Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 09:57 AM

2,852 posts, read 6,485,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmadinejad View Post
They should absolutely be able to speak whatever language they want, just like every other person in this country. My father speaks Farsi when he speaks with his Iranian friends. Is this something you have a problem with?
I have no problem with your father and his friends speaking Farsi, or anyone else speaking their native language. What I have a problem with is the insistence that we learn THEIR language so that they don't have to bother with learning or using English. I'm assuming you didn't learn in Farsi while in grade school if you attended an American school?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2011, 09:57 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,562,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post
I truly believe that despite any effort to rid our country of illegal immigrants, sooner or later, we will see amnesty for those remaining. I hope by then our borders are secure. That is where our efforts should be focused.
No, our efforts should be focused on enforcing our extant laws, not on “integrating” foreign interlopers into our society. Where does it end? How many mass amnesties will suffice? Or, should we continue to grant amnesty until the entire underclass of Mexico is here? I’m sorry, enough is enough.

Old 06-24-2011, 09:58 AM

2,852 posts, read 6,485,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
Are we talking schoolkids here, or university students? I don't know of any course, outside teaching another language, that isn't in English, at any publicly-assessable school level. At the grade school age, the desire is to mainstream a child as quickly as possible.

Don't confuse our younger kids with college students taking a course...
School kids. Quite a few schools in California and the southwest teach classes in both languages.

Old 06-24-2011, 10:01 AM

1,569 posts, read 1,210,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanna View Post
I have no problem with your father and his friends speaking Farsi, or anyone else speaking their native language. What I have a problem with is the insistence that we learn THEIR language so that they don't have to bother with learning or using English. I'm assuming you didn't learn in Farsi while in grade school if you attended an American school?
There is no "insistence," though, you are just unnerved by the presence of a large group that is speaking another language. Which is perfectly fine as long as you don't feel that you have a right to be outraged by it.

Spanish is taught by schools because A. almost everyone agrees that second languages are useful for students and B. Spanish is extremely common, fairly easy to learn, and useful for students.

Students being "forced" to learn history or math or biology is no greater offense. You might prefer your kids to learn French (which they can take at a huge number of schools, of course). I would have preferred to learn Farsi so I could speak to more people at family reunions. But I know it's impractical for them to pay for languages that very few people in this country know.

Old 06-24-2011, 10:05 AM

192 posts, read 115,527 times
Quote:
You don't have to learn Spanish.

However, some companies will offer service in Spanish voluntarily if they think it will be good for business. What's the issue?

Old 06-24-2011, 10:08 AM

5,299 posts, read 4,847,096 times
Quote:
School kids. Quite a few schools in California and the southwest teach classes in both languages.
Source that data please, with public schools that teach primarily in Spanish for the majority of their classwork...

Otherwise "both languages" in the same school sounds like moving students from Spanish to English...

Old 06-24-2011, 10:16 AM

5,299 posts, read 4,847,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
No, our efforts should be focused on enforcing our extant laws, not on “integrating” foreign interlopers into our society...
Current "laws" allow for over a million foreigners to be admitted to the United States each year...

If you mean "illegal aliens", say "illegal aliens"...

Old 06-24-2011, 10:23 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,562,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmadinejad View Post
There is no "insistence," though, you are just unnerved by the presence of a large group that is speaking another language. Which is perfectly fine as long as you don't feel that you have a right to be outraged by it.

Spanish is taught by schools because A. almost everyone agrees that second languages are useful for students and B. Spanish is extremely common, fairly easy to learn, and useful for students.

Students being "forced" to learn history or math or biology is no greater offense. You might prefer your kids to learn French (which they can take at a huge number of schools, of course). I would have preferred to learn Farsi so I could speak to more people at family reunions. But I know it's impractical for them to pay for languages that very few people in this country know.
The “outrage” is due to their DEMAND that we accommodate them in THEIR language, rather than learning ours. I would never be so arrogant as to relocate to a non-English-speaking country and not learn the language. I have no problem with people speaking Spanish, as long as they aren't being rude. In fact, if not for the Spanish language, I would not have met my ex-husband, and would not have my wonderful son. Our initial encounter was the result of him paying me a compliment in Spanish, without realizing I understood what he said. I then responded, and as the saying goes. . . the rest is history.

I am so sick of the entitlement mentality. Sadly, I am beginning to dislike the language, and refuse to speak it. I used to love to hear Spanish.

Old 06-24-2011, 10:24 AM

192 posts, read 115,527 times
Who's demanding what? How are those demands being made?

Old 06-24-2011, 10:25 AM

1,569 posts, read 1,210,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
The “outrage” is due to their DEMAND that we accommodate them in THEIR language, rather than learning ours. I would never be so arrogant as to relocate to a non-English-speaking country and not learn the language. I have no problem with people speaking Spanish, as long as they aren't being rude. In fact, if not for the Spanish language, I would not have met my ex-husband, and would not have my wonderful son. Our initial encounter was the result of him paying me a compliment in Spanish, without realizing I understood what he said. I then responded, and as the saying goes. . . the rest is history.

I am so sick of the entitlement mentality. Sadly, I am beginning to dislike the language, and refuse to speak it. I used to love to hear Spanish.
We were talking about younger people who ARE fluent, so they HAVE in fact learned the language.

You say that they DEMAND that you "accommodate" them in their language.

Define both "demand" and "accommodate" in those contexts?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration