U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-28-2011, 10:25 AM
 
403 posts, read 280,796 times
Reputation: 60

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanna View Post
No, they are anchor babies, whose mothers entered our country in a sneaky and illegal manner.
All anchor babies?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-28-2011, 10:37 AM
 
Location: Dalton Gardens
2,798 posts, read 5,362,724 times
Reputation: 1570
Quote:
Originally Posted by M.1989 View Post
Ah I sense some inconsistency in the arguments then beause some posters have stated that graduates feel a drop in their wages (because of the undocumented) but you're here saying your husband earns even more than the average. Therefore having undocumented people should not be worrying from the aspect of wages of skilled labour, as they only put downward pressure on wages of certain skills.

My position is that control needs to be made at borders as the US is not some banana republic that everyone could just easily get into. However I don't agree with deporting absolutely every undocumented person. It just does not make economic sense to send back people that have been educated for their entire life, in the States because they don't have the papers - what benefits are you going to reap from that? You say the immigration system is broken because it denies permanent residence to chinese and indians that have been educated in the states - when you would be doing just the same thing by deporting students that would be contributing to the economy in a few years or even months.
You were infering that ALL immigrants impacted wages. I was stating that LEGAL ones are able to demand equal pay in the job market, whereas illegal ones are not, which is why so many companies who can get away with it are hiring ILLEGALS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2011, 10:54 AM
 
1,569 posts, read 1,005,489 times
Reputation: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanna View Post
You were infering that ALL immigrants impacted wages. I was stating that LEGAL ones are able to demand equal pay in the job market, whereas illegal ones are not, which is why so many companies who can get away with it are hiring ILLEGALS!
Employers have leverage over illegals that they would not if they were legal, but obviously illegal immigrants can demand equal pay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2011, 10:59 AM
 
1,759 posts, read 1,696,885 times
Reputation: 945
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmadinejad View Post
Employers have leverage over illegals that they would not if they were legal, but obviously illegal immigrants can demand equal pay.


I'm baffled that anyone who is here ILLEGALLY can "demand" anything at all.

I suggest they "demand" housing next door to you and the rest of the pro-illegal crowd.

I suggest they "demand" to lie all over your lawn and have their lunch.

I suggest they "demand" to reach into your wallet to pay for their car crashes, hospital births, and education.

How would you like that?
If you say it wouldn't bother you, you're a liar.
If you say it would, you're a hypocrite.
Either way, you're part of the problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2011, 11:02 AM
 
1,569 posts, read 1,005,489 times
Reputation: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alltheusernamesaretaken View Post


I'm baffled that anyone who is here ILLEGALLY can "demand" anything at all.

I suggest they "demand" housing next door to you and the rest of the pro-illegal crowd.

I suggest they "demand" to lie all over your lawn and have their lunch.

I suggest they "demand" to reach into your wallet to pay for their car crashes, hospital births, and education.

How would you like that?
If you say it wouldn't bother you, you're a liar.
If you say it would, you're a hypocrite.
Either way, you're part of the problem.
Demand is being used in the same context as it was present. Legal citizens like myself cannot walk into a board meeting and "demand" pay equal to that of a CEO.

We simply make what we believe to be a competitive offer for the value of our labor. Illegals can do that, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2011, 11:10 AM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,149,569 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by M.1989 View Post
In the first post I said that even if you choose to deport the undocumented back, you are still going to be competing with those entering from Asian countries with the right documents and these would still put pressure on your wages. My point being, you are not going to keep wages from falling by deporting, unless you shut the doors to legal migration too and people just buy American made goods (which is unlikely).

If you provide citizenship status to undocumented people on the grounds of tertiary education rather than make them subject to deportation, you will have more graduates, and a more innovative and dynamic workforce. Its a really simple argument.
What are undocumented? I only know about illegal aliens. So why not eliminate one of the problems then which is ILLEGAL immigration? Most Asians aren't here competing for our blue collar jobs, they are usually educated people. We don't need to shut the door on legal immigration just as long as we can provide jobs and resouces for them while providing jobs for our own first.

Your last paragraph is completely false and only a pipe dream of yours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2011, 11:13 AM
 
1,569 posts, read 1,005,489 times
Reputation: 111
I love how chicagonut calls it "illegal immigration" but refuses to then call them "illegal immigrants."

Makes sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2011, 11:45 AM
 
20 posts, read 9,949 times
Reputation: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by M.1989 View Post
. Gang activity, I come to understand that it is perpetrated by gangs which are even in the US legal - most african american gangs; although crime is the more pressing matter. In fact as Judge Thrash had stated, in blocking parts of the law, that the main concern should be prosecuting illegal aliens that have committed a crime.

ugg the gang problems are more because of the worthless drug war sure they prob pick up illegals as members but gangs would problably be less powerful without a drug war.

I do think illegals need to be controlled but deporting the good illegals (the ones I mentioned above) will certainly not be a benefit to the economy especially since the immigration system denies permanent residence to chinese and indians that are educated in the US - so they go compete against it - that is really what immigration officers should work on.

is this true ??? You mean we make doctors and stuff here and then make them go home ??? I guess what I'm really asking is are we really training people to compete against us ??? Why would we do that ?

I don't get it ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2011, 11:47 AM
 
20 posts, read 9,949 times
Reputation: 14
well I guess more doctors and such for other countries might be a good thing for the recieving country... more educated = more stability and maybe less need for us to go over there bombing or less money in aid. So it's good for the other country and us as well...

But I still think we would be better off with more doctors and such here than sending them shipping
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2011, 12:05 PM
 
34 posts, read 36,297 times
Reputation: 17
U.S. Immigration Policy Risks

That is exactly what you are doing. They are educated in the States and they go back to their homeland where they would eventually be compete with the States - doctors, scientists etc. This is about the immigration system in general not about the undocumented - more about those given the student visas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top