U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What to do with anchor babies
Deport all the anchor babies, and strip them of their US citizenship 65 60.75%
I accept anchor babies as US citizens will full rights, but I think the law should be changed. 16 14.95%
Anchor babies are US citizens. Even if they leave the country with their deported parents, they may come back any time. 26 24.30%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 10:43 PM

1 posts, read 672 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
My understanding and interpretation of the term anchor baby is that the baby was born from illegal aliens parents, period. I am not making an exception for her because that wasn't the case for her and her family. I really don't care what FAIR says. Did they coin the phrase or do they have some authorization to interpret what it means?

I would like to see birthright citizenship changed so that at least one parent has to be a citizen of this country in order for their newborn to qualify for birthright citizenship, preferably the mother.
Why would you want to punish a child for something his or her parents did? I thought all that 'sins of the fathers' stuff went out in the dark ages.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2011, 11:13 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,807,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonves View Post
Why would you want to punish a child for something his or her parents did? I thought all that 'sins of the fathers' stuff went out in the dark ages.
How are children being punished by having the same citizenship/nationality as their parents?

Old 08-08-2011, 11:24 PM

3,846 posts, read 3,160,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonves View Post
Why would you reward a criminal and their children for crimes committed by their parents ?

Old 08-08-2011, 11:50 PM

254 posts, read 520,202 times
Whether granting citizenship is viewed as a reward or removing it viewed as a punishment, it is pretty disturbing to know that some Americans think other Americans are not supposed to be, and should have their rights removed...

Even if you don't like how the 14th is interpreted and believe it should be changed, the fact that some citizens are willing to go after some other citizens is shameful.

Old 08-09-2011, 01:08 AM

2,381 posts, read 4,408,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
How are children being punished by having the same citizenship/nationality as their parents?
They don't have the same nationality as their parents, who ever told you that. If the parents want their children to have their same nationality, they must apply for it. Their nationality is US Citizen.

Old 08-09-2011, 06:58 AM

9,243 posts, read 7,096,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post
They don't have the same nationality as their parents, who ever told you that. If the parents want their children to have their same nationality, they must apply for it. Their nationality is US Citizen.
Only on paper.
Their parents are still illegal.

In reality they should not be citizens just because their parents broke the law.
The should be stripped from citizenship & be made to apply at 18 when they are able to decide if they want to be here as a citizen.

Old 08-09-2011, 07:13 AM

1,569 posts, read 1,005,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Only on paper.
Their parents are still illegal.

In reality they should not be citizens just because their parents broke the law.
The should be stripped from citizenship & be made to apply at 18 when they are able to decide if they want to be here as a citizen.
Only on paper, lol. As if other methods of attaining citizenship are approved directly by God. Everyone's citizenship status is "only on paper."

Old 08-09-2011, 07:14 AM

1,421 posts, read 1,237,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebowsky View Post
Whether granting citizenship is viewed as a reward or removing it viewed as a punishment, it is pretty disturbing to know that some Americans think other Americans are not supposed to be, and should have their rights removed...

Even if you don't like how the 14th is interpreted and believe it should be changed, the fact that some citizens are willing to go after some other citizens is shameful.
MOST countrys DONT have birthright, especialy rich ones. The USA needs to do the same.

Old 08-09-2011, 07:16 AM

1,421 posts, read 1,237,529 times
Quote:
ILLEGAL aliens kids get birthright. Diplomats kids dont.

Old 08-09-2011, 07:18 AM

14,307 posts, read 11,144,640 times
Quote:
Yes, that is because of the incorrect interpretation of the 14th on birthright citizenship right now. Many countries do not allow birthright citizenship for babies born from non-citizens who are illegally in their country. How do they handle it? All we are saying is that we should follow suit for the various reasons already discussed in here before.

As for Mexican parents who are here illegally and give birth I don't know what the process is for making them Mexican citizens but from what I have read it would be very easy as Mexico recognizes them as Mexicans also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration