U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2011, 04:10 PM

106 posts, read 216,419 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmadinejad View Post
Right, but they are making so little that they generally would have either zero or close to zero income taxes to begin with. Thus the taxes they end up paying are the ones that all low-income people end up paying - property taxes, sales taxes, and so forth.

I believe that it should be much easier to legally immigrate here. None of the data actually indicates that the burden on the welfare system is as severe as you seem to be claiming.
I am not talking about welfare. First, we have to realize that their children wouldn't be here if they weren't. That includes their American born. Regardless, schools and medical care are two of the biggest burdens they are placing on our society.

This is the illegal immigration forum so I really shouldn't comment on "legal" immigration.

Old 06-23-2011, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sackaroni View Post
That "few" is actually 75% of illegals according to the SS office. They all pay federal and state taxes, don't file returns for a refund, and pay 15% into Social Security which they will never be able to use.

Which is illegal regardless of immigration status.

And their tax money. That's not even counting sales tax, property tax, etc. that we all pay everyday.
2.5 million out of 12-20 million is not 75%. Not even close.

Many illegal immigrants pay up at tax time - USATODAY.com
this number is even lower.

Tax Returns Rise for Immigrants in U.S. Illegally - New York Times

What good is issuing them a tax id if they aren't going to file a return. That is also a punishable offense.

Old 06-23-2011, 05:00 PM

22 posts, read 8,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD_Harley View Post
2.5 million out of 12-20 million is not 75%. Not even close.

Many illegal immigrants pay up at tax time - USATODAY.com
this number is even lower.

Tax Returns Rise for Immigrants in U.S. Illegally - New York Times

What good is issuing them a tax id if they aren't going to file a return. That is also a punishable offense.
I'm not sure if you even read the articles you linked. And where did you get the 2.5 million number? That's just the number of returns filed with ITINs. If you know better than the SSA then please show your math.

Quote:
The Social Security Administration estimates that about three-quarters of illegal workers pay taxes that contribute to the overall solvency of Social Security and Medicare.

Old 06-23-2011, 05:44 PM

951 posts, read 617,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
In otherwords Americans should take a lower wage and lower their lifestyles to compete with those who don't even have a right to work in this country? Yeah, that makes sense! Whose country is this anyway?
I don't see no Americans. I see trespassers, Irish harps. Do a job for a nickel what a ****** does for a dime and a white man used to get a quarter for. What have they done? Name one thing they've contributed.

Last edited by huddledmasses; 06-23-2011 at 05:44 PM.. Reason: Thx Fly

Old 06-23-2011, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sackaroni View Post
I'm not sure if you even read the articles you linked. And where did you get the 2.5 million number? That's just the number of returns filed with ITINs. If you know better than the SSA then please show your math.
You need to reread. That number is straight from the link provided.

I'm talking about ITINs you are including stolen SS numbers you do realize that don't you? We can talk identity theft if you like.

Old 06-23-2011, 06:05 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,168,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvn View Post
This.

I work in software. The barriers to competition are extremely low. People don't even have to move to the US to "take my job". They just have to do it better than me. So I work pretty hard at constantly improving my skills, which directly benefits not only myself but my customers, too.

Should we believe that insulating people from competition, so that they get complacent with stagnant skill sets is somehow supposed to benefit the larger economy?
It doesn't matter how hard you work to improve your skills. If an employer is hell bent on increasing his profits and unless you are willing to take a big cut in pay to accomodate him, you will be out the door.

Old 06-23-2011, 06:13 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,168,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huddledmasses View Post
I don't see no Americans. I see trespassers, Irish harps. Do a job for a nickel what a ****** does for a dime and a white man used to get a quarter for. What have they done? Name one thing they've contributed.

Thanks for showing your hatred for white Americans. Not that is comes as a surprise.

Old 06-23-2011, 06:15 PM

46 posts, read 19,072 times
Quote:
It doesn't matter how hard you work to improve your skills. If an employer is hell bent on increasing his profits and unless you are willing to take a big cut in pay to accomodate him, you will be out the door.
So why don't hospitals pay doctors $8.00 an hour?

Old 06-23-2011, 06:18 PM

1,569 posts, read 1,007,032 times
Quote:
Which is obviously his right.

But if that employer lowers wages, you can look elsewhere for employment. As is being implied, there is a reason no one can cut the wages of lawyers and doctors down to minimum wage. Other firms/companies/whatever will offer more than that, BECAUSE THE LABOR IS WORTH MORE THAN THAT.

Old 06-23-2011, 06:19 PM

46 posts, read 19,072 times
Quote:
Thanks for showing your hatred for white Americans. Not that is comes as a surprise.
it's a quote from a movie about another group of immigrants who were were also slandered about accepting less pay, flooding the lands, and taking away jobs from English Speaking Americans but who now we don't hear much about any more and even have a drinking holiday related to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration