Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 01:37 PM

2,852 posts, read 6,482,037 times

Advertisements

I can remember a time when all of the Hispanics I knew spoke fluent English and they never demanded that we start to learn Spanish in order to communicate with them. They attended our schools and learned in English. They worked for local businesses and spoke only in English. They didn't disrespect or desecrate the flag and they were just as proud as we were to hear the National Anthem being played. These LEGAL Hispanics did not create the problems we are facing, although some are now jumping on the La Raza bandwagon.

This expectation of Americans needing to become bilingual in order to get an education of a job is a direct result of too many non-English speaking illegals flooding over the border.

But what has really angered me today is this....

I went to a job interview to work with developmentally disabled children and teenagers. I walked through the door was confronted with ONLY Hispanic employees working there. As I sat there reading through the job description while the employees conversed in SPANISH, I came to the section which stated that employees MUST be fluent in reading, writing and speaking ENGLISH! But it gets worse! All of the children living in this facility were white, except for two Hispanics. While I sat there trying to go through the application the employees started teaching these children to speak SPANISH! One little boy, no more than 9 years old, was fighting against it. The employee would say..."Uno, Dos" and this little boy would say back instead..."One, Two." This female employee YELLED at him and told him that he MUST learn it and repeated to him..."I want you to say uno and dos." The little guy broke down in tears! At this point I got up, returned the application and told them I was declining to apply and I walked out. Now I can see why this company was cited for Client Rights violations four times since 2005 and has been cited for abuse twice.

So, now it is okay to impose the Spanish language on developmentally disabled children, who already have enough of a struggle in life? I will be reporting this to the city and the county. I am very angry over this.

Old 06-22-2011, 01:46 PM

2,788 posts, read 5,090,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanna View Post
I can remember a time when all of the Hispanics I knew spoke fluent English and they never demanded that we start to learn Spanish in order to communicate with them. They attended our schools and learned in English. They worked for local businesses and spoke only in English. They didn't disrespect or desecrate the flag and they were just as proud as we were to hear the National Anthem being played. These LEGAL Hispanics did not create the problems we are facing, although some are now jumping on the La Raza bandwagon.

This expectation of Americans needing to become bilingual in order to get an education of a job is a direct result of too many non-English speaking illegals flooding over the border.

I went to a job interview to work with developmentally disabled children and teenagers. I walked through the door was confronted with ONLY Hispanic employees working there. As I sat there reading through the job description while the employees conversed in SPANISH, I came to the section which stated that employees MUST be fluent in reading, writing and speaking ENGLISH! But it gets worse! All of the children living in this facility were white, except for two Hispanics. While I sat there trying to go through the application the employees started teaching these children to speak SPANISH! One little boy, no more than 9 years old, was fighting against it. The employee would say..."Uno, Dos" and this little boy would say back instead..."One, Two." This female employee YELLED at him and told him that he MUST learn it and repeated to him..."I want you to say uno and dos." The little guy broke down in tears! At this point I got up, returned the application and told them I was declining to apply and I walked out. Now I can see why this company was cited for Client Rights violations four times since 2005 and has been cited for abuse twice.

So, now it is okay to impose the Spanish language on developmentally disabled children, who already have enough of a struggle in life? I will be reporting this to the city and the county. I am very angry over this.

I think spanish is a beautiful language..I dont speak it tho..But to them
I think if they are in our country at least learn english, as I would have to do if I went to your country. Learning another language should be fun and forced upon..Our parents didnt teach us spanish..My grandmother always tried to learn english...
Just because you white doesnt mean you shouldnt speak or know spanish I know lots of white people who know spanish..
Learning would be good, but not forced to learn it..

Old 06-22-2011, 02:18 PM

2,852 posts, read 6,482,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepgirl27 View Post
I think if they are in our country at least learn english, as I would have to do if I went to your country. Learning another language should be fun and forced upon..Our parents didnt teach us spanish..My grandmother always tried to learn english...
Just because you white doesnt mean you shouldnt speak or know spanish I know lots of white people who know spanish..
I agree, it is a beautiful language, as is French, Italian, and to some people, Russian. But none of these are OUR official language. However, it is being forced upon us against our will, and this is wrong! Maybe millions of us should cross the border and demand that they change THEIR language in order to accommodate us, even though we weren't invited to immigrate there. Sound fair to you?

Old 06-22-2011, 02:20 PM

5,299 posts, read 4,845,544 times
Quote:
I think Spanish is a beautiful language...
And with better structural rules than English (all words sound exactly like they are spelled, so there are also no confusing homonyms). Vowel sounds are consistent. It might be something easier to learn (language use while young is the best time to be taught) that can help.

Old 06-22-2011, 02:20 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,312,858 times
Quote:
That however IS the problem. Hispanics are not assimilating to our language (especially the illegal kind) like immigrants did in the past.

In a way we are being forced to learn Spanish with our government and so many businesses catering to them in their language. Many jobs require that an applicant know Spanish to gain employment there including many good government jobs.

If one wants to learn a foreign language whether it be Spanish or some other one that is their choice but no way should Americans be forced to learn Spanish to accomodate non-assimilating Hispanics who want to be pandered to in their language.

Old 06-22-2011, 02:22 PM

1,569 posts, read 1,210,545 times
Quote:
But none of these are OUR official language.
Mostly because we don't have an official language.

Old 06-22-2011, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
And with better structural rules than English (all words sound exactly like they are spelled, so there are also no confusing homonyms). Vowel sounds are consistent. It might be something easier to learn (language use while young is the best time to be taught) that can help.
IMO, if you don't use it, you lose it. There is no reason for Americans to have to learn to speak another language and certainly not to accomdate non-assimilating Hispanics and their illegal counterparts.

Old 06-22-2011, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmadinejad View Post
Mostly because we don't have an official language.
English however, is our defacto national language, not Spanish.

Old 06-22-2011, 03:53 PM

192 posts, read 115,480 times
Quote:

MY GOD MAN. I even hear they are teaching Spanish in HIGH SCHOOLS all across the country! Some middle schools, and even elementary schools! They're corrupting our children at their most vulnerable with anti-American languages. I can't even send my kid to a private school that doesn't teach languages other than English. Don't these schools know that they are in AMERICA? Some of these schools even require learning another language in order to graduate. We're not Switzerland. Knowing only one language is a point of pride here in the land of red, white and blue.

Old 06-22-2011, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWookie47 View Post
MY GOD MAN. I even hear they are teaching Spanish in HIGH SCHOOLS all across the country! Some middle schools, and even elementary schools! They're corrupting our children at their most vulnerable with anti-American languages. I can't even send my kid to a private school that doesn't teach languages other than English. Don't these schools know that they are in AMERICA? Some of these schools even require learning another language in order to graduate. We're not Switzerland. Knowing only one language is a point of pride here in the land of red, white and blue.

What other langauges are our schools "requiring" our students to learn other than Spanish? You can't compare other countries that have been multi-lingual for some time to our country that is mostly mono-lingual with most being native English speakers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.