U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-28-2011, 09:01 AM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,152,437 times
Reputation: 2130

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.1989 View Post
You should ensure there's enough white collar jobs for everyone. Your elected officials should try to attract as much investment as possible and make the country more pro-business. But its questionable whether such policies would attract business. And by keeping undocumented out, you are still going to be competing with documented people that migrate to your country and ask for a lower wage.

And crime in the country would also go down if you manage better to whom you give your guns. The latest massacres that come to mind have all been perpetrated by white documented US citizens.
This sentence makes no sense to me at all, "And by keeping undocumented out, you are still going to be competing with documented people that migrate to your country and ask for a lower wage". If we keep them out how will we still be competing with them?

Uh, the majority of the population is white so one would expect percentage wise they would have higher crimes rates. Since we have our own home grown criminals we certainly don't need to import more from foreign countries. Besides, how often to "massacres" occur in this country compared to the daily crimes that illegal aliens commit?

Last edited by chicagonut; 06-28-2011 at 09:11 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-28-2011, 09:04 AM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,152,437 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by M.1989 View Post
But wages will continue to decline as you compete with Asian nations. Every other country has seen their wages fall because even Indian or Chinese migrants that enter the country LEGALLY and offer to work for a much lower wage will be preferred to someone exhibiting the same strong work ethic but asking for a higher wage. It certainly is not something to cheer about but its inevitable - with or without illegals - its all gloablization.

But some of the stories I read about charging or deporting illegals that are working and trying to raise a family in a country they were brought to unknowingly are just ridiculous. I don't think enforcing these type of laws would do any good to the american economy. Providing citizenship to these undocumented people given they pursue tertiary education or enroll themselves in military makes much more sense economically.
Your economic benefit theory about illegal aliens by legalizing them has been blown to smitherines in here over and over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2011, 09:21 AM
 
34 posts, read 36,304 times
Reputation: 17
In the first post I said that even if you choose to deport the undocumented back, you are still going to be competing with those entering from Asian countries with the right documents and these would still put pressure on your wages. My point being, you are not going to keep wages from falling by deporting, unless you shut the doors to legal migration too and people just buy American made goods (which is unlikely).

If you provide citizenship status to undocumented people on the grounds of tertiary education rather than make them subject to deportation, you will have more graduates, and a more innovative and dynamic workforce. Its a really simple argument.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2011, 09:48 AM
 
Location: Dalton Gardens
2,798 posts, read 5,363,879 times
Reputation: 1570
Quote:
Originally Posted by M.1989 View Post
My point being, you are not going to keep wages from falling by deporting, unless you shut the doors to legal migration too and people just buy American made goods (which is unlikely).
My husband is a LEGAL immigrant here and his wage is not only equatable to any other legal citizen, but higher than many are being offered for similar positions.

Quote:
If you provide citizenship status to undocumented people on the grounds of tertiary education rather than make them subject to deportation, you will have more graduates, and a more innovative and dynamic workforce. Its a really simple argument.
You think? I guess you've never been to most areas of Los Angeles where these illegals prefer to dwell. Their anchor babies have been given the same rights as a legitimate American-born citizen, with education and health care available to them. Going by the looks of their neighborhoods and their general attitudes towards society they haven't done much to make their lives any better than they were in Mexico, El Salvador, etc... They still turn entire neighborhoods into s**t-pits.

Here are some great reasons for putting an absolute stop to illegal immigration and for initiating large scale deportations:

Education Level | Illegal Immigration Statistics
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2011, 09:53 AM
 
1,569 posts, read 1,005,771 times
Reputation: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanna View Post
Their anchor babies have been given the same rights as a legitimate American-born citizen, with education and health care available to them.
That's because they are legitimate American born citizens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2011, 10:00 AM
 
Location: Dalton Gardens
2,798 posts, read 5,363,879 times
Reputation: 1570
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmadinejad View Post
That's because they are legitimate American born citizens.
No, they are anchor babies, whose mothers entered our country in a sneaky and illegal manner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2011, 10:02 AM
 
1,569 posts, read 1,005,771 times
Reputation: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanna View Post
No, they are anchor babies, whose mothers entered our country in a sneaky and illegal manner.
Sneaky illegal moms do not make you a non-citizen.

You want the law changed. But right now the law makes anchor babies legitimate American citizens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2011, 10:10 AM
 
Location: Dalton Gardens
2,798 posts, read 5,363,879 times
Reputation: 1570
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmadinejad View Post
Sneaky illegal moms do not make you a non-citizen.

You want the law changed. But right now the law makes anchor babies legitimate American citizens.
Yes, and because this child is a so-called "American citizen" because of the mother's deceitful actions, said mother also gets to remain and suck up financial benefits because the child needs its mother. I wonder why Claudia Young wasn't given such kind treatment back in 2000?

The Pulitzer Prizes | INS separates mother, child

INS helps deported mother

This is part of the problem. Those who try to do things legally get s**t on, while lawbreakers and scroungers who enter illegally are pampered like little lap dogs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2011, 10:14 AM
 
1,569 posts, read 1,005,771 times
Reputation: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanna View Post
Yes, and because this child is a so-called "American citizen" because of the mother's deceitful actions, said mother also gets to remain and suck up financial benefits because the child needs its mother. I wonder why Claudia Young wasn't given such kind treatment back in 2000?

The Pulitzer Prizes | INS separates mother, child

INS helps deported mother

This is part of the problem. Those who try to do things legally get s**t on, while lawbreakers and scroungers who enter illegally are pampered like little lap dogs.
Separate issue. You said they were not legitimate citizens. They are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2011, 10:24 AM
 
34 posts, read 36,304 times
Reputation: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanna View Post
My husband is a LEGAL immigrant here and his wage is not only equatable to any other legal citizen, but higher than many are being offered for similar positions.
Ah I sense some inconsistency in the arguments then beause some posters have stated that graduates feel a drop in their wages (because of the undocumented) but you're here saying your husband earns even more than the average. Therefore having undocumented people should not be worrying from the aspect of wages of skilled labour, as they only put downward pressure on wages of certain skills.

My position is that control needs to be made at borders as the US is not some banana republic that everyone could just easily get into. However I don't agree with deporting absolutely every undocumented person. It just does not make economic sense to send back people that have been educated for their entire life, in the States because they don't have the papers - what benefits are you going to reap from that? You say the immigration system is broken because it denies permanent residence to chinese and indians that have been educated in the states - when you would be doing just the same thing by deporting students that would be contributing to the economy in a few years or even months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top