U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 09:35 AM

403 posts, read 281,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Then if they don't want to assimilate to our language and culture then why even come here?
Perhaps it's for the Cheesy Gordita Crunch at Taco Bell? That **** is dank.

Old 06-23-2011, 09:35 AM

1,569 posts, read 1,006,304 times
Quote:
I didn't move to anything. Both statements are correct. English is our de facto national language and most Americans do speak it.

As I said, if someone wants to learn another langauge that is their choice but no way should any American be "required" to learn a particular one like Spanish. Which is the only one being pushed in this country.
Oh my bad, I didn't realize that you thought there was actually an issue with people being "required" to learn Spanish.

Schools have choices about what to teach, and parents have options about what their children learn. There are no laws or anything mandating learning Spanish that I am aware of, although there are laws that effectively mandate learning math, which, as we all know, is the language of smarty pants academic jerks.

Old 06-23-2011, 09:36 AM

14,307 posts, read 11,158,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmadinejad View Post
Economic opportunity? To see some distant relatives? I don't concern myself with things like this. I live in Philly most of the year, but I don't think people who arrive should be forced to eat cheesesteaks and root for the Phillies. These are personal choices that every person is free to make.
No one should move "permanently" to another country just so they can be a cash cow for them. They should try to be a part of our society. If they are just visiting for a short time then I wouldn't expect the same from them. You are mixing the two group and you know that is ridiculous.

Old 06-23-2011, 09:38 AM

14,307 posts, read 11,158,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmadinejad View Post
Oh my bad, I didn't realize that you thought there was actually an issue with people being "required" to learn Spanish.

Schools have choices about what to teach, and parents have options about what their children learn. There are no laws or anything mandating learning Spanish that I am aware of, although there are laws that effectively mandate learning math, which, as we all know, is the language of smarty pants academic jerks.
I don't have the cites readily available but I believe in parts of the southwest Spanish is being "required" as part of the ciriculum. If memory serves me right other posters have provided proof of that.

Old 06-23-2011, 09:40 AM

Quote:
No one should move "permanently" to another country just so they can be a cash cow for them. They should try to be a part of our society. If they are just visiting for a short time then I wouldn't expect the same from them. You are mixing the two group and you know that is ridiculous.
As much as I appreciate your personal sentiment about what is or is not a good reason for someone to move, economic opportunity is a pretty common one (oh my bad, I didn't mean economic opportunity - I meant USING A NATION AS A CASH COW - much more dramatic).

I mean, I have moved for jobs and school. I moved to Philly to go to school, and I would assume you don't feel that I NEED to assimilate into Philadelphian culture.

Old 06-23-2011, 09:41 AM

Quote:
I don't have the cites readily available but I believe in parts of the southwest Spanish is being "required" as part of the ciriculum. If memory serves me right other posters have provided proof of that.
Schools require all sorts of things, as I said. My high school mandated a foreign language, and you had the option of German, Spanish, or French. Y

Old 06-23-2011, 09:43 AM

46 posts, read 19,051 times
Quote:
I didn't move to anything. Both statements are correct. English is our de facto national language and most Americans do speak it.

As I said, if someone wants to learn another langauge that is their choice but no way should any American be "required" to learn a particular one like Spanish. Which is the only one being pushed in this country.
You're going to have to define pushed in a more coherent way. Is Spanish being legally pushed, culturally pushed, or pushed in a practical sense that more people speak Spanish than there were before?

Old 06-23-2011, 09:44 AM

2,788 posts, read 4,242,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWookie47 View Post
High schools in CT, DC, NJ, and NY all require 1 or 2 years of some non-English language. In a number of other states, I could have sent my kid to band class or something instead of him getting forced to talk like some illegal immigrant or some European fruitbag, but I'm stuck in NY.

http://mb2.ecs.org/reports/Report.aspx?id=905

Forced to talk like some illegal? accents are beautiful and sexy..euorpean fruit bag......Wow! Are you kids racist like you?

Old 06-23-2011, 09:44 AM

403 posts, read 281,026 times
Quote:
Why is assimilation so important to you?

Old 06-23-2011, 09:45 AM

192 posts, read 91,507 times
Quote:
I already listed the states that required foreign language education in high school. None were in the southwest. Virtually all decent colleges require some foreign language.

Even so, while I'll grant that offering a students a choice of what language to learn is best, let's assume that in some smaller districts that can't afford or make use of a half dozen different foreign language teachers. Such a district only offers Spanish. It's in a state that doesn't require foreign language education. Are students who elect to take Spanish worse off than students who do not?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or