U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 06-22-2011, 09:00 PM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,152,437 times
Reputation: 2130

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreasuredJewel View Post
Anti American languages? You do know tha America is the land of immigrants who, first language might have not been English,

Look at our states names - California, Florida, Texas, Montana, Neveda. Even within these states some of the cities have spanish names - Los Angeles, El Paso, san diego, las vegas, etc. These states are represented in the 50 stars on our American flag! How can anyone be this ignorant. Louisiana is heavily French influenced and a lot of other states have Native american language names to them. Mardi Gras is popular in my state (not directly in my area however) and that is definitely not an English word. We here in the USA enjoy pizza which was originated in Italy. I can go on and on but you get my drift. America is home to a lot of "UnAmerican" cultures and you seem to have a problem with accepting this country for what it is.

I actually find learning other languages and cultures very exiciting and educational, why some people on here despise other cultures I have no idea. You act like learning another language is going to kill you, when learning other languages opens more doors in employment which is definitely a good thing.
That's all well and good but that doesn't negate the fact that the language we adopted is our defacto national language of English. If you want to learn another language then have at it but no American should be forced to learn the language of illegal invaders. We are no longer a land of immigrants either, we are a land of Americans by several generations now. American citizens well outnumber any immigrants these days. Time we shed that stupid label and be allowed to take on an identity of our own which is a land of Americans.

Who despises other cultures? Just because many Americans don't want to learn another language that means they despise other cultures? Is language the only thing that defines a culture? I don't think so. Food, holidays, historical events all define other cultures also. I don't remember the last time any American refused to eat pizza, a taco or sauerbraten. Stretching the truth does nothing to lend credibility.

Most jobs in this country do not require anything but English but with the influx of so many illegal alien Spanish speakers that is all changing but it shouldn't. As I said, no one should have to learn the language of invaders to get a job in their own country.

 
Old 06-22-2011, 09:09 PM
 
192 posts, read 91,410 times
Reputation: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
That's all well and good but that doesn't negate the fact that the language we adopted is our defacto national language of English. If you want to learn another language then have at it but no American should be forced to learn the language of illegal invaders. We are no longer a land of immigrants either, we are a land of Americans by several generations now. American citizens well outnumber any immigrants these days. Time we shed that stupid label and be allowed to take on an identity of our own which is a land of Americans.

Who despises other cultures? Just because many Americans don't want to learn another language that means they despise other cultures? Is language the only thing that defines a culture? I don't think so. Food, holidays, historical events all define other cultures also. I don't remember the last time any American refused to eat pizza, a taco or sauerbraten. Stretching the truth does nothing to lend credibility.

Most jobs in this country do not require anything but English but with the influx of so many illegal alien Spanish speakers that is all changing but it shouldn't. As I said, no one should have to learn the language of invaders to get a job in their own country.
Well, you'd better start writing state legislatures, then. There are millions of students in this country being forced, FORCED to learn an anti-American language.
 
Old 06-22-2011, 09:09 PM
 
1,569 posts, read 1,005,489 times
Reputation: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
That's all well and good but that doesn't negate the fact that the language we adopted is our defacto national language of English. If you want to learn another language then have at it but no American should be forced to learn the language of illegal invaders. We are no longer a land of immigrants either, we are a land of Americans by several generations now. American citizens well outnumber any immigrants these days. Time we shed that stupid label and be allowed to take on an identity of our own which is a land of Americans.

Who despises other cultures? Just because many Americans don't want to learn another language that means they despise other cultures? Is language the only thing that defines a culture? I don't think so. Food, holidays, historical events all define other cultures also. I don't remember the last time any American refused to eat pizza, a taco or sauerbraten. Stretching the truth does nothing to lend credibility.

Most jobs in this country do not require anything but English but with the influx of so many illegal alien Spanish speakers that is all changing but it shouldn't. As I said, no one should have to learn the language of invaders to get a job in their own country.
So one kid is apparently being taught Spanish when it doesn't seem like he wants to learn it, and you are now up in arms about Americans being "forced" to learn Spanish. That is just not happening on a scale worth discussing. People are learning Spanish because so many people in America now speak it.
 
Old 06-22-2011, 09:38 PM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,152,437 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWookie47 View Post
Well, you'd better start writing state legislatures, then. There are millions of students in this country being forced, FORCED to learn an anti-American language.

No one is calling other languages "anti-American" all we are saying is that English is our language and not Spanish or any other language.
 
Old 06-22-2011, 09:40 PM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,152,437 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmadinejad View Post
So one kid is apparently being taught Spanish when it doesn't seem like he wants to learn it, and you are now up in arms about Americans being "forced" to learn Spanish. That is just not happening on a scale worth discussing. People are learning Spanish because so many people in America now speak it.
Except that most Hispanic-Americans know how to speak English so why should we learn Spanish to communicate with them? This is all about pandering to illegal aliens, nothing more and nothing less.
 
Old 06-22-2011, 09:40 PM
 
1,569 posts, read 1,005,489 times
Reputation: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
No one is calling other languages "anti-American" all we are saying is that English is our language and not Spanish or any other language.
Except that it's not, so you actually moved to "de facto" language, aka "the language that almost everyone speaks." But obviously if people want to learn others, or if schools feel it'd be helpful, then there shouldn't be any barriers to them doing so within reason.
 
Old 06-22-2011, 09:55 PM
 
192 posts, read 91,410 times
Reputation: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Except that most Hispanic-Americans know how to speak English so why should we learn Spanish to communicate with them? This is all about pandering to illegal aliens, nothing more and nothing less.
Let's say you moved to Norway. Legally, of course. You say you'd learn Norwegian, yes? Great. You got pretty good at speaking Norwegian. Let's say you got called to testify in a Norwegian court because you happened to happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time and you witnessed a bank robbery. You could be tried for perjury if you give false testimony. Would you consider asking the court for an interpreter through whom you'd give your testimony, or would you roll with your knowledge of Norwegian?
 
Old 06-22-2011, 09:58 PM
 
Location: Inis Fada
16,685 posts, read 27,902,869 times
Reputation: 7177
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
And with better structural rules than English (all words sound exactly like they are spelled, so there are also no confusing homonyms). Vowel sounds are consistent. It might be something easier to learn (language use while young is the best time to be taught) that can help.
Would you say it is better to take the easier approach and teach USC's to speak Spanish as it is less complex than English, as opposed to expecting any immigrants (illegal or otherwise) to learn English?
 
Old 06-22-2011, 10:01 PM
 
192 posts, read 91,410 times
Reputation: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Would you say it is better to take the easier approach and teach USC's to speak Spanish as it is less complex than English, as opposed to expecting any immigrants (illegal or otherwise) to learn English?
Would you say that, for any given individual, learning a language other than his or her native tongue is an asset, or a perversion of his or her culture?
 
Old 06-22-2011, 10:48 PM
 
Location: Inis Fada
16,685 posts, read 27,902,869 times
Reputation: 7177
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWookie47 View Post
Would you say that, for any given individual, learning a language other than his or her native tongue is an asset, or a perversion of his or her culture?
Would you say for someone entering another culture, it is disrespectful not to learn the language of the culture they are entering?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top