U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2011, 03:03 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,156,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvn View Post
How many people have you hired?

It's pretty rare to find someone that has ALL the required skills for any job. You make decisions based on information available. And I can think of a lot of cases where being bilingual provides a huge amount of benefits. It's a skill that takes a lot of investment to pick up, much more than learning how to use some goofy computer program.

Are you suggesting that business owners shouldn't be allowed to decide for themselves what skills are important for their employees to have? I mean these are employer decisions, right? It's not like Obama is getting all into their business and telling them to hire mexicans, is it? If it is I'd definitely love to hear that, but the information I have says it's just regular old business owners making their own decisions.
Right, making the decision to pander to illegal aliens for a buck and therefore denying a job to an English speaking American.

Old 06-23-2011, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sackaroni View Post
So companies that service their customers better by offering Spanish language services are anti-American? Not sure where to go from there. I apologize if you are butt-hurt when applicants with more of the desired skills get hired for jobs.
First, this isn't about me as I am retired. But I feel for our native English speakers being replaced by Spanish speakers on the job just to pander to illegal aliens. There is no need to offer services in Spanish otherwise. You call it a skill, I call it pandering and discrimination.

Old 06-23-2011, 03:06 PM

22 posts, read 8,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Except these "requisite skills" are discriminating against English speakers to pander to illegal aliens for a buck.
In my company it's our job to pander to any potential customer for a buck. Not just illegal aliens, but I'll gladly accept their money as well.

Old 06-23-2011, 03:08 PM
pvn

103 posts, read 42,948 times
Quote:
Right, making the decision to pander to illegal aliens for a buck and therefore denying a job to an English speaking American.
So is that guy entitled to a job or not? Your answer seems to keep changing.

Old 06-23-2011, 03:09 PM
pvn

Quote:
First, this isn't about me as I am retired. But I feel for our native English speakers being replaced by Spanish speakers on the job just to pander to illegal aliens. There is no need to offer services in Spanish otherwise. You call it a skill, I call it pandering and discrimination.
how is it discrimination?????? You're talking about a company that is trying to INCREASE the number of customers it can interact with. Not arbitrarily limit who they'll do business with.

Old 06-23-2011, 03:09 PM

12,775 posts, read 9,447,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CP7 View Post
I feel ya man, I went to a job interview the other day and had to walk out when I discovered that they required a college degree. This is America! I shouldn't be forced to develop a skill set that is valuable and relevant to my potential employer in order to work for them.
English is a skill everybody needs to learn to work in this country. That's why they have the term "second language".

Old 06-23-2011, 03:11 PM
pvn

Quote:
Originally Posted by sackaroni View Post
In my company it's our job to pander to any potential customer for a buck. Not just illegal aliens, but I'll gladly accept their money as well.
This. We try to hire people who understand languages like C and Fortran and Ruby and Python and Perl in addition to English because our customers use those languages. If we hire guys who only know english our customers won't be as happy and will be less likely to give us money.

Old 06-23-2011, 03:12 PM
pvn

Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
English is a skill everybody needs to learn to work in this country. That's why they have the term "second language".
And if I decide to hire someone who doesn't speak english?

Old 06-23-2011, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvn View Post
So, which of these statements do you agree with and which do you disagree with:

[ ] I want a job
[ ] I am entitled to a job
[ ] I don't want to learn spanish
[ ] I'm too lazy to learn spanish
[ ] I'm too dumb to learn spanish
[ ] I want a particular job but the guy hiring wants someone who can speak spanish
[ ] someone should force him to give me the job anyway
[ ] because I'm __________________ (just fill in the blank on this one)
[ ] demanding a job I'm not qualified for doesn't mean I have a sense of entitlement
I am retired so I don't need a job. However, my sympathy lies with native English speakers because that is our national language.

I am neither lazy or dumb. I just don't want to learn Spanish because I have no need for it. My Hispanic-American friends know English so we are quite capable of communicating with one another.

I have always been well qualifed in my working career for what I did. Spanish back then was not a requirement on most jobs. A couple of decades changed all that by an illegal invasion.

Old 06-23-2011, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Ok we all know where I stand on illegal immigration.
If a private company sets a standard based on what they feel is needed for their business to succeed thats up to them. I hate the press 1 for english crap. But to blame this on illegal immigration is crazy. Its because we have so many spanish speakers. And that is the only reason.
A few years back my wife who is Thai went for her drivers test. Now I did see discrimination that day. Spanish speakers could have a relative or friend help them on their test. My wife a Thai speaker was denied this same opprotunity.
This has nothing to do with illegal immigration either.
Most Hispanic-Americans know how to speak English so the only reason that Spanish is being pushed is because of the illegal kind here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or