U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2011, 04:36 PM
pvn

103 posts, read 43,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
No, of course not but what has that to do with illegal immigration?
The post he was responding to said "We don't want divisions, they are not good for this country."

Old 06-23-2011, 04:38 PM
pvn

Quote:
If they are loyal Americans they won't deny an English speaking American a job to pander to illegal aliens just for a buck.
So only illegals speak spanish? Is there some sort of law prohibiting REAL Americans (you know, the loyal kind) from learning unpatriotic languages?

Old 06-23-2011, 04:38 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,176,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sackaroni View Post
What if it's so they can communicate with legal invaders? Or customers in Mexico? Spain? Why exactly do you get to tell me who I should hire?
If your business is in the tourist industry or you deal with foreign countries that is a whole different ball of wax. Denying an English speaking American a job based on not knowing the language of illegal invaders under most normal cirumstances is quite another story.

I am not telling you who you should hire. I am just saying that your hiring practices are discriminating. It has nothing to do with actual job skills but to pander to illegals for a buck.

Old 06-23-2011, 04:40 PM

46 posts, read 19,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
Ain't gonna happen
Si se puede means we shall overcome...........NO YOU WILL NOT! You want to live in Mexico, stay in Mehico.
No. Poder is the verb meaning to be able. Superar is the verb meaning to overcome. Si means yes and the se is a reflexive pronoun to make it passive. It means it can be done, or alternativly yes we can ( do it)

Old 06-23-2011, 04:40 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,176,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvn View Post
So only illegals speak spanish? Is there some sort of law prohibiting REAL Americans (you know, the loyal kind) from learning unpatriotic languages?
Most of them do. You rarely read employment ads requiring Mandarin to be spoken to gain employment in most jobs.

No language is unpartriotic. But why should Americans learn foreign languages to accomodate foreigners? Shouldn't it be the other way around?

Old 06-23-2011, 04:44 PM

192 posts, read 91,664 times
Quote:
Most of them do. You rarely read employment ads requiring Mandarin to be spoken to gain employment in most jobs.

No language is unpartriotic. But why should Americans learn foreign languages to accomodate foreigners? Shouldn't it be the other way around?
When I was in Germany, I spoke German with the waiters and such, but I'd slip on a word, or maybe my accent would give me away, and then they'd happily talk English with me. It was good for their businesses.

Old 06-23-2011, 04:46 PM
pvn

Quote:
Quote:

"Most illegals speak spanish" might be true but that isn't what I asked. You are assuming that someone who gets a job because he speaks spanish is an illegal.

Quote:
English speaking Americans should be insulated from being denied a job where they have the same qualifications or even more as a Spanish speaker where the employer is giving the job to the Spanish speaker just because he/she can communicate with illegal invaders.
I can't see any other way of reading this unless you're assuming people are only capable of speaking one language (this might explain your aversion to learning spanish, I wouldn't want to forget english either). But in that case are english speaking americans more worthy of protection than spanish speaking americans?

Old 06-23-2011, 04:49 PM
pvn

Quote:
But why should Americans learn foreign languages to accomodate foreigners?
Making your customers comfortable and making sure you can clearly communicate with them is a pretty good business practice IMO. Why should anyone have to satisfy YOUR demands for explanations as to why they want to communicate with these people?

Old 06-23-2011, 04:49 PM

22 posts, read 8,706 times
Quote:
I am not telling you who you should hire. I am just saying that your hiring practices are discriminating. It has nothing to do with actual job skills but to pander to illegals for a buck.
Speaking another language is often a very important "actual job skill" for almost any business these days. Legal or not, there are a lot of Spanish speaking people in the country who do business. Their demographic purchasing power is probably more than yours. Any company with a website should consider at least a Spanish version of it. It's not some kind of side thing that has nothing to do with your company's mission.

Old 06-23-2011, 04:51 PM

12,775 posts, read 9,475,798 times
Quote:
Ok, so all of this hand-wringing about people who don't speak english taking all the jobs is worrying over nothing.

Good to know! I guess we can just close up this forum.
Not true. Federal, State and local governments are given incentive to promote minorities. The construction company owned by the immigrant, or the female, is given top priority. Feds will pay a portion of the bridge repair, depending upon who we hire. We can no longer just look to price, quality and experience. Affirmative action is destructive. Qualifications are all that should matter. And mandatory E-verify!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or