U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 06-23-2011, 09:46 AM
 
1,569 posts, read 1,007,399 times
Reputation: 111

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepgirl27 View Post
Forced to talk like some illegal? accents are beautiful and sexy..euorpean fruit bag......Wow! Are you kids racist like you?
I'd say that you have problems with sarcasm detection, but what MrWookie47 said is basically in line with a large number of posts I've seen, so I can't blame you.

 
Old 06-23-2011, 09:46 AM
 
Location: colorado
2,788 posts, read 4,250,978 times
Reputation: 3312
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWookie47 View Post
All American businesses should be ENGLISH ONLY. We didn't win a war against the English, only to have some other language crammed down our throats.

This post is the most ridiculous Ive read here.....
 
Old 06-23-2011, 09:48 AM
 
9,243 posts, read 7,118,732 times
Reputation: 2199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visit a Library View Post
How about the language the nation's constitution is written in?
English is a citizen requirement therefore official language to be American
 
Old 06-23-2011, 09:50 AM
 
192 posts, read 91,631 times
Reputation: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
English is a citizen requirement therefore official language to be American
No it's not. Do you see why?
 
Old 06-23-2011, 09:52 AM
 
1,569 posts, read 1,007,399 times
Reputation: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
English is a citizen requirement therefore official language to be American
A. No.
B. Seriously dude, no.
 
Old 06-23-2011, 09:59 AM
 
46 posts, read 19,079 times
Reputation: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWookie47 View Post
I already listed the states that required foreign language education in high school. None were in the southwest. Virtually all decent colleges require some foreign language.

Even so, while I'll grant that offering a students a choice of what language to learn is best, let's assume that in some smaller districts that can't afford or make use of a half dozen different foreign language teachers. Such a district only offers Spanish. It's in a state that doesn't require foreign language education. Are students who elect to take Spanish worse off than students who do not?
My high school required 2 years of foreign language, with Spanish being the only language offered because of financial reasons.
 
Old 06-23-2011, 10:03 AM
 
Location: colorado
2,788 posts, read 4,250,978 times
Reputation: 3312
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Would you say for someone entering another culture, it is disrespectful not to learn the language of the culture they are entering?

No..I only speak english..most of my family speak spanish...My fathers first language was spanish..so was my moms..yes they learned english, and they taught us english, just because I'm an American citizen does mean we have the same culture..I'm sure its not..My culture is probably not the same as yours...if you came to our house..are you going to learn spanish since your are entering our culture..
 
Old 06-23-2011, 10:07 AM
 
3,493 posts, read 2,391,246 times
Reputation: 2345
My daughter's elementary school requires her to learn Spanish. It is very annoying. No other languages are offered. I find that somewhat offensive. Why aren't kids being given the option to study Italian or French or Russian or Hebrew?

You move here voluntarily you should acquire English fluency as soon as possible. You should not demand interpreters or any other accommodations at public expense. You certainly should not demand that I learn YOUR language.

Far too many illegals and nitwit advocates seem to believe that monolingualism is a perfectly understandable choice just as long as the person in question is an illegal. So they have no problem chiding Americans for not speaking Spanish even though many Americans have no use for the language other than to speak with illegals. Then they turn around and defend the actions of someone who lives here illegally for twenty years and still remains stubbornly ignorant of even rudimentary English.

The double standard grows wearisome when repeated endlessly.
 
Old 06-23-2011, 10:09 AM
 
1,569 posts, read 1,007,399 times
Reputation: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
My daughter's elementary school requires her to learn Spanish. It is very annoying. No other languages are offered. I find that somewhat offensive. Why aren't kids being given the option to study Italian or French or Russian or Hebrew?

You move here voluntarily you should acquire English fluency as soon as possible. You should not demand interpreters or any other accommodations at public expense. You certainly should not demand that I learn YOUR language.

Far too many illegals and nitwit advocates seem to believe that monolingualism is a perfectly understandable choice just as long as the person in question is an illegal. So they have no problem chiding Americans for not speaking Spanish even though many Americans have no use for the language other than to speak with illegals. Then they turn around and defend the actions of someone who lives here illegally for twenty years and still remains stubbornly ignorant of even rudimentary English.

The double standard grows wearisome when repeated endlessly.
Is there a single person posting in this thread who has expressed this double standard?
 
Old 06-23-2011, 10:13 AM
 
3,493 posts, read 2,391,246 times
Reputation: 2345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmadinejad View Post
Is there a single person posting in this thread who has expressed this double standard?
Many illegal immigration advocates do so. They shrug when confronted with someone who has lived in the US for decades and still does not speak English. They then turn around and demand that Americans learn Spanish. I've heard it time and again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top