U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-24-2011, 11:29 AM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,192,202 times
Reputation: 2130

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
Source that data please, with public schools that teach primarily in Spanish for the majority of their classwork...

Otherwise "both languages" in the same school sounds like moving students from Spanish to English...
Or some of these schools are requiring that our English speaking students learn Spanish. "Moving students from English to Spanish".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-24-2011, 11:30 AM
 
1,569 posts, read 1,009,034 times
Reputation: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Or some of these schools are requiring that our English speaking students learn Spanish.
And math. And history. And science.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-24-2011, 11:30 AM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,864,905 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
Current "laws" allow for over a million foreigners to be admitted to the United States each year...

If you mean "illegal aliens", say "illegal aliens"...
For the umpteenth time, this is the ILLEGAL Immigration forum, and we are discussing illegal aliens. Furthermore, do you actually not understand the difference between a legal immigrant and a foreign interloper? Try reading my posts, rather than focusing on disagreeing with me. Youíre making yourself appear dimwitted, and I am sure that is not your intention.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-24-2011, 11:32 AM
 
1,569 posts, read 1,009,034 times
Reputation: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
For the umpteenth time, this is the ILLEGAL Immigration forum, and we are discussing illegal aliens. Furthermore, do you actually not understand the difference between a legal immigrant and a foreign interloper? Try reading my posts, rather than focusing on disagreeing with me. Youíre making yourself appear dimwitted, and I am sure that is not your intention.
Seriously? When you say "foreign interloper," the term obviously could apply just as well to non-illegals. That's his whole point. He doesn't appear dimwitted, he appears like he actually cares about the literal meaning of words.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-24-2011, 11:43 AM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,864,905 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmadinejad View Post
We were talking about younger people who ARE fluent, so they HAVE in fact learned the language.

You say that they DEMAND that you "accommodate" them in their language.

Define both "demand" and "accommodate" in those contexts?
I am referring to the prevailing mindset of Hispanic illegal aliens. And, yes, they not only "demand" to be "accommodated" in Spanish, they "demand" we legalize their status. If you arenít aware of their numerous protest marches, and their indignant behavior when a citizen dares to not understand them, you are obviously new to the issue of illegal immigration.

For future reference, my comments refer to illegal aliens exclusively, unless I specifically mention legal immigration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-24-2011, 11:48 AM
 
1,569 posts, read 1,009,034 times
Reputation: 111
Again, all I was asking for was a definition of both "demand" and "accommodate." So far the only reason your side has provided for saying they "demand" we learn Spanish is that it's required at schools. Could you clarify precisely what you're referring to? Was there a protest march dedicated to demanding that Americans all learn Spanish or something?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-24-2011, 11:52 AM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,864,905 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmadinejad View Post
Seriously? When you say "foreign interloper," the term obviously could apply just as well to non-illegals. That's his whole point. He doesn't appear dimwitted, he appears like he actually cares about the literal meaning of words.
A legal immigrant is NOT an interloper. A legal immigrant is here with the permission of our government.

in∑ter∑lop∑er (ntr-lpr)
n.

One that intrudes in a place, situation, or activity

interloper - definition of interloper by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

interloper
n.

meddler, trespasser, encroacher, alien; see intruder.

interloper - synonyms for interloper
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-24-2011, 11:52 AM
 
192 posts, read 91,849 times
Reputation: 37
Well, maybe she means "demand" as in "supply and demand." People who speak Spanish may prefer to patronize business that offer Spanish-language services. Thus, business who want to "supply" this "demand" may "demand" people who speak Spanish from the "supply" of potential employees. If they don't want to, though, they don't have to. Hell, I think it'd be neat to go to a German restaurant and have the whole waitstaff fluent in German so I could practice. Thus, there is a "demand" for Americans to learn German so that they can make such a place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-24-2011, 11:54 AM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,864,905 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmadinejad View Post
Again, all I was asking for was a definition of both "demand" and "accommodate." So far the only reason your side has provided for saying they "demand" we learn Spanish is that it's required at schools. Could you clarify precisely what you're referring to? Was there a protest march dedicated to demanding that Americans all learn Spanish or something?
I have already explained my position. If you want a "definition" of demand and accommodate, I suggest you Google.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-24-2011, 11:54 AM
 
1,569 posts, read 1,009,034 times
Reputation: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
A legal immigrant is NOT an interloper. A legal immigrant is here with the permission of our government.

in∑ter∑lop∑er (ntr-lpr)
n.

One that intrudes in a place, situation, or activity

interloper - definition of interloper by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

interloper
n.

meddler, trespasser, encroacher, alien; see intruder.

interloper - synonyms for interloper
Only one of those given definitions cannot be used to literally describe legal immigrants, and that's trespasser. Now, if you wanted to get less literal, trespasser works for them too. Of course, if you want to get MORE literal, illegal immigrants aren't trespassing in the legal sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top