Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2011, 11:06 PM

36 posts, read 19,348 times

Advertisements

Study: Latino's Not Meshing Quickly

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2011, 09:32 AM

83 posts, read 169,392 times
I have to agree with the study, many of the people who come from Latin American countries, mainly Mexico, feel that we should speak Spanish here and cater to them. Just look at the school systems in the major cities in Texas, they have to offer a bilingual program to cater to those who don't speak English and as a result it takes some of these students longer to learn the language properly. What ever happened to full immersion?

At my church we have some students from Burma who go to a public school that only has an ESL program, but a majority of their day is spent in a regular classroom. These student have already learned how to speak and read English proficiently for their age. But they wouldn't have reached this point if the spent the whole day with others who only spoke their language

I apologize for my rant, it just makes me upset of how we cater to those from Spanish-speaking countries

Old 06-26-2011, 10:48 AM

1,421 posts, read 1,490,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelestinoZ View Post
I have to agree with the study, many of the people who come from Latin American countries, mainly Mexico, feel that we should speak Spanish here and cater to them. Just look at the school systems in the major cities in Texas, they have to offer a bilingual program to cater to those who don't speak English and as a result it takes some of these students longer to learn the language properly. What ever happened to full immersion?

At my church we have some students from Burma who go to a public school that only has an ESL program, but a majority of their day is spent in a regular classroom. These student have already learned how to speak and read English proficiently for their age. But they wouldn't have reached this point if the spent the whole day with others who only spoke their language

I apologize for my rant, it just makes me upset of how we cater to those from Spanish-speaking countries
Youre right.

Many Latinos who come here LEGALLY hate it like you said. And I dont speak Spanish which makes the reconquista people even madder.

Old 06-26-2011, 10:54 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
People coming from other countries where the language is other than Spanish have no choice but to learn English if they want to make their way in the US. Either English or Spanish since almost everything written these days are in those 2 languages.

Why would the Latinos need to integrate when everything they need is provided in Spanish ?

Old 06-26-2011, 01:18 PM

951 posts, read 745,375 times
You don't think they are assimilating?

Old 06-26-2011, 03:24 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,281,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huddledmasses View Post
You don't think they are assimilating?
They're not assimilating around here.

("They" being the illegals.)

Old 06-26-2011, 03:28 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,317,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
People coming from other countries where the language is other than Spanish have no choice but to learn English if they want to make their way in the US. Either English or Spanish since almost everything written these days are in those 2 languages.

Why would the Latinos need to integrate when everything they need is provided in Spanish ?
There lays the problem!

Last edited by chicagonut; 06-26-2011 at 03:44 PM..

Old 06-26-2011, 03:38 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
When it comes to illegals, I can't see having the government (ie taxpayers) have to spend billions of dollars trying to convince them to try to learn English or to assimilate because they should be returned home.

Illegals aren't coming for the low wages and have the largest number of children of all groups because they have a lot of money left over to take classes on their own dime. They need to keep their Spanish skills up for the day they return home.

Old 06-26-2011, 03:49 PM

951 posts, read 745,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
When it comes to illegals, I can't see having the government (ie taxpayers) have to spend billions of dollars trying to convince them to try to learn English or to assimilate because they should be returned home.
They are a net benefit on our economy. Not a burden.

Quote:
Illegals aren't coming for the low wages and have the largest number of children of all groups because they have a lot of money left over to take classes on their own dime. They need to keep their Spanish skills up for the day they return home.
Yeah you are right, it's like 3-5+ times the wages they make there.

Old 06-26-2011, 04:21 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huddledmasses View Post
They are a net benefit on our economy. Not a burden.

Yeah you are right, it's like 3-5+ times the wages they make there.
With 10 times the cost of living. For example health care - it's far far more affordable for illegals to give birth back home in their own country IF of course they were paying their way here. There is absolutely no way they can afford the health insurance premiums here for health insurance plans, and there's no way they can pay the cost of their frequent maternity visits to the hospitals or the pediatric health care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration