U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 06-23-2011, 03:47 PM
 
Location: Dalton Gardens
2,798 posts, read 5,370,653 times
Reputation: 1575

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWookie47 View Post
I was just hanging out with a Korean girl who was learning French. Does that count? She spoke a lot of languages.
I'm sure she is learning French because it is a personal CHOICE and not something she MUST do. Or maybe she wants to travel and is being courteous enough to LEARN the language of those foreign countries she plans to stop in.

 
Old 06-23-2011, 03:47 PM
 
22 posts, read 8,689 times
Reputation: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanna View Post
Americans of all colors are being discriminated against because they do not know Spanish, including my nephew-in-law who is half-Mexican.

There are no laws keeping illegals from learning English either!

I hold every requisite skill listed in the jobs I apply for, except one...the ability to speak SPANISH! When this is the sole reason that someone is not being employed in this country there is something terribly wrong. Even most call center jobs are preferring it. My son has worked in two call centers, where Spanish speaking employees were paid MORE, but they actually dealt with LESS calls which required speaking in Spanish.
I see this as just a side effect of high unemployment. More labor supply == pickier hiring. More people out there looking for work means a higher chance they'll find somebody with 100% of the desired skills and not just 95% of them. I have hired a half dozen people this year and I can tell you there is no shortage of very skilled people out there looking for work. Which is good for me because I don't have to settle on somebody without a skill I deem important. I'm not racially discriminating, I'm hiring the best available person.
 
Old 06-23-2011, 03:52 PM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,161,367 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvn View Post
So it was a suggestion, not a demand? It seems like a pretty good suggestion to me. Shouldn't Americans be all about adapting to changing conditions so as to do BETTER than "everyone else"? Didn't you get all indignant when I suggested some Americans had a bloated sense of entitlement? BUt now you're saying the rest of the world should just roll over for Americans because... we're Americans!!!! If you don't want to learn Spanish DON'T. But don't complain when someone with more skills than you finds jobs you can't compete for.
It is being required/demanded in many hiring practices today and being required in many schools today. Is that enough "demand" for you?

Adapting to changing conditions? You mean like uncontrolled population growth by illegal entry from mostly one ethnic group? We should adapt to their langauge? You can't be serious. Since most Hispanic-Americans know how to speak English what adaptation do we need lingually?

Asking that our immigration laws be enforced and for immigrants to assimilate to our society is a bloated sense of entitlement? Don't we have that right in our own country and not be critized for it?

Being able to communicate with illegal invaders is not a "skill" it is pandering to lawbreakers while denying English speaking Americans a job. You have a twisted sense of logic of what fair competition is in the job market.
 
Old 06-23-2011, 03:55 PM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,161,367 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvn View Post
Teach your kids whatever you want. Teach them 2+2=5. Then complain that nobody wants to hire them.
Another ridiculous statement.
 
Old 06-23-2011, 03:57 PM
pvn
 
103 posts, read 42,973 times
Reputation: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanna View Post
So, according to your argument, an illegal who comes here with the ability to speak Spanish is automatically MORE skilled than an American who doesn't speak Spanish?
well it depends on what skills the person you're doing business with needs. It doesn't depend on what skills YOU think the person doing the hiring SHOULD value. If you disagree with that guy maybe you should go into business competing against him.
 
Old 06-23-2011, 04:00 PM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,161,367 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by sackaroni View Post
When did you run up against a law requiring private employers to require Spanish language? Or a law keeping you from learning Spanish? Or a law that says only people with more skin pigment than yourself can know Spanish?

You are not being discriminated against for being white. YOU ARE BEING DISCRIMINATED AGAINST FOR NOT HAVING THE REQUISITE SKILLS.
Except these "requisite skills" are discriminating against English speakers to pander to illegal aliens for a buck. Black and Asian Americans don't usually speak Spanish either so they are also being discriminated against to pander to illegal aliens. Those non-Spanish speakers applying for those jobs probably have just as much skill and experience to handle the job as the Spanish speaker does and in some cases probably more qualifed. So it isn't about "skils" per se.
 
Old 06-23-2011, 04:00 PM
 
22 posts, read 8,689 times
Reputation: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Being able to communicate with illegal invaders is not a "skill" it is pandering to lawbreakers while denying English speaking Americans a job. You have a twisted sense of logic of what fair competition is in the job market.
Contrary to whatever jobs you're familiar with, my company invites customers from all countries speaking whatever languages to enjoy our goods and services. Being a mono-lingual American I love the chance to hire employees with second and third languages to improve our product and service our growing customer base. If somebody wants to be your customer, and you treat that potential customer as an illegal invader because they are more comfortable with the Spanish language, then I really really hope that I am your competitor.
 
Old 06-23-2011, 04:01 PM
pvn
 
103 posts, read 42,973 times
Reputation: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
It is being required/demanded in many hiring practices today and being required in many schools today. Is that enough "demand" for you?

Adapting to changing conditions? You mean like uncontrolled population growth by illegal entry from mostly one ethnic group? We should adapt to their langauge? You can't be serious. Since most Hispanic-Americans know how to speak English what adaptation do we need lingually?

Asking that our immigration laws be enforced and for immigrants to assimilate to our society is a bloated sense of entitlement? Don't we have that right in our own country and not be critized for it?

Being able to communicate with illegal invaders is not a "skill" it is pandering to lawbreakers while denying English speaking Americans a job. You have a twisted sense of logic of what fair competition is in the job market.
So, which of these statements do you agree with and which do you disagree with:

[ ] I want a job
[ ] I am entitled to a job
[ ] I don't want to learn spanish
[ ] I'm too lazy to learn spanish
[ ] I'm too dumb to learn spanish
[ ] I want a particular job but the guy hiring wants someone who can speak spanish
[ ] someone should force him to give me the job anyway
[ ] because I'm __________________ (just fill in the blank on this one)
[ ] demanding a job I'm not qualified for doesn't mean I have a sense of entitlement
 
Old 06-23-2011, 04:01 PM
 
Location: Pa
20,310 posts, read 18,902,906 times
Reputation: 6517
Ok we all know where I stand on illegal immigration.
If a private company sets a standard based on what they feel is needed for their business to succeed thats up to them. I hate the press 1 for english crap. But to blame this on illegal immigration is crazy. Its because we have so many spanish speakers. And that is the only reason.
A few years back my wife who is Thai went for her drivers test. Now I did see discrimination that day. Spanish speakers could have a relative or friend help them on their test. My wife a Thai speaker was denied this same opprotunity.
This has nothing to do with illegal immigration either.
 
Old 06-23-2011, 04:02 PM
pvn
 
103 posts, read 42,973 times
Reputation: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Another ridiculous statement.
what's ridiculous about it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top