U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 11:03 PM

5,302 posts, read 4,009,391 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakWeight View Post
It is far from certain and sometimes maddeningly counter intuitive.
?

I was told something is possible, but they are unwilling to provide the details...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2011, 11:30 PM

37 posts, read 22,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
Is he married to a U.S. citizen? I know of no other way to go from being an illegal immigrant to Legal Permanent Resident. Even that isn't a guarantee, and he would typically have to at least briefly return to the Philippines.
No. He's gay, which means he hit the unfortunate immigration circumstance jackpot.

Old 06-30-2011, 12:17 AM

777 posts, read 923,107 times
There was no way for him to obtain legal status..he even said so himself. He would have had to o back to the Phillipines, wait out his 10 year ban then apply for immigrant status..He outlines all this in his "coming out" article as it were. But IMHO the fact that he didn't do that and re-enter the US legally is where all these illegal kids are today. They were brought here as youngsters..educated in our schools... lived our freedoms and as such feel a sense of entitlement to stay. That is wrong..they are still illegal and should be sent home. All they have is a "sense" of entitlement..they are not entitled.
It is a sad thing that he was decieved by his family as he was...and I feel that way for those that truly do not know but it doesn't change the facts. All those people that helped cover up his status are no better then those that hire illegals under the table. I said in another thread and I will say it here..he could have built a career and become famous in his own country. You don't have to be in America to fully live your passion..you do to live the American Dream. He wanted the American Dream.
With the current ICE situation he will prolly be glorified by the illegal communty as one who "made it".

Old 06-30-2011, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanygirl View Post
There was no way for him to obtain legal status..he even said so himself. He would have had to o back to the Phillipines, wait out his 10 year ban then apply for immigrant status..He outlines all this in his "coming out" article as it were. But IMHO the fact that he didn't do that and re-enter the US legally is where all these illegal kids are today. They were brought here as youngsters..educated in our schools... lived our freedoms and as such feel a sense of entitlement to stay. That is wrong..they are still illegal and should be sent home. All they have is a "sense" of entitlement..they are not entitled.

If someone was brought to the United States as a young child and raised here, they are home. You're advocating sending them somewhere completely foreign to them.

Do you really think it's realistic to expect a 16 year old child to come to the realization that he's in the country illegally, decide to abandon the his US citizen grandparents with whom he lived for 4 years to go back to the Philippines to live with his single mother, against the desires of his family and working against all of the efforts they had made just a few years earlier? And, if so, where was he going to get the money to do this, as a 16 year old kid?

Quote:
It is a sad thing that he was decieved by his family as he was...and I feel that way for those that truly do not know but it doesn't change the facts. All those people that helped cover up his status are no better then those that hire illegals under the table. I said in another thread and I will say it here..he could have built a career and become famous in his own country. You don't have to be in America to fully live your passion..you do to live the American Dream. He wanted the American Dream.
With the current ICE situation he will prolly be glorified by the illegal communty as one who "made it".

He didn't want anything. He didn't even know he was an illegal alien until he was 16. It's not as if he made some concerted effort to sneak into the country to live large off the state welfare system...which, obviously, he definitely hasn't done.

Further, what does the United States gain from sending a Pulitzer Prize winning writer back to a country he hasn't lived in since he was 12? He's a valuable contributor to society; why discard such a person?

There are generally two lines of argument for deporting illegal aliens; first, that they're a drain on the local welfare systems, and second, that they're breaking the law. Obviously, Vargas doesn't fit the first criterion. As for the second, most of threads here that address the topic claim that these immigration laws are in place to protect American citizens. Well, who is being harmed by Vargas' presence? Who would be protected by his deportation?

Old 06-30-2011, 02:34 AM

2,075 posts, read 1,773,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixtysevensixtyseven View Post
Those 2 are pretty heartless. i dont' think a majority of americans would start a crusade against someone stealing peanut butter to feed their starving kids.

I dont' see many juries convicting either.

Since your talking about 'MOVIES"

What's your opinion of movies where the "good guy is wrongly convicted of murder or something and goes on a 2 hour crusade to prove his innocence"

At the end of the movie you feel happy that the person was now clear and the movie was good and you got your 10 dollars worth....

But during the whole movie everything the man was doing to clear himself was "illegal".

So you spend 2 hrs rooting for a person doing illegal things.

double standard IMO

(I dont' have a problem with your views so much as I do your examples)

Stealing peanut butter to feed starving kids....come on

Autobots are "illegal" to but did not see shia la beauf rushing to the INS about them
Redd Heriing argument. How do you know what the majority will do? Facts or site please.

Beg to differ on your view of juries.. The CA 3 strikes
rule comes 2 mind.

Movies? You take analogy to a whole new plane.
I thought this was the "ilegal alien" forum.
Since you are doing the same thing, I see no double
standard,

I don't know who is rooting for what, but, neither
do you,, unlless you have a really good crystal ball
hideing in the toilet.

Last, but not least.....Autobots scare me, so if I see
one (stealing peanut butter and such) damn right
im calling the INS, the police,, and ghost busters to..
In fact,, I see one going into the 7-Eleven right now
OMG,, he has a gun. Oh Noooooo,, here he comes,
guess. I better run before............................................ ....

Old 06-30-2011, 07:58 AM

14,307 posts, read 11,144,640 times
Quote:
Excellent and truthful post. These people need to put the blame where the blame belongs and that is on their parents, not on this country.

Old 06-30-2011, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickDros View Post
If someone was brought to the United States as a young child and raised here, they are home. You're advocating sending them somewhere completely foreign to them.

Do you really think it's realistic to expect a 16 year old child to come to the realization that he's in the country illegally, decide to abandon the his US citizen grandparents with whom he lived for 4 years to go back to the Philippines to live with his single mother, against the desires of his family and working against all of the efforts they had made just a few years earlier? And, if so, where was he going to get the money to do this, as a 16 year old kid?

He didn't want anything. He didn't even know he was an illegal alien until he was 16. It's not as if he made some concerted effort to sneak into the country to live large off the state welfare system...which, obviously, he definitely hasn't done.

Further, what does the United States gain from sending a Pulitzer Prize winning writer back to a country he hasn't lived in since he was 12? He's a valuable contributor to society; why discard such a person?

There are generally two lines of argument for deporting illegal aliens; first, that they're a drain on the local welfare systems, and second, that they're breaking the law. Obviously, Vargas doesn't fit the first criterion. As for the second, most of threads here that address the topic claim that these immigration laws are in place to protect American citizens. Well, who is being harmed by Vargas' presence? Who would be protected by his deportation?
None of this is our problem. Our laws are our laws. He needs to put the blame on his parents where it belongs. People move to other countries all the time and they adjust. He probably even speaks the language of his homeland. Let him be an asset to his homeland. It isn't like we have a shortage here of intelligent and productive people of our own.

Old 06-30-2011, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
None of this is our problem. Our laws are our laws. He needs to put the blame on his parents where it belongs. People move to other countries all the time and they adjust. He probably even speaks the language of his homeland. Let him be an asset to his homeland. It isn't like we have a shortage here of intelligent and productive people of our own.
He is one "of our own." He's a human being (just like you and me!), educated in US schools, works for US corporations, buys products from other US corporations, reads and writes in English, contributes to the US tax base, and is, in every substantive way American.

Answer the question I posed in that post: What does the United States gain from sending a Pulitzer Prize winning writer back to a country he hasn't lived in since he was 12? He's a valuable contributor to society; why discard such a person?

Why do you want to weaken the United States by sending people like this, who are quite obviously valuable assets, away?

Old 06-30-2011, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickDros View Post
He is one "of our own." He's a human being (just like you and me!), educated in US schools, works for US corporations, buys products from other US corporations, reads and writes in English, contributes to the US tax base, and is, in every substantive way American.

Answer the question I posed in that post: What does the United States gain from sending a Pulitzer Prize winning writer back to a country he hasn't lived in since he was 12? He's a valuable contributor to society; why discard such a person?

Why do you want to weaken the United States by sending people like this, who are quite obviously valuable assets, away?
Unless he is a citizen of this country NO he isn't one of our own. That piece of paper is the definer, not what he buys, does or the fact that he speaks English. What does being human have to do with our right to have and to enforce our immigration laws?

He would be a gain to his own homeland. Why do people like you try to claim that returning to one's place of birth is some horrible punishment, especially when it is a country not being waged by war or persecution? We can't just arbitrarily ignore our laws and the punishment for them because of his personal accomplishments. If that were true we wouldn't have any Americans in prison. I stand by what I say. You're entitled to your opinion and so am I. Mine are based on the rule of law.

Old 06-30-2011, 08:58 AM

777 posts, read 923,107 times
For RickDros:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Excellent and truthful post. These people need to put the blame where the blame belongs and that is on their parents, not on this country.

And not on the laws of said country or the citizens of said country for wanting our laws upheld. You can p*iss and moan all day about how they are home and they have worked so hard and they don't know anything else... but that doesn't change the law and the law says they must go.
And no, he wasn't violent or a drain on the social services system but the scholarships he had could have been used by someone legal, the internships he had could have been had by someone legal. What I am saying is for every 1 of him there are 100 that deserve the opportunities he had that are legal.
I have to ask this tho....are you one of those pro illegal trolls from that "other" website??? Because, all emotions aside, the facts are the facts and the law is the law...you just seem to be wanting to argue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or