U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-27-2011, 06:26 PM
 
Location: Rational World Park
4,999 posts, read 3,763,083 times
Reputation: 2372

Advertisements

"State and local law enforcement officers and officials have no authorization to arrest, detain or prosecute anyone based upon sections 7 and 8 of HB 87 while this injunction remains in effect," Thrash ruled.
Those sections allow police to inquire about immigration status when questioning suspects in certain criminal investigations. They also would allow the imposition of prison sentences for people who knowingly transport or harbor illegal immigrants during the commission of a crime.

"The apparent legislative intent is to create such a climate of hostility, fear, mistrust and insecurity that all illegal aliens will leave Georgia," Thrash wrote.

Judge blocks key parts of Georgia immigration law - CNN.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-27-2011, 06:49 PM
 
Location: #
9,605 posts, read 14,309,402 times
Reputation: 6261
This is going to happen over and over again within these states that pass such legislation. It's very obvious that these parts of the law are unconstitutional. No legal citizen of the United States should fear police harassment. It's really that simple.

When will conservatives stop wasting taxpayer money on this issue?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2011, 07:07 PM
 
1,569 posts, read 1,007,399 times
Reputation: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
This is going to happen over and over again within these states that pass such legislation. It's very obvious that these parts of the law are unconstitutional. No legal citizen of the United States should fear police harassment. It's really that simple.

When will conservatives stop wasting taxpayer money on this issue?
That's not why this is (probably) unconstitutional.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2011, 07:18 PM
 
106 posts, read 216,476 times
Reputation: 41
I believe they knew that going in. I think the requested result is that illegals leave. It appears to be working whether parts are blocked or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2011, 07:21 PM
 
Location: Tempe, Az
1,421 posts, read 1,240,671 times
Reputation: 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenyo View Post
"State and local law enforcement officers and officials have no authorization to arrest, detain or prosecute anyone based upon sections 7 and 8 of HB 87 while this injunction remains in effect," Thrash ruled.
Those sections allow police to inquire about immigration status when questioning suspects in certain criminal investigations. They also would allow the imposition of prison sentences for people who knowingly transport or harbor illegal immigrants during the commission of a crime.

"The apparent legislative intent is to create such a climate of hostility, fear, mistrust and insecurity that all illegal aliens will leave Georgia," Thrash wrote.

Judge blocks key parts of Georgia immigration law - CNN.com
Its good to see illegal aliens scared so theyll leave tho Thrash dont agree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2011, 08:48 PM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,172,244 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
This is going to happen over and over again within these states that pass such legislation. It's very obvious that these parts of the law are unconstitutional. No legal citizen of the United States should fear police harassment. It's really that simple.

When will conservatives stop wasting taxpayer money on this issue?
Just what do you mean "legal citizens fearing being harrassed"? What do you call "harrassment"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2011, 08:56 PM
 
118 posts, read 80,343 times
Reputation: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Just what do you mean "legal citizens fearing being harrassed"? What do you call "harrassment"?
Because people like you think you can discern the difference of legal and illegal by sight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2011, 08:58 PM
 
1,569 posts, read 1,007,399 times
Reputation: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD_Harley View Post
I believe they knew that going in. I think the requested result is that illegals leave. It appears to be working whether parts are blocked or not.
And over time, once people understand the new system, they'll return.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2011, 09:23 PM
 
15,924 posts, read 16,900,695 times
Reputation: 7626
A Question: Are you a legal citizen?

B Question: Have you been drinking tonight?

What is the constitutional difference between the two?

If A is considered harassment so is B.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2011, 09:26 PM
 
1,569 posts, read 1,007,399 times
Reputation: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
A Question: Are you a legal citizen?

B Question: Have you been drinking tonight?

What is the constitutional difference between the two?

If A is considered harassment so is B.
It doesn't matter if it's harassment or not when it comes to the constitutionality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top