U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What to do with anchor babies
Deport all the anchor babies, and strip them of their US citizenship 65 60.75%
I accept anchor babies as US citizens will full rights, but I think the law should be changed. 16 14.95%
Anchor babies are US citizens. Even if they leave the country with their deported parents, they may come back any time. 26 24.30%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 07:06 AM

14,307 posts, read 11,149,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
LOL at this argument.

There is no Ellis Island for immigrants to come to anymore. There is no literal line to stand in as soon as you walk up, get off a boat, etc.

But, that isn't going to stop anybody that wants to come here from coming here. There aren't enough deterrents.
The process to come here legally may have changed over the years but there still is a legal way to come here so I don't know what your point is.

Yes, and we want to put all those deterrants in place to stop them from coming here illegally are you with us or against us? The deterrants are to change birthright citizenship, remove the job and benefit incentives. Pulling out all the stops to secure our borders, continued internal enforcement and making crossing our border illegally a felony.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2011, 08:12 AM

1,569 posts, read 1,005,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid Reigns View Post
Rock and/or IBM, what do you guys make of this situation: Ky. sisters sue to get Social Security numbers - Yahoo! News
Prior to birth certificates, names in a bible were part of the norm. Even after obtaining a birth certificate they were denied SS #'s, they were told: "you have not given us documents we need to show U.S. Citizenship." The women tried to get U.S. passports with their birth certificates. They met the same results.
What specifically are you interested in? I mean, insofar as the government requires a certain set of documents in order to grant certain privileges, this sort of situation is bound to pop up. The more the government hinges on these sorts of documents, the more likely you are to see people who cannot function in society as they would like to.

Old 08-11-2011, 08:34 AM

2,477 posts, read 1,712,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmadinejad View Post
What specifically are you interested in? I mean, insofar as the government requires a certain set of documents in order to grant certain privileges, this sort of situation is bound to pop up. The more the government hinges on these sorts of documents, the more likely you are to see people who cannot function in society as they would like to.
Is citizenship by birth a privilege or a right? The Judge ordered the girls to DNA testing to prove they were born to US citizens parents in order to be granted birth certificates. Can this effect future cases of denial of birth certificates to illegal aliens? Doesn't it also show that a birth certificate is only a document that establishes an ID and is not enough to prove US citizenship?

Last edited by Liquid Reigns; 08-11-2011 at 08:58 AM..

Old 08-11-2011, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Is citizenship by birth a privilege or a right?
The distinction between these two concepts is fictional. The state allows what the state allows. There is not a right they cannot take away.

Quote:
The Judge ordered the girls to DNA testing to prove they were born to US Citizens parents in order to be granted birth certificates. Can this effect future cases of denial of birth certificates to illegal aliens? Doesn't it also show that a birth certificate is only a document that establishes an ID and is not enough to prove US Citizenship?
I'm not familiar enough with the processes as they are now to be able to apply this case, but I think it at least shows that a birth certificate in a vacuum is not going to be enough.

Old 08-11-2011, 08:56 AM

5,302 posts, read 4,011,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
LOL at this argument.

There is no Ellis Island for immigrants to come to anymore. There is no literal line to stand in as soon as you walk up, get off a boat, etc...
There isn't even a virtual line or FIFO queue that legal immigrants go through anymore. Referring to it as such is a misnomer. Each case processes individually through the steps, and has its own unique timeline and factors that affect it.

Old 08-11-2011, 09:06 AM

16,116 posts, read 20,152,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWookie47 View Post
I'm kinda curious what the prevailing opinion in this forum is on the subject of the children of illegal immigrants, aka anchor babies. Naturally, given the prevailing opinion around here, I need to refer to them in the most pejorative term possible. Anyway, I am particularly interested to hear from those whose only beef with illegal immigrants is that they broke the law and who have no issues with the race, language, culture, etc. of legal immigrants. I mean, there are a lot of people here who love people of all races and creeds, but they also love they also love the law.

Edit: I should add that option B refers to all current, living anchor babies. If the law changes, then people born to illegal immigrants after that date will be subject to the new law.
NOT LAW, the Constitution would have to be changed.

It wpould get Mitt Romney out of the race though

Old 08-11-2011, 09:06 AM

Quote:
The distinction between these two concepts is fictional. The state allows what the state allows. There is not a right they cannot take away.

I'm not familiar enough with the processes as they are now to be able to apply this case, but I think it at least shows that a birth certificate in a vacuum is not going to be enough.
If this is to be the case, then is simply being born on US soil (obtaining a US birth certificate) enough to be deemed a US citizen by birth (as is the case with illegal aliens children born here)? The 2 girls gave DNA samples to prove they were born to US citizen parents, obtained birth certificates, and its still not enough to be deemed US citizens by Social Security or the DoS for a US Passport proving citizenship.

Old 08-11-2011, 09:09 AM

Quote:
If this is to be the case, then is simply being born on US soil (obtaining a US birth certificate) enough to be deemed a US citizen by birth (as is the case with illegal aliens children born here)? The 2 girls gave DNA samples to prove they were born to US citizen parents, obtained birth certificates, and its still not enough to be deemed US citizens by Social Security or the DoS for a US Passport proving citizenship.
Right, I believe that is due to the fact that their past records are not really consistent with their claim, which I assume is simply casting doubt on the veracity of the birth certificate rather than interfering with some further requirements of citizenship.

Old 08-11-2011, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Right, I believe that is due to the fact that their past records are not really consistent with their claim, which I assume is simply casting doubt on the veracity of the birth certificate rather than interfering with some further requirements of citizenship.
Your using the claim as made by SS. How can the veracity of the birth certificate be in question when it is a State issued document and the judge in the case had DNA samples proving they were born to 2 US citizen parents? According to some in here, simply being born on US soil and obtaining a birth certificate automatically grants Birthright Citizenship to illegal aliens children. It's kinda hard to accept that claim if these two girls, born to US citizens on US soil having State issued birth certificates, still aren't being recognized as US citizens.

Old 08-11-2011, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Your using the claim as made by SS. How can the veracity of the birth certificate be in question when it is a State issued document and the judge in the case had DNA samples proving they were born to 2 US citizen parents?
I agree that it's silly.

Quote:
According to some in here, simply being born on US soil and obtaining a birth certificate automatically grants Birthright Citizenship to illegal aliens children. It's kinda hard to accept that claim if these two girls, born to US citizens on US soil having State issued birth certificates, still aren't being recognized as US citizens.
The SS is saying that the birth certificate is not valid for their purposes, but the assumption that being born on US soil or to citizen parents grants citizenship is not being challenged.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration