Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 10:25 AM

2,852 posts, read 6,485,150 times

Advertisements

Journalist Jose Antonio Vargas stated... "if I didn't tell those lies, I couldn't have gotten work and I couldn't have survived."

Jose Antonio Vargas Defends Deceptions About His Immigration Status

Why is it that these illegals always have an excuse as to WHY their illegal actions should be acceptable?

I can just imagine what would happen to any American or legal immigrant if they stood in front of a judge saying...

"If I didn't cheat on my taxes I wouldn't have been able to send my children to college"

"If I didn't work under the table while collecting unemployment I wouldn't have been able to pay the mortgage and keep a roof over my family's head."

"If I didn't steal that loaf of bread and jar of peanut butter my children would have gone hungry."

There is no excuse for this man's lies. He could have applied at any time to adjust his status to legal permanent residency.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2011, 10:35 AM

20 posts, read 12,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanna View Post
"If I didn't work under the table while collecting unemployment I wouldn't have been able to pay the mortgage and keep a roof over my family's head."

"If I didn't steal that loaf of bread and jar of peanut butter my children would have gone hungry."

Those 2 are pretty heartless. i dont' think a majority of americans would start a crusade against someone stealing peanut butter to feed their starving kids.

I dont' see many juries convicting either.

Since your talking about 'MOVIES"

What's your opinion of movies where the "good guy is wrongly convicted of murder or something and goes on a 2 hour crusade to prove his innocence"

At the end of the movie you feel happy that the person was now clear and the movie was good and you got your 10 dollars worth....

But during the whole movie everything the man was doing to clear himself was "illegal".

So you spend 2 hrs rooting for a person doing illegal things.

double standard IMO

(I dont' have a problem with your views so much as I do your examples)

Stealing peanut butter to feed starving kids....come on

Autobots are "illegal" to but did not see shia la beauf rushing to the INS about them

Old 06-28-2011, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixtysevensixtyseven View Post
Those 2 are pretty heartless. i dont' think a majority of americans would start a crusade against someone stealing peanut butter to feed their starving kids.

I dont' see many juries convicting either.

Since your talking about 'MOVIES"

What's your opinion of movies where the "good guy is wrongly convicted of murder or something and goes on a 2 hour crusade to prove his innocence"

At the end of the movie you feel happy that the person was now clear and the movie was good and you got your 10 dollars worth....

But during the whole movie everything the man was doing to clear himself was "illegal".

So you spend 2 hrs rooting for a person doing illegal things.

double standard IMO

(I dont' have a problem with your views so much as I do your examples)

Stealing peanut butter to feed starving kids....come on

Autobots are "illegal" to but did not see shia la beauf rushing to the INS about them
My point is that many Americans are struggling to survive right now and if caught in any type of illegal activity in order to survive our legal system does not accept excuses for their actions. We all know that committing any illegal act comes with a price to pay if caught.

Movies are not reality, illegal immigrants are.

Oh, and regarding the second example, of working under the table while on unemployment... you don't think someone would be convicted for this? WRONG! My father was, when he was 61 years old and trying to pay the mortgage. Even with my mom employed full time they were struggling. Dad was sentenced to 3 months.

Old 06-28-2011, 12:24 PM

838 posts, read 922,375 times
Quote:
Journalist Jose Antonio Vargas stated... "if I didn't tell those lies, I couldn't have gotten work and I couldn't have survived."

Jose Antonio Vargas Defends Deceptions About His Immigration Status

Why is it that these illegals always have an excuse as to WHY their illegal actions should be acceptable?

I can just imagine what would happen to any American or legal immigrant if they stood in front of a judge saying...

"If I didn't cheat on my taxes I wouldn't have been able to send my children to college"

There is no excuse for this man's lies. He could have applied at any time to adjust his status to legal permanent residency.
That's so right, I've found them to be not a humble honest bunch...they either deny, make exuses, and even turn the blame on their victims. The world owes me a living mentality.

Old 06-28-2011, 12:27 PM

1,569 posts, read 1,211,113 times
Who are this dude's victims, again?

Old 06-28-2011, 12:32 PM

5,299 posts, read 4,847,626 times
Quote:
...[Journalist Jose Antonio Vargas] could have applied at any time to adjust his status to legal permanent residency.
Citation needed for the USCIS process, forms, and method he could have used to be able to successfully do that...

Old 06-28-2011, 12:36 PM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times
He's just doing work legal American citizens won't do....

Old 06-28-2011, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
Citation needed for the USCIS process, forms, and method he could have used to be able to successfully do that...
Since you and I are both married to LEGAL immigrant spouses you know as well as I do that there are a nuber of paths he could have taken. No citation needed. The site is easy enough to find for anyone who wishes to look.

Old 06-28-2011, 06:36 PM

5,299 posts, read 4,847,626 times
Quote:
Since you and I are both married to LEGAL immigrant spouses you know as well as I do that there are a nuber of paths he could have taken. No citation needed. The site is easy enough to find for anyone who wishes to look.
Is he married to a U.S. citizen? I know of no other way to go from being an illegal immigrant to Legal Permanent Resident. Even that isn't a guarantee, and he would typically have to at least briefly return to the Philippines.

Old 06-28-2011, 06:40 PM

14 posts, read 6,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
Is he married to a U.S. citizen? I know of no other way to go from being an illegal immigrant to Legal Permanent Resident. Even that isn't a guarantee, and he would typically have to at least briefly return to the Philippines.
It is far from certain and sometimes maddeningly counter intuitive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration