U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 04:11 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,813,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmadinejad View Post
Sorry, haven't seen the stats on illegals being illiterate in Spanish. Link?

Quote:
He added that the high Mexican dropout rate is a serious concern, because more than 25 percent of all immigrants are from Mexico.

But Ricardo Sanchez, director of the Latino/a Educational Achievement Project in Washington state, said he wasn't surprised at the findings.

He said the illiteracy rate among Mexican immigrant students is high, particularly among youths who came from rural areas.

"I can't tell you the numbers of teachers that tell me we're getting kids in the seventh and eighth grade, and they can't read," he said. "These kids come illiterate in their native tongue."
Dropout rates highest among Mexican immigrants, study says - seattlepi.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2011, 04:16 PM

951 posts, read 616,596 times
I'm pretty sure he said Spanish, not English

Old 06-27-2011, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huddledmasses View Post
I'm pretty sure he said Spanish, not English
Well duh, that’s the point. They can’t even read or write in Spanish, so how on earth can they learn English? First, they have to be taught how to read and write in Spanish. . . . you know, their native language.

Old 06-27-2011, 04:36 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,149,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
Wow, English is a disgusting overly unsimplified language that I was forced to learn even though its spelling is wild and its writing is no longer as phonetic. the only thing i like about it over spanish is the words "it" and "the". Spanish actually helped me understand the ACTUAL language faster, being able to understand roots and sufixes of words that "natural born citizens" were far too stupid to understand.
I suggest I'm going to stay. and I suggest I am going to do it MY way.
furthermore, I'm afraid that to our future progeny, you and I will be dead as well. Which means my children are free to learn/use Spanish and to teach yours.
Why is it that you object to the natives supposedly being forced to learn English and yet you don't seem to have a problem with the natives being forced to learn Spanish? They are both European languages after all. That makes no sense to me.

Old 06-27-2011, 04:49 PM

13 posts, read 5,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Why is it that you object to the natives supposedly being forced to learn English and yet you don't seem to have a problem with the natives being forced to learn Spanish? They are both European languages after all. That makes no sense to me.
Who is forcing you to learn Spanish? Press one on the ATM. If you go into a store that won't speak english to you, then leave and go to another store. Speak to your family, friends, coworkers in whatever language you want. I am as mono-lingual as they come and I've never felt forced by anybody to learn another language.

Old 06-27-2011, 05:21 PM

403 posts, read 280,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
The majority of our illegal aliens are Mexican, not Korean or Chinese. Mexico has many excellent K-12 schools, as well as colleges and universities. Please explain why they cannot remain there to receive an education. Moreover, most illegal aliens do not graduate from high school even with the enormous opportunities available in this country. So, clearly, education is not a top priority.

Contrary to your belief, many illegal aliens do in fact file tax returns, as well as receive refunds.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD_Harley View Post
I'm guessing most illegals would fall into the lower levels. I'd also guess with a level of reassurance that Guatemala and other Countries would fare even worse.

http://www.rand.org/pubs/documented_..._DB480.sum.pdf

Educational attainment and achievement levels in Mexico are generally low, although they
have improved greatly in the past 10 years. In 2003, average educational attainment of the
population aged 15 and older was 7.9 years; in 1993 it was 6.8 years. During the 1990s,
Mexico has applied national examinations to its students to test for subject competency.
Results published in 2003 by the Instituto Nacional para la Evaluación Educativa (INEE)
revealed that 45 percent and 15 percent of sixth graders in urban primary schools achieved
satisfactory or above satisfactory competency in reading and math, respectively. Results
for sixth graders in rural and indigenous primary schools were even lower. Only 76 percent
and 50 percent of ninth graders in secondary schools achieved satisfactory or above
satisfactory competency in reading and math, respectively. Results were lower for students
in technical and distance lower secondary schools. Mexico has not fared very well in
recent international examinations
Benicar, these stats seem to refute the idea that the Mexican education system is adequately servicing the needs of it's citizens.

Old 06-27-2011, 05:23 PM

6,895 posts, read 4,296,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
I am unaware that I objected to the natives learning english. I thought I was pointing out the hypocrisy of the Colonizers for not learning Native Languages. Of course they are both European Languages. English as in England and Spanish as in Spain. what does that have to do with what I was talking about? there are many European languages and there are many Native American languages. the point is that language specifics are in the heart of the speaker. English isn't that great of a language, we should get and start using a better one, and just to let people know, it isn't Spanish either. I was thinking that we could continue to speak the way we speak but change the system of writing so that it is easier to read and write. anyway, the point of the O.P. was about meshing, and I pointed out that it takes two to tango.

Old 06-27-2011, 05:34 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,149,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
I am unaware that I objected to the natives learning english. I thought I was pointing out the hypocrisy of the Colonizers for not learning Native Languages. Of course they are both European Languages. English as in England and Spanish as in Spain. what does that have to do with what I was talking about? there are many European languages and there are many Native American languages. the point is that language specifics are in the heart of the speaker. English isn't that great of a language, we should get and start using a better one, and just to let people know, it isn't Spanish either. I was thinking that we could continue to speak the way we speak but change the system of writing so that it is easier to read and write. anyway, the point of the O.P. was about meshing, and I pointed out that it takes two to tango.
These are your own words:

"Which means my children are free to learn/use Spanish and to teach yours".

This implies to me that you accept Spanish but not English. Why, since they are both European langauges? What's this statement of your children will teach ours Spanish? Kind of an arrogant remark, isn't it? Why not the other way around? I have news for you, English was the adopted langauge of the USA. Spanish was the adopted langauge of Mexico and points south so please respect what we have adopted if you want to live here. I wouldn't dream of moving to Mexico and making such statements to them.

Old 06-27-2011, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viridian Ideals View Post
Benicar, these stats seem to refute the idea that the Mexican education system is adequately servicing the needs of it's citizens.
Neither is ours. In fact, we are steadily declining among the world’s academic ranking. In addition, illegals have a high dropout rate here, coupled with a high teen pregnancy rate. That’s not exactly a recipe for success. They have no problem availing themselves of other tax-funded benefits. So, why aren’t they taking advantage of the K-12 opportunities this country offers? They can’t be forced to value an education.

Old 06-27-2011, 06:14 PM

118 posts, read 80,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Neither is ours. In fact, we are steadily declining among the world’s academic ranking. In addition, illegals have a high dropout rate here, coupled with a high teen pregnancy rate. That’s not exactly a recipe for success. They have no problem availing themselves of other tax-funded benefits. So, why aren’t they taking advantage of the K-12 opportunities this country offers? They can’t be forced to value an education.
Because many K-12 opportunities, especially for Latinas, suck.

http://cat.inist.fr/?aModele=afficheN&cpsidt=14697898

Last edited by Elián González; 06-27-2011 at 06:31 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration