U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2011, 09:51 AM

192 posts, read 91,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
That was my answer.
OK, would a "Chinavillage" cropping up in, say, Mukilteo, Washington, Mankato, Minnesota, Dickshooter, Idaho, Yazoo City, Mississippi, Loveladies, New Jersey, and/or Spunky Puddle, Ohio make your culture worse?

Old 06-23-2011, 09:52 AM

9,243 posts, read 7,103,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRavenSpeaks View Post
That's actually an excellent comparison in a lot of ways. Obviously there was a similar hullaballoo concerning the Chinese in the last century. A fairly large group of people move to the US and self-ghettoized, in many cases never really assimilating at all.

I can't say that it's a particularly good thing. You end up with a reservation, with many of it's own laws and it's own language, plonked down in the middle of a US city. It's a form of colony really. The end game is Yugoslavia.

That really is the main issue with Latinos, there's no ocean between Mexico and the US. The sheer numbers involved will obviously lead to a different conclusion than Chinese immigration. Imagine what would happen if we had an open border policy with Asia, even with their new-found successes. You wouldn't have Chinatown, you'd have Chinastate.

It's a form of cultural evolution really. If your own culture simply doesn't feel the will to live anymore, then it's resources will be co-opted by another. My guess is that the Swiss will exist as a people long after the history of the US becomes a trivia question.

Its a bad comparison.

How many bilingual Chinese signs you see vs Spanish?
How many Chinese communities you see vs Spanish?
How many Chinese illegals you see vs Hispanic?

I could go on and on.

Old 06-23-2011, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWookie47 View Post
OK, would a "Chinavillage" cropping up in, say, Mukilteo, Washington, Mankato, Minnesota, Dickshooter, Idaho, Yazoo City, Mississippi, Loveladies, New Jersey, and/or Spunky Puddle, Ohio make your culture worse?
Only if they don't assimilate and pick fights with the inhabitants.

Sure it would affect the culture negatively.

Can u answer my airport question?

Old 06-23-2011, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRavenSpeaks View Post
That's actually an excellent comparison in a lot of ways. Obviously there was a similar hullaballoo concerning the Chinese in the last century. A fairly large group of people move to the US and self-ghettoized, in many cases never really assimilating at all.
They also were subjected to racist laws and de facto segregation

Quote:
I can't say that it's a particularly good thing. You end up with a reservation, with many of it's own laws and it's own language, plonked down in the middle of a US city. It's a form of colony really. The end game is Yugoslavia.
Or maybe, the endgame is exactly what we have today: a cool part of the city that looks different from the main grind and where I can find some really awesome food.

Quote:
It's a form of cultural evolution really. If your own culture simply doesn't feel the will to live anymore, then it's resources will be co-opted by another. My guess is that the Swiss will exist as a people long after the history of the US becomes a trivia question.
Just quoting this to read it again.

Old 06-23-2011, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Only if they don't assimilate and pick fights with the inhabitants.

Sure it would affect the culture negatively.

Can u answer my airport question?
Let's assume that they don't pick fights with the inhabitants. However, what's your definition of "assimilate?" The Chinavillages would have different signage, different architecture, they would often speak Chinese, and the inhabitants of the Chinavillages look different from the average person in Dickshooter, ID.

I don't see an airport question.

Old 06-23-2011, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Would u let millions of undocumented immigrants at the airport enter this country unchecked?

Old 06-23-2011, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Let's assume that they don't pick fights with the inhabitants. However, what's your definition of "assimilate?" The Chinavillages would have different signage, different architecture, they would often speak Chinese, and the inhabitants of the Chinavillages look different from the average person in Dickshooter, ID.

Assimilate is blending into the culture.

You assimilate because you love or want to be apart of the country you immigrated to.
Not demand things be changed because you don't like the existing culture

Old 06-23-2011, 10:03 AM

12,775 posts, read 9,448,534 times
This is hilarious. Harvard did the most extensive study on diversity in our culture, and didn't like the results.
The downside of diversity - The Boston Globe
It is a fact that the most successful society's are basically homogeneous, because they have a united identity. That only makes common sense.

Old 06-23-2011, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Assimilate is blending into the culture.
Well, is the above description "blending in," according to you?

Old 06-23-2011, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Well, is the above description "blending in," according to you?
I edited my previous post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or