U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 06-25-2011, 09:54 PM
 
Location: Pa
20,310 posts, read 18,923,670 times
Reputation: 6517

Advertisements

Not sure what the big deal is.
My wife is thai. We often speak Thai when in public places if we want to keep it private.
If spanish speakers want to use the language they are comfortable with whats the harm?
If a business that caters to a certain group requires employees to be bi-lingual thats smart business practices. If you really want to work their learn the second language.

 
Old 06-25-2011, 09:59 PM
 
192 posts, read 91,631 times
Reputation: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Not sure what the big deal is.
My wife is thai. We often speak Thai when in public places if we want to keep it private.
If spanish speakers want to use the language they are comfortable with whats the harm?
If a business that caters to a certain group requires employees to be bi-lingual thats smart business practices. If you really want to work their learn the second language.
We've disagreed plenty in this forum, and I've called you out for being wrong. Everything in this post I agree with 100%.

Last edited by MrWookie47; 06-25-2011 at 10:00 PM.. Reason: Other than their/there, but I'm a grammar nit.
 
Old 06-25-2011, 10:16 PM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,172,244 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by huddledmasses View Post
dude, chicago backed off official it's now de facto.
Lying again about what I said? I never once said that English was our "official" language. I used the terms national language (which even congress has stated it is) and de facto. Find one post of mine where I said English was our "official" language. You won't though. Pro-illegals are such liars and spinners of truth.
 
Old 06-25-2011, 10:19 PM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,172,244 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAnumber1 View Post
I still don't understand why you even care about this guy.

You only care about THE LAW... this guy hasn't broken any. he's here legally and english is not the official language of the US.

You don't care about how people talk... but this guy has you wound up.
Again, why are you attributing these sentiments to only me when others have stated as such also. Looking for a whipping post to take your frustrations out on and you elected me? Pathetic!
 
Old 06-26-2011, 12:15 AM
 
15 posts, read 8,266 times
Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Again, why are you attributing these sentiments to only me when others have stated as such also. Looking for a whipping post to take your frustrations out on and you elected me? Pathetic!
I mean there shouldn't be much "outrage" at this. Texas sits next to Mexico, regardless of what anyone thinks all Americans should speak it is inevitable that someone at some time will testify on State premises in another language, most probably Spanish especially given the close historic and economic ties that the Texas has with Mexico. It's not that big of a deal really.
 
Old 06-26-2011, 12:32 AM
 
35 posts, read 18,628 times
Reputation: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Again, why are you attributing these sentiments to only me when others have stated as such also. Looking for a whipping post to take your frustrations out on and you elected me? Pathetic!
It's an open question to anyone who thinks it's a big deal, then.
 
Old 06-26-2011, 02:54 AM
 
118 posts, read 80,343 times
Reputation: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Not sure what the big deal is.
My wife is thai. We often speak Thai when in public places if we want to keep it private.
If spanish speakers want to use the language they are comfortable with whats the harm?
If a business that caters to a certain group requires employees to be bi-lingual thats smart business practices. If you really want to work their learn the second language.
+1
 
Old 06-26-2011, 06:26 PM
 
1,891 posts, read 2,185,408 times
Reputation: 909
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Not sure what the big deal is.
My wife is thai. We often speak Thai when in public places if we want to keep it private.
If spanish speakers want to use the language they are comfortable with whats the harm?
If a business that caters to a certain group requires employees to be bi-lingual thats smart business practices. If you really want to work their learn the second language.
If you're going to speak before a SENATE COMMITTEE IN THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, you damn well better speak before THE COMMITTEE in ENGLISH.

Now do you grasp that concept or are you still too ignorant?
 
Old 06-26-2011, 06:37 PM
 
1,569 posts, read 1,007,399 times
Reputation: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lariat View Post
If you're going to speak before a SENATE COMMITTEE IN THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, you damn well better speak before THE COMMITTEE in ENGLISH.

Now do you grasp that concept or are you still too ignorant?
....do you think that anything in this post explained the "concept" or, looking back, does it seem like you're just re-stating your conclusion with more caps?
 
Old 06-26-2011, 06:42 PM
 
1,891 posts, read 2,185,408 times
Reputation: 909
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmadinejad View Post
....do you think that anything in this post explained the "concept" or, looking back, does it seem like you're just re-stating your conclusion with more caps?
Oh...you don't have anything to retort? Gotcha. GOOD DAY, SIR.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top