U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 09:09 PM

118 posts, read 80,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanna View Post
Considering they are putting their lives on the line the pay they get can never be enough. My nephew spent 8 years in the Navy and my other nephew, his brother was in the Army for 4 years. My brother was a Marine for a year until he received an honorary discharge due to medical reasons. The pay is not all that fantastic. Comparing our military men with a bunch of cowardly illegals who run away is really no equal comparison at all.
Especially since hardly anyone would enlist if they were paid min wage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2011, 09:10 PM

841 posts, read 791,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpingRoo View Post
About two weeks ago I was at the mall and could not take a survey they had because I was not Hispanic. I openly called the person offering it a racist and the look on her face was one of "how dare he." Just a few years ago I took the same survey with no problem, but oh how the times have changed. I mean, I look Hispanic but I am not, and the looks I get when I do not speak Spanish at some markets is frightening, especially when they begin questioning where my parents are from because I do not speak the "holy" tongue of Spanish; Spanish is EUROPEAN, but these racist's just don't get it.

Los Angeles is the most openly racist city I have lived in, and this includes North Carolina where my mother's co-workers thought she came from Europe to steal their jobs. She was constantly harassed at work but in the end, they warmed up to her and their prejudice was reversed. Can not say the same about this racist, gang infested dump.
Good description of L.A.

Old 06-27-2011, 09:11 PM

2,798 posts, read 5,378,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elián González View Post
Especially since hardly anyone would enlist if they were paid min wage.
Please cite some facts supporting your claims.

Old 06-27-2011, 09:29 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,840,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elián González View Post
I'm pretty sure if you only paid min wage with few benefits there'd be a huge drop in enlistment.

Sorry, but they aren't even comparable.
Do you even know what the pay is when one is in the military? It is NOT minimum wage.

E1 with less than 4 months of service -- $1357 a month.

Old 06-27-2011, 09:35 PM

951 posts, read 617,593 times
I see in 2011 it is 1467. They also receive like college tuition, housing assistance, etc.....

Old 06-27-2011, 09:38 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,840,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huddledmasses View Post
I see in 2011 it is 1467. They also receive like college tuition, housing assistance, etc.....
A real large ton of money for real hard and dangerous working conditions. Less than what many illegals receive for safe jobs and food stamps and medicaid and all the rest.

Old 06-27-2011, 09:46 PM

951 posts, read 617,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Less than what many illegals receive for safe jobs and food stamps and medicaid and all the rest.
Citation needed.

Old 06-27-2011, 09:50 PM

870 posts, read 809,758 times
During the intitial stages of the Industrial Revolution and for some time after, manual work in factories where assembly lines were used was very popular and very available. Gradually the situation has changed as machines have taken over what humans once did.
Furthermore most of these assembly jobs which only required manual dexterity that did remain have gone overseas to places like China, and Taiwan and even Mexico where employers pay the workers less and maximize profit.Presently in the USA such jobs don't pay well, are considered to be for the undereducated, and are generally not sought unless one falls under that category.

So providing examples of how things were in the past means absolutely NOTHING since I am not claiming that things have always been the way they are now. It would take a total ignorance of USA history for me to do that.

Last edited by Radrook; 06-27-2011 at 10:01 PM..

Old 06-27-2011, 09:52 PM

841 posts, read 791,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radrook View Post
These people act as if they want those miserable jobs that these illegals do in the hot sun all day or working their asses off cleaning and caring for kids or dish washing from dawn till dusk. You could pay these complainers four times what these illegals are getting and they STILL wouldn't want those miserable jobs. Especially the AAs who would feel that they are going back to a pre Civil War scenario if they did that. All these people who complain are people who want jobs in an air conditioned office doing paperwork or supervising. Maybe that's why the USA government which often looks the other way and USA businesses who hire these immigrants don't take these complainers seriously.
OOOPs, believe me Americans in L.A. are desperate for the jobs illegals have taken for often the same wages is what I've seen, from housekeeping to construction. Mostly service jobs with some manufacturing jobs. Only 2% of agricultural workers are illegal aliens. There is still the same large blue collar class of American workers looking for work with no college degree. It's mostly the blue collar Americans adults and teens that are complaining. Many white collar jobs such as in government and hospitals are going to new legal immigrants for a few years now, mostly from Asia. Asians often bring money over and buy businesses and are building new homes here in Los Angeles area.

Old 06-27-2011, 09:53 PM

403 posts, read 281,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanna View Post
That is a blatantly wrong blanket statement. I'm an American who doesn't prefer the nice air conditioned office, which puts the LIE to your so-called FACT.
So am I!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or