U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 06-24-2011, 03:09 PM
 
192 posts, read 91,811 times
Reputation: 37

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
When they are "demanding/requiring" it to pander to illegal aliens I take offense at it. Most Hispanic-Americans know how to speak English. By the way, I went to a Sears store this morning and all the ads over the intercom were in Spanish. Not one add in English! Then you wonder why we are p*ssed?
How do you know they're not pandering to Spanish-speaking citizens? Yeah, many Hispanic citizens can speak English. But maybe they'd prefer not to in some contexts. These businesses think it's profitable to offer this service.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-24-2011, 03:10 PM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,857,919 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elián González View Post
Link?

Surely you can find one, especially one that lost as the defendant.

Not to mention, we know that if you find just one, your opinion will then support that it is rampant nationwide. But even so, you should still be able to provide one.

eg
Yes, hospitals have been sued for failing to provide interpreters. In fact, the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) requires sign language interpreters for the hearing impaired. If you are interested in reading related court cases, be my guest, Google.

By the way, for a newbie, you certainly assume quite a bit. You don’t know me, so how can you presume to know what I will or will not do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-24-2011, 03:17 PM
 
118 posts, read 80,418 times
Reputation: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Yes, hospitals have been sued for failing to provide interpreters. In fact, the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) requires sign language interpreters for the hearing impaired. If you are interested in reading related court cases, be my guest, Google.
We only asked for one case involving someone suing for not getting an interpreter because they spoke a foreign language. If they're so plentiful, just post one. We're not even asking for it to be an illegal doing the suing, but I'm sure you can easily provide a case with that factor, too.


Quote:
By the way, for a newbie, you certainly assume quite a bit. You don’t know me, so how can you presume to know what I will or will not do
Pattern established behavior via posts/responses can make for predictable outcomes. One of the detriments of having a high post count.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-24-2011, 03:24 PM
 
Location: Jacurutu
5,302 posts, read 4,029,168 times
Reputation: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Why do you never step in and say anything when someone refers to illegal aliens as just plain "immigrants" then? Is there a double standard in the working here?
No, because an illegal alien is always an immigrant, this sub-forum is titled "Illegal Immigration"...

I was initially objecting to a comment made about "Mexican Nationals". Let's use the example of: "Mexican Nationals are a burden to [U.S. citizens]". A Mexican living in Mexico probably is not a burden to U.S. citizens.

When that forum member (not you) goes an additional step of saying we don't need "Hispanic dropouts", it shows a focus away from just illegal aliens. In fact I saw the entire comment as a dig against Hispanics, without having any link to an identifiable illegal immigration topic. I would hope that you want to remove any bigots from the discussion.

Use the appropriate term. If you drift off the definition, especially in what seems to be a willful or spiteful manner, I am going to object. Certainly you know better, whether you want to change the behavior or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-24-2011, 04:11 PM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,857,919 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elián González View Post
We only asked for one case involving someone suing for not getting an interpreter because they spoke a foreign language. If they're so plentiful, just post one. We're not even asking for it to be an illegal doing the suing, but I'm sure you can easily provide a case with that factor, too.


Pattern established behavior via posts/responses can make for predictable outcomes. One of the detriments of having a high post count.
If I tell you to Google, consider it an indication that I have already researched the subject. Now, if you want more, you’ll have to find it yourself. Bear in mind, many cases are settled out of court.

Oh, so you have perused my posts. How special. But, I have a feeling you have been here before. Of course, it’s just a feeling.

Quote:
BEVERLY — Beverly Hospital has agreed to a series of conditions to settle allegations that it failed to provide interpreters for deaf people, the U.S. Attorney's Office said.
Hospital settles complaint over lack of interpreters » Local News » SalemNews.com, Salem, MA

Quote:
HHS regulations require physicians to create a plan for accommodating non-English speaking patients using four factors: number of patients with limited English skills, frequency of visits, importance of service provided, and available resources and costs. Federal guidelines also spell out a variety of tools physicians can use to communicate with deaf or non-English speaking patients, from written notes or documents to video, telephonic or computer-based translator services to bilingual staff
.
amednews: Making sure your patients know what you're saying :: April 20, 2009 ... American Medical News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-24-2011, 04:16 PM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,189,169 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWookie47 View Post
How do you know they're not pandering to Spanish-speaking citizens? Yeah, many Hispanic citizens can speak English. But maybe they'd prefer not to in some contexts. These businesses think it's profitable to offer this service.
Then why not run the ads in English also???????????? English speakers offer no profit by advertising in their language? English would cover both groups unless you are an illegal alien.

Last edited by chicagonut; 06-24-2011 at 04:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-24-2011, 04:24 PM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,189,169 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
No, because an illegal alien is always an immigrant, this sub-forum is titled "Illegal Immigration"...

I was initially objecting to a comment made about "Mexican Nationals". Let's use the example of: "Mexican Nationals are a burden to [U.S. citizens]". A Mexican living in Mexico probably is not a burden to U.S. citizens.

When that forum member (not you) goes an additional step of saying we don't need "Hispanic dropouts", it shows a focus away from just illegal aliens. In fact I saw the entire comment as a dig against Hispanics, without having any link to an identifiable illegal immigration topic. I would hope that you want to remove any bigots from the discussion.

Use the appropriate term. If you drift off the definition, especially in what seems to be a willful or spiteful manner, I am going to object. Certainly you know better, whether you want to change the behavior or not.
It is blantantly dishonest not to decipher between an legal immigrant and an illegal alien and you know it. They are entirely two different groups and you of all people should recognize that. The correct adjective shoud be used in front of "immigrant" to say the least. This coming from someone who doesn't like his family being confused with illegal aliens? Don't make me laugh. Hypocricy, much?

The stats on high school drop outs only use the word "Hispanics". They don't decipher between legal and illegal. Would you like that to be misquoted?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-24-2011, 04:24 PM
 
118 posts, read 80,418 times
Reputation: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
If I tell you to Google, consider it an indication that I have already researched the subject. Now, if you want more, you’ll have to find it yourself. Bear in mind, many cases are settled out of court.

Oh, so you have perused my posts. How special. But, I have a feeling you have been here before. Of course, it’s just a feeling.


Hospital settles complaint over lack of interpreters » Local News » SalemNews.com, Salem, MA

.
Cool, you found one. Sorry, I don't do others research for them when they make a claim. Btw...that case is about deaf people and not immigrants speaking a different language. Any links that can corroborate the claim of non-English speakers demanding/picketing/suing medical offices for lack of interpreters? Of the 2 links this is the only indication of an immigrant:

Quote:
Youdelman pointed to a 1984 Florida case in which a Spanish-speaking patient won a $71 million settlement after a hospital and its emergency staff misinterpreted the man's condition -- intoxicado, or nauseous -- as a drug overdose. The patient sued over the alleged misdiagnosis after it turned out he had a brain clot and ultimately became a quadriplegic.
Not that this case really has anything to do with someone demanding an interpreter. But, this was from a Spanish speaker that DIDN'T demand an interpreter.

oh, and that feeling you have? eh, you may want to see a doc about that(preferably English speaking) if that 'feeling' persists. Hopefully it's just gas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-24-2011, 04:32 PM
 
Location: Jacurutu
5,302 posts, read 4,029,168 times
Reputation: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
...The stats on high school drop outs only use the word "Hispanics". They don't decipher between legal and illegal. Would you like that to be misquoted?
It was said that we didn't "need" (as they should leave the United States) Hispanic dropouts. No comment was made about other ethnicities of dropouts. Not an illegal immigration issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-24-2011, 04:36 PM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,857,919 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elián González View Post
Cool, you found one. Sorry, I don't do others research for them when they make a claim. Btw...that case is about deaf people and not immigrants speaking a different language. Any links that can corroborate the claim of non-English speakers demanding/picketing/suing medical offices for lack of interpreters? Of the 2 links this is the only indication of an immigrant:



Not that this case really has anything to do with someone demanding an interpreter. But, this was from a Spanish speaker that DIDN'T demand an interpreter.

oh, and that feeling you have? eh, you may want to see a doc about that(preferably English speaking) if that 'feeling' persists. Hopefully it's just gas.

An interpreter is an interpreter. Clearly, you have no interest in this subject. Have fun playing. Later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top