U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What to do with anchor babies
Deport all the anchor babies, and strip them of their US citizenship 65 60.75%
I accept anchor babies as US citizens will full rights, but I think the law should be changed. 16 14.95%
Anchor babies are US citizens. Even if they leave the country with their deported parents, they may come back any time. 26 24.30%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 08:18 AM

5,302 posts, read 4,010,077 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWookie47 View Post
...Edit: I should add that option B refers to all current, living anchor babies. If the law changes, then people born to illegal immigrants after that date will be subject to the new law.
And "Option A" will have to be reversed to be viable: Someone with citizenship cannot be deported...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2011, 08:20 AM

47,576 posts, read 58,699,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
They should be made to reapply at 18.

No automatic citizenship. Send them to the back of the line.
Very good suggestion. If they truly love the USA more than their other country, they should get in line with other worthy immigrants.

And why does everyone think that none of the anchor babies would choose their other country if they were sent home with their parents and raised there? There are people in Mexico who very much love their country and would not leave it, it's very possible some of the anchor babies would grow up loving Mexico (or whatever other homeland), and would not ever want to leave it for any American money.

Old 06-28-2011, 08:21 AM

192 posts, read 91,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
And "Option A" will have to be reversed to be viable: Someone with citizenship cannot be deported...
Well, the children of illegal immigrants who are born here are often deported back to their countries of origin along with their parents, especially if the child is very young.

Old 06-28-2011, 08:23 AM

47,576 posts, read 58,699,632 times
Quote:
Well, the children of illegal immigrants who are born here are often deported back to their countries of origin along with their parents, especially if the child is very young.
I think the parents have the option of keeping their children and taking them home with them or abandoning them -- it's incredible that so many of these people threaten to abandon their own children if deported. That is crappy parenting.

Old 06-28-2011, 08:28 AM

Quote:
False, the parent(s) are deported, but not the U.S. citizen children...

Don't confuse accompanying the parent(s) with sharing their status...

It would even be a matter of semantics whether a "child" (not culpable for their actions) is legally defined as "deported", or merely "removed"...

Old 06-28-2011, 08:31 AM

192 posts, read 91,366 times
Alright, I'll grant that I was using the incorrect term. I didn't realize that my terminology was what you were taking issue with, instead of the act of leaving the country.

Old 06-28-2011, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Alright, I'll grant that I was using the incorrect term. I didn't realize that my terminology was what you were taking issue with, instead of the act of leaving the country.
Are you just wishing and blowing on a daffodil, or want to be taken seriously?...

Malamute, finished with that list, or do you just have the Hispanic countries?...

My boss paid for my lunch yesterday, does that mean I am on company welfare?...

Old 06-28-2011, 08:39 AM

403 posts, read 280,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
really? why? it would have made him less of a person? less of an American? less of a Mormon?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmadinejad View Post
It would make the primary 10x as fun.
This. I wasn't meaning to imply anything negative at all. It is a pretty funny idea if you put it in the context of what many people on this forum seem to of anchor babies as, though.

Old 06-28-2011, 08:42 AM

14,307 posts, read 11,146,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Granpa and Granny Romney renounced their citizenship to go to Mexico and practice polygamy. At some point they must have gotten it right or given up because they returned with Mitts father George in tow. I've never seen evidence that they bothered to have their citizenship restored or have George, born in Mexico, naturalized.

If their name was Lopez the right would have him on a bus headed for Nogales
Google the history of the Romney family and you will find you are wrong. Nice attempt at the race card. You will be yet another one on my ignore list.

Old 06-28-2011, 08:47 AM

14,307 posts, read 11,146,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
Mexican nationality, not Mexican citizenship...

Of course we are going to need sources for ALL (not just Hispanic, as the thinking is here) countries an illegal alien parent can come from...

That will keep you busy for awhile...
There is no essential difference between being a Mexican citizen and a Mexican national. Besides, if there is a slight difference it would easy for them to gain full citizenship through their parents. Cite, please.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration