U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What to do with anchor babies
Deport all the anchor babies, and strip them of their US citizenship 65 60.75%
I accept anchor babies as US citizens will full rights, but I think the law should be changed. 16 14.95%
Anchor babies are US citizens. Even if they leave the country with their deported parents, they may come back any time. 26 24.30%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 10:26 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,240,109 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhymetime View Post
I would oppose this idea, but if it were to happen, it should apply to EVERYONE that is born here. That is, NOBODY gets citizenship just by being born.

Now, under this set of rules, how many of the "deport em all" crowd would make the cut?
Womt work. ALL countrys give birthright to the kids of there citiznes if BOTH mom and dad are. No reason for the USA to be diferent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2011, 10:26 PM

951 posts, read 617,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbartlebee View Post
According to the 1965 Immigration and Nationality Act, when babies who were born to illegal alien mothers grow up and turn 21, they can sponsor other family members for entry into the United States.
Waiting 21 years sounds much easier than just waiting the 10 years for a visa. What clever thinking.

Old 08-11-2011, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
1. Could you explain, please, why the exact language of the amendment is a wrong interpretation? Are you one of those judicial activists we hear so much about?

2. Is that what the parents think? And you know this how, exactly? You're aware that illegal aliens don't get welfare benefits, right?
Illegal aliens DO get welfare thru there anchors.

Old 08-11-2011, 10:29 PM

951 posts, read 617,513 times
They get benefits for the kid. You are telling me money given to help provide for 1 kid is making them cross deserts? Rofl. mkay. Only like 30% of illegals even have kids. What are the other 70% leeching?

Old 08-11-2011, 10:30 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,829,832 times
Quote:
Interest in sex? Poor planning?

Whatever it is, having a baby in the United States doesn't save them from being deported. Hence, no anchor.
Unfortunately it does, or they wouldn't be coming here in such large numbers to give birth here where the costs of a hospital stay and doctor visits are enormously larger than health care costs back home. Not to mention the fact that the cost of living is so much higher here, but these are people who cannot afford to have children back home, here they have them because they don't expect to have to pay anything at all toward them.

Very very few illegals are ever deported and certainly are not deported for skipping out on their hospital bill. Once they give birth, they can freely show up at the welfare offices to claim their food stamps, WIC, Medicaid, free housing and all the rest.

Old 08-11-2011, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Interest in sex? Poor planning?

Whatever it is, having a baby in the United States doesn't save them from being deported. Hence, no anchor.
jack: if havin a USA born kid would NOT help keep the illegal aliens here; few would have kids cause they cost money.

Old 08-11-2011, 10:35 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,829,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikCortez View Post
Womt work. ALL countrys give birthright to the kids of there citiznes if BOTH mom and dad are. No reason for the USA to be diferent.
That would definitely improve things. This nonsense of getting over the border just in time to give birth or using birth to get around the immigration laws has to end. This gets us the very worst kind of illegals, the most helpless, government dependent and irresponsible. It's one thing to have dirt cheap workers but very often having children is not only a way around the immigration laws but a way around having to work for a living.

And no way should the anchor babies be able to sponsor their illegal family members. Let the family members be returned home. Or -- what really should be done is have sponsors held responsible for their immigrants, and that would include buying them health insurance policies and required to pay living costs of them.

Legal family sponsored immigration rates would certainly drop if the sponsors were held responsible for all the financial costs of their "loved ones".

Old 08-11-2011, 10:36 PM

1,574 posts, read 791,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikCortez View Post
The fact that other places do it one way doesn't mean it won't work. It's a hypothetical.

Old 08-11-2011, 10:42 PM

8,221 posts, read 10,968,807 times
This is a hard query. I was born in Germany to American parents and I am an American. So how is it when these babies are born to parents of other nationality they are American? While I had dual citizenship my parents didn't It seems we offer more than other countries do and I'm not sure why.

I do think many of these young people that no no other country should not be deported. but the parents that are here illegally are fair game. I do think the long investment in time here should help towards citizenship but if they don't change then they shopuld be deported.

Old 08-11-2011, 10:45 PM

18,856 posts, read 30,544,912 times
The real problem is how short sighted the United States is, no pre-natal care to undocumented aliens, only emergency medicaid to cover the birth...thus, there ARE more birth defects, and children born with disabilities to undocumented women in the United States, who are then funneled into Social Security Benefits for LIFE...starting the day they are born.

And people wonder why Social Security is going broke...it is not the issue with elderly folks, that is for sure...it is the children who start collecting from BIRTH, and keep it until DEATH...they never paid a dime, nor did their parents...

That is an issue no one wants to touch...benefits for disabled children, who are born in the US, to illegal aliens...

Last edited by jasper12; 08-11-2011 at 10:46 PM.. Reason: edit
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration