U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-27-2011, 08:23 AM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,192,202 times
Reputation: 2130

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayarcy View Post
True, but if you have a population that is composed of 20% Hispanic, and 10% other illegal aliens, naturally you would expect the remaining 70% to have more welfare recipients, while Hispanics are still the most numerous illegal aliens.

You can't compare only illegal Hispanic aliens to the rest of the population, to try to prove fewer Hispanics receive welfare than others. Percentage wise, they use an inordinate amount of social programs, including welfare.
Excellent!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-27-2011, 08:30 AM
 
1,150 posts, read 994,282 times
Reputation: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
Are we talking schoolkids here, or university students? I don't know of any course, outside teaching another language, that isn't in English, at any publicly-assessable school level. At the grade school age, the desire is to mainstream a child as quickly as possible.

Don't confuse our younger kids with college students taking a course...
No confusion here: A father in Oakland couldn't figure out why his son, who did well in the first grade, was doing so poorly in the second grade. He went to the school only to find out that half the day the class was taught in Mandarin, and the other half in English. The poor kid couldn't understand what was said in half the class. The main reason for having classes taught in a foreign language is illegal immigration.

The fact that the parents doesn't speak English is no excuse either. There are good teaching programs on TV. My 3 yo grandson was watching a program on a visit here, which was teaching the alphabet. Instead of watching a novella on Telemundo, it might be wise for these illegal alien parents to turn on one of the teaching programs for their children before they start school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2011, 08:54 AM
 
951 posts, read 618,848 times
Reputation: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayarcy View Post
No confusion here: A father in Oakland couldn't figure out why his son, who did well in the first grade, was doing so poorly in the second grade. He went to the school only to find out that half the day the class was taught in Mandarin, and the other half in English. The poor kid couldn't understand what was said in half the class. The main reason for having classes taught in a foreign language is illegal immigration.

The fact that the parents doesn't speak English is no excuse either. There are good teaching programs on TV. My 3 yo grandson was watching a program on a visit here, which was teaching the alphabet. Instead of watching a novella on Telemundo, it might be wise for these illegal alien parents to turn on one of the teaching programs for their children before they start school.
There is an influx of illegal Chinese aliens?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2011, 09:41 AM
 
Location: Arizona
93 posts, read 60,918 times
Reputation: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Exactly. Ask the Indians how well the lack of immigration laws and borders enforcement worked out for them.
Non sequitur. Such "laws" are an European construct. Natives had boundries that had different meanings.

Quote:
But like slavery, you can't justify the past by repeating it's mistakes today. Because a few hundred years ago, people brought slaves and slavery was legal doesn't justify anything.

And because the Indians lost their lands, just like the Indians of Mexico lost their lands to the Spaniards doesn't justify destroying the American people and our country. And because people won't work to improve or better their own country also doesn't mean we must hand ours to them on a silver platter.
It also dosen't mean we should support laws that allow corporate subjugation of labor on either side of the border by American corporations.

If we write reasonable laws and enforce them, most will comply. Including those that hire illegal labor. Comprehensive immigration laws properly enforced will in itself limit the numbers coming here.

Allow those that wish to work access to and from their country as long as they follow those laws, while accepting others as long as they comply for a number of years, to become citizens. Right now these conditions do not exist so we have this broken system that does nothing but make criminals of those only wishing to improve their lives. Law breakers are a small minority.

Also, the violence along the border, isn't it time something is done about our antiquated drug laws?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2011, 09:45 AM
 
106 posts, read 216,797 times
Reputation: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post
And I'll disagree with you respectfully. In a dream world, YES, I would take them back to Mexico, a place they never wanted to leave in the first place. (REALITY: Many were forced to). However, that is not going to happen. Not because I say so...don't get mad at me...but because they will do what they know how to do best. They will weigh things here, wait and even if no amnesty, they will not leave. Even if you take some or ALL welfare, they will stay as studies have shown.

We will integrate their children like it or not...they are citizens. Even if their parents were deported in mass...their children will return...in masses. They will be speaking their native tongue and I'm guessing they will take time before they relearn English. Along with them, they will bring their spouse, children and possibly parents that were once deported. And how many do you think we will actually deport? 2 or 3 million? What about the other millions that the government will not be able to reach? Think about that. We could have another wave of US citizens and their immigrant families. As I said, an amnesty is unavoidable. Either way, they will be here.
Tell that to the 1/2 million a year getting tossed out. They are all fair game!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2011, 10:00 AM
 
Location: California
2,477 posts, read 1,719,788 times
Reputation: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFPeak View Post
Non sequitur. Such "laws" are an European construct. Natives had boundries that had different meanings.
Like..."Enter and DIE", or "have your women and children taken to become our slaves."
Quote:
we have this broken system that does nothing but make criminals of those only wishing to improve their lives.
So economic refugees are good?
Quote:
isn't it time something is done about our antiquated drug laws?
Most "good pot" is grown here in the states, in our forests, its mostly the hard drugs that are crossing the border with some mexican brown (dirt weed) on occasion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2011, 10:03 AM
 
13 posts, read 5,208 times
Reputation: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid Reigns View Post
Most "good pot" is grown here in the states, in our forests, its mostly the hard drugs that are crossing the border with some mexican brown (dirt weed) on occasion.
Another good reason to legalize pot. Support American jobs!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2011, 10:06 AM
 
951 posts, read 618,848 times
Reputation: 89
I agree. Hard drugs are the issue now, not weed. The manufacturing of meth has shifted out of the country into Mexico I believe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2011, 10:20 AM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,192,202 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFPeak View Post
Non sequitur. Such "laws" are an European construct. Natives had boundries that had different meanings.



It also dosen't mean we should support laws that allow corporate subjugation of labor on either side of the border by American corporations.

If we write reasonable laws and enforce them, most will comply. Including those that hire illegal labor. Comprehensive immigration laws properly enforced will in itself limit the numbers coming here.

Allow those that wish to work access to and from their country as long as they follow those laws, while accepting others as long as they comply for a number of years, to become citizens. Right now these conditions do not exist so we have this broken system that does nothing but make criminals of those only wishing to improve their lives. Law breakers are a small minority.

Also, the violence along the border, isn't it time something is done about our antiquated drug laws?
Our immigration laws, policies and quotas are already reasonable. It is just that there are more immigrants wanting to come here than we can provide jobs and resources for. And there is that little thing called uncontrolled population growth. Our laws on the books aren't being enforced now what makes you think if we "re-write" them (whatever that means) they will be enforced? Our government doesn't have a very good track record now.

No foreigner has the right to improve their lives in our country by coming here illegally and make American lives worse. I disagree that the lawbreakers are a small minority starting with their crossing our borders illegally in the first place, stealing I.D.'s to work (jobs they take against the law) driving without a license, no insurance, the list goes on and on and that doesn't even take into account serious felony crimes either.

The conditons you want to exist are a detriment to our own citizens for all the reasons stated above.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2011, 10:37 AM
 
951 posts, read 618,848 times
Reputation: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Our immigration laws, policies and quotas are already reasonable. It is just that there are more immigrants wanting to come here than we can provide jobs and resources for. And there is that little thing called uncontrolled population growth.
Wrong. From Liquid Reigns study:

Quote:
One is that notwithstanding all of the focus and controversy surrounding illegal immigration, the fate of the US economy is not riding on the country’s policy toward unauthorized workers. Allowing a few more or a few less unauthorized immigrants into the country would not have dire consequences.
Should I believe the stuff chicatgonut has been regurgitating out for the last 3 days or a study done by an economic research group?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top