Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What to do with anchor babies
Deport all the anchor babies, and strip them of their US citizenship 65 60.75%
I accept anchor babies as US citizens will full rights, but I think the law should be changed. 16 14.95%
Anchor babies are US citizens. Even if they leave the country with their deported parents, they may come back any time. 26 24.30%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 05:23 PM

10,793 posts, read 13,532,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhymetime View Post
I think the bright side in your mind is that they'll all be somewhere you don't have to see them. If togetherness were really your concern, you would favor a different approach.

You obviously didn't get my sarcasm! You are correct! I don't care! I want them out.....AND I want to to aply LEGALLY! If they don't want the children taken away, then they should take them back to Mexico or where ever....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2011, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
In other words, you don't care what the facts are, you're just going to keep telling the same bogus story.

Mexicans --- "Anchors Aweigh" on US Soil - YouTube
HERE'S THE SOB STORY!!!!

'Anchor Babies' Could Be Arizona's Next Target - Video - KPHO Phoenix.flv - YouTube

AZ Lawmaker Moves To Make Babies Of "Illegals" Born In U.S. Not Get Citizenship - YouTube

Old 08-11-2011, 05:34 PM

THIS IS INSANE!!!!!!!!!!!!
THIS WOMAN DID IT ON PURPOSE!!!

Old 08-11-2011, 06:08 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,544,515 times
Quote:
I know I've said this before but I'll keep saying it.

There is no such thing as an anchor baby.

The law--and yes, although you conservatives may not like it, the Constitution of the United States is the supreme law of the land--provides that, "All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside."

This means that regardless of your parents' citizenship, if you're born here you're a citizen. The exception is people who are not "subject to the jurisdiction thereof", i.e. foreign diplomats.

It also means that a state has no authority to adopt a different standard for citizenship, no matter what they may claim.

The birth of a child in the United States has absolutely no effect on the citizenship of the parents, and it does not convey citizenship or the right to remain in the United States on the parents.

In other words, people who are citizens by virtue of their birth in the United States DO NOT anchor their parents to the country.

Hence, there is no such thing as an anchor baby. The use of the term is just a way to inflame the debate by injecting a false premise into the discussion
A false premise? I think not. Otherwise, illegal alien advocates, such as Luis Gutierrez, La Raza, MALDEF, et al. would not threaten to withhold their votes from Obama in 2012 if he does not acquiesce to their DEMANDS to pardon (legalize) the parents of anchors. Actually, the other term, “jackpot babies” is a more apt description, because once an illegal gives birth on U.S. soil, they have essentially hit the jackpot for at least 18 years per child -- WIC, welfare, Medicaid, subsidized housing, food stamps, etc, are all theirs for the taking. And, they certainly do take.

Quote:
Among the changes the campaign is asking for: granting parole to students eligible for the DREAM Act, parents of citizen children, and immigrants with deep roots in the community; and greater protections for all workers, including a moratorium on audits and ensuring the right to organize.
Immigration Advocates Push Obama To Make Good On Campaign Promises

Quote:
Gutierrez said he thinks Latinos should vote for Obama in 2012 — but only if the president first takes actions to relieve deportation threats for families of citizens and would-be DREAM Act beneficiaries.
Luis Gutierrez: Latinos won’t vote for Obama in 2012 without deportation relief | MarioWire

Quote:
(Washington, DC) – Today, at a Capitol Hill press conference, Rep. Luis V. Gutierrez (D-IL-4) was joined by families, community advocates, religious leaders, and other Members of Congress to announce the kick off of the Campaign for American Children and Families. The tour will lift up the stories of families and individuals "whose lives are being turned upside down by deportation," Rep. Gutierrez said, and will focus on U.S. citizens with immigrant parents or spouses whose families are being split apart. Almost 400,000 people are deported each year, a record number, and approximately four million U.S. citizen children have at least one parent who could be deported under current law.
Quote:
Daisy was born here, a U.S. citizen just like me, my kids, and my grandson, but Daisy's sister and her parents were born in another country and could probably never get a visa to come here legally or would have to wait years or decades before a visa came through. Her parents left the sister behind with family because they were seeking a better life and to work at jobs they indeed found in this country and Daisy was born here.

Now, every day when Daisy goes to school, her government, the U.S. government, in the nation of her birth and citizenship, goes to work every day trying to figure out ways to break up Daisy's family and deport her parents.
REP. GUTIERREZ ANNOUNCES 20-PLUS CITY TOUR: "CAMPAIGN FOR AMERICAN CHILDREN AND FAMILIES"

Old 08-11-2011, 06:44 PM

Quote:
I know I've said this before but I'll keep saying it.

There is no such thing as an anchor baby.

The law--and yes, although you conservatives may not like it, the Constitution of the United States is the supreme law of the land--provides that, "All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside."

This means that regardless of your parents' citizenship, if you're born here you're a citizen. The exception is people who are not "subject to the jurisdiction thereof", i.e. foreign diplomats.

It also means that a state has no authority to adopt a different standard for citizenship, no matter what they may claim.

The birth of a child in the United States has absolutely no effect on the citizenship of the parents, and it does not convey citizenship or the right to remain in the United States on the parents.

In other words, people who are citizens by virtue of their birth in the United States DO NOT anchor their parents to the country.

Hence, there is no such thing as an anchor baby. The use of the term is just a way to inflame the debate by injecting a false premise into the discussion.

THEN EXPLAIN THIS, JACK....

Old 08-11-2011, 07:35 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,325,632 times
Interesting, if there is no such thing as an "anchor baby" explian the runaway statistics on Latina youth pregnancy? When I taught school, many of my undocumented students were actively trying to concieve! I over heard one girl hoping her child would have a disability, because then the baby could get housing, and Social Security. That was her "goal", to have a baby eligible for SSI!?

Old 08-11-2011, 08:12 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,544,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Interesting, if there is no such thing as an "anchor baby" explian the runaway statistics on Latina youth pregnancy? When I taught school, many of my undocumented students were actively trying to concieve! I over heard one girl hoping her child would have a disability, because then the baby could get housing, and Social Security. That was her "goal", to have a baby eligible for SSI!?
This is beyond sick! Sadly, it isn’t the first time I’ve heard of such despicable plans for exploiting their children and fleecing taxpayers. I suppose all of the other freebies are just not enough.

Old 08-11-2011, 08:32 PM

11,755 posts, read 14,634,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Interest in sex? Poor planning?

Whatever it is, having a baby in the United States doesn't save them from being deported. Hence, no anchor.

Old 08-11-2011, 08:40 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,304,606 times
Quote:
Interest in sex? Poor planning?

Whatever it is, having a baby in the United States doesn't save them from being deported. Hence, no anchor.
As I said, with the constant promise of another amnesty for the past few years they do "think" that having a U.S. citizen child will be a shoe in for them to get first consideration for it. Regardless that they aren't insulated against deportation right now and even though some do get deported the above is the hope they cling to. And as I said, it anchors them onto our welfare system. Of that there is no denying.

Old 08-11-2011, 08:54 PM

335 posts, read 328,489 times
Quote:

Hence, there is no such thing as an anchor baby. The use of the term is just a way to inflame the debate by injecting a false premise into the discussion.
According to the 1965 Immigration and Nationality Act, when babies who were born to illegal alien mothers grow up and turn 21, they can sponsor other family members for entry into the United States.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration