U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 08:36 AM

786 posts, read 4,228,082 times

Advertisements

I noticed there was a slight uptick in the media coverage of the immigration issue when Congress was debating the Amnesty Bill, but since then hardly anything. Maybe they just want to ignore the issue and people will stop talking about it and the status quo can continue. It is never discussed at the Democratic Debates. And rarely talked about on the evening news shows.

Please do not get into another tired discussion about the pros and cons of illegal immigration. Instead, lets talk about why the issue is ignored by the mainstream media.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2007, 12:42 PM

2,432 posts, read 6,004,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingler View Post
I noticed there was a slight uptick in the media coverage of the immigration issue when Congress was debating the Amnesty Bill, but since then hardly anything. Maybe they just want to ignore the issue and people will stop talking about it and the status quo can continue. It is never discussed at the Democratic Debates. And rarely talked about on the evening news shows.

Please do not get into another tired discussion about the pros and cons of illegal immigration. Instead, lets talk about why the issue is ignored by the mainstream media.
It's all politics. The status quo benefits the democratic party.

It's only the liberal media that's distancing itself from the issue. The more conservative media outlets haven't. A huge majority of illegal aliens here are hispanic, and will either be legalized and end up voting democratic, or their anchor babies will grow up and vote democratic. The status quo benefits the democratic party, which much of the media actively supports.

In other words, illegal aliens are having a million man march into the United States across our southern border every single year. And every year it continues brings the republican party closer to extinction.

Old 05-24-2010, 05:46 PM

358 posts, read 332,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye48 View Post
It's all politics. The status quo benefits the democratic party.

It's only the liberal media that's distancing itself from the issue. The more conservative media outlets haven't. A huge majority of illegal aliens here are hispanic, and will either be legalized and end up voting democratic, or their anchor babies will grow up and vote democratic. The status quo benefits the democratic party, which much of the media actively supports.

In other words, illegal aliens are having a million man march into the United States across our southern border every single year. And every year it continues brings the republican party closer to extinction.
Could not have said it better....

Old 05-24-2010, 06:52 PM

364 posts, read 184,416 times
media talkin more about tha ilegal aliens now
story from 2007

Old 05-24-2010, 08:22 PM

526 posts, read 412,279 times
There is a LOT of news that the mainstream media does not cover. Do you actually watch the major network newscasts? In a half hour broadcast, after commercials there is maybe 20 minutes of news. Out of that, maybe 5 minutes is real news, and is usually the top 2 or 3 breaking stories of the day. The rest is 15 minutes on the latest diets and medical news, or a feel good story. There is no time to cover ongoing, long term trends. That is why I gave up watching the network news years ago.

CNN covered the illegal immigration issue as long as Lou Dobbs was there. Fox does cover it, MSNBC, in keeping with its liberal slant on everything, does not.

The major establishment papers on the whole have not covered it with a few exceptions for a couple of reasons. Number One, with the exception of the Los Angeles Times, they are all northeastern papers and frankly it is something they could not see for themselves on a daily basis, therefore the story does not exist. Number Two, the more important reason, is that the journalists on these papers are all cut out of the same cloth. They went to the same schools, and all have the same cookie cutter liberal/progressive worldview. In that view, there are only 3 groups of people in the world: the oppressors, the victims, and the liberators. Oppressors can only be white males, most everyone else are victims, and there is a small elite of activists who will liberate the victims from the oppressors. In this worldview, they naturally champion and identify with the victims. They see themselves as part of the disinterested, altruistic liberators. When one is so dogmatic, one does not have to think or reason about an issue. Facts don't matter. You fit reality to conform to your worldview. It makes everything so simple and at the same time it gives you a very smug feeling of self-righteousness. This happens on the right as well, but they do not have the power of the media behind them.

Old 05-24-2010, 08:27 PM

20,310 posts, read 18,884,971 times
Agenda , agenda , agenda. Its not PC to report the crimes of illegals. Not is it PC to call them criminals even though each and everyday they commit various crimes. Its better news to make them look like victims.

Old 05-24-2010, 09:36 PM

706 posts, read 796,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Agenda , agenda , agenda. Its not PC to report the crimes of illegals. Not is it PC to call them criminals even though each and everyday they commit various crimes. Its better news to make them look like victims.
I think the answer goes beyond " agenda" We need to dig a little deeper to see just what drives this "agenda" and how does the MSM profit ( key word, here) from this agenda ?

After all, doesn't Fox News have an "agenda " ?

I think it might be a good idea to look at the owners of NBC, CBS, and ABC and find out just what other "holdings" they have in their portfolio...
Any sports franchises? corporations ? newspapers? TV stations?

And how many of these entities have "links" to , or even former or current employees, as members of congress or part of the current or any past administration ?

I'm willing to bet that there are many.....

Money talks.......

JMO.

Old 05-24-2010, 09:39 PM

3,951 posts, read 3,583,040 times
Because it leans to the liberal side.

Old 05-26-2010, 11:48 AM

7,022 posts, read 5,773,713 times
I have my theories but I really would like to know for sure why the mainstream media is so pro-illegal alien when the majority of Americas are not. What does the media gain by supporting these criminals who break our laws? Certainly not readers, since most of the aliens cannot read english and prefer to read their spanish dailies to get news from "back home" (unlike legal immigrants, they don't consider the US to be their real home). It's a mystery to me, I hope somebody can shed some light on this.

Media Covering Up That Majority of Americans Support Arizona’s Illegal Immigration Law, More States Considering Adopting AZ Law
"Arizona continues to be vilified in the press, but more and more Americans support SB1070 law, a crackdown on illegal immigration and a law that mirrors that of the federal government's law… on the books, but largely ignored, for 70 years.

I'm even seeing bias here in Arizona on local evening newscasts. More often than not, these will feature "sad human interest" stories of illegal aliens packing up their belongings to go… not sure where. Maybe Los Angeles or San Francisco… they LOVE illegal aliens in California since they have such a robust economy over there and can easily afford to hand out more millions in welfare entitlements and have a surplus of jobs. *stifling laughter*"

Old 05-26-2010, 12:02 PM

10,713 posts, read 11,414,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
I have my theories but I really would like to know for sure why the mainstream media is so pro-illegal alien when the majority of Americas are not. What does the media gain by supporting these criminals who break our laws? Certainly not readers, since most of the aliens cannot read english and prefer to read their spanish dailies to get news from "back home" (unlike legal immigrants, they don't consider the US to be their real home). It's a mystery to me, I hope somebody can shed some light on this.

Media Covering Up That Majority of Americans Support Arizona’s Illegal Immigration Law, More States Considering Adopting AZ Law
"Arizona continues to be vilified in the press, but more and more Americans support SB1070 law, a crackdown on illegal immigration and a law that mirrors that of the federal government's law… on the books, but largely ignored, for 70 years.

I'm even seeing bias here in Arizona on local evening newscasts. More often than not, these will feature "sad human interest" stories of illegal aliens packing up their belongings to go… not sure where. Maybe Los Angeles or San Francisco… they LOVE illegal aliens in California since they have such a robust economy over there and can easily afford to hand out more millions in welfare entitlements and have a surplus of jobs. *stifling laughter*"

It's pretty much nationwide. Any news segment lately is the "poor little pedro and family" stories, or showing anti arizona protests. Mostly i'm sure because these are "safe" topics. Though these segments are misleading never stating the facts how most americans support the bill, nor the horrible burdens the illegals put on our economy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or