U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 06-23-2011, 11:06 AM
 
9,243 posts, read 7,147,027 times
Reputation: 2200

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
This is hilarious. Harvard did the most extensive study on diversity in our culture, and didn't like the results.
The downside of diversity - The Boston Globe
It is a fact that the most successful society's are basically homogeneous, because they have a united identity. That only makes common sense.
Diversity does not mean right to invade or encourage illegal activity.

 
Old 06-23-2011, 11:12 AM
 
192 posts, read 92,092 times
Reputation: 37
OK then. The Chinavillages aren't demanding changes. They're just building their own buildings as they think they should be built, and they open businesses as the entrepreneurial spirit strikes them. Do they make the culture worse?
 
Old 06-23-2011, 11:15 AM
 
192 posts, read 92,092 times
Reputation: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
This is hilarious. Harvard did the most extensive study on diversity in our culture, and didn't like the results.
The downside of diversity - The Boston Globe
It is a fact that the most successful society's are basically homogeneous, because they have a united identity. That only makes common sense.
That humans are hardwired to be inclined towards tribalism, racism, etc. is not groundbreaking stuff. Nor does this study mean that such behavior is commendable, laudable, or unfixable.

Quote:
In his paper, Putnam cites the work done by Page and others, and uses it to help frame his conclusion that increasing diversity in America is not only inevitable, but ultimately valuable and enriching.
 
Old 06-23-2011, 11:20 AM
pvn
 
103 posts, read 43,258 times
Reputation: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanna View Post
I can remember a time when all of the Hispanics I knew spoke fluent English and they never demanded that we start to learn Spanish in order to communicate with them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Except that most Hispanic-Americans know how to speak English so why should we learn Spanish to communicate with them? This is all about pandering to illegal aliens, nothing more and nothing less.

Could you please elaborate a bit? Who, exactly, is DEMANDING that you learn spanish? Who, exactly, is forcing you to communicate with illegal aliens?
 
Old 06-23-2011, 11:22 AM
pvn
 
103 posts, read 43,258 times
Reputation: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
My daughter's elementary school requires her to learn Spanish. It is very annoying. No other languages are offered. I find that somewhat offensive. Why aren't kids being given the option to study Italian or French or Russian or Hebrew?
Are you being legally prevented from teaching your kids those languages???
 
Old 06-23-2011, 11:41 AM
 
Location: Northern CA
12,775 posts, read 9,511,267 times
Reputation: 4238
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWookie47 View Post
That humans are hardwired to be inclined towards tribalism, racism, etc. is not groundbreaking stuff. Nor does this study mean that such behavior is commendable, laudable, or unfixable.
Can you tell me how Miami has been enriched, or how about Dearborn, Michigan?
 
Old 06-23-2011, 11:45 AM
 
192 posts, read 92,092 times
Reputation: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
Can you tell me how Miami has been enriched, or how about Dearborn, Michigan?
One way:



 
Old 06-23-2011, 11:48 AM
 
403 posts, read 282,266 times
Reputation: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
Can you tell me how Miami has been enriched, or how about Dearborn, Michigan?
hotlatinasinthongstoplessonbeach.jpg
 
Old 06-23-2011, 12:00 PM
 
9,243 posts, read 7,147,027 times
Reputation: 2200
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvn View Post
Could you please elaborate a bit? Who, exactly, is DEMANDING that you learn spanish? Who, exactly, is forcing you to communicate with illegal aliens?
In many cities more than half the jobs require you to speak Spanish.
 
Old 06-23-2011, 12:02 PM
 
192 posts, read 92,092 times
Reputation: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
In many cities more than half the jobs require you to speak Spanish.
Citation needed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top