U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-06-2011, 05:53 PM
 
11,894 posts, read 14,359,727 times
Reputation: 7526

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy_Jole View Post
Then explain why people are sued for downloading illegally. After all, they just want to buy a cheaper product.
They are guilty too, they just don't have lobbyists and politicians in their pocket.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-06-2011, 06:06 PM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,146,155 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
I don't advocate hiring illegals at all, in fact, I wish the rules were actually enforced more strictly. Too many ways around the system, and it kills good, honest businesses and leaves us with lower wages. Why would I want that for myself, or my fellow Americans?

None the less, us working folks are going to have to work harder these days as a result. If American business is going to compete globally, they must stand for superior quality and timely output. That means the workers themselves are going to have to step it up and take some pride in what they do.
American workers have to work harder? Why? They aren't working hard enough already? It wouldn't matter how much harder they worked if an employer is hell bent on increasing his profits via cheap, illegal labor he will do so anyway. Where in the world do you get that most Americans don't have any pride in their work or that they are lazy? You can deny it all you want but I smell a pro-illegal on board here.

Many illegals do shoddy work and are lazy. They don't hold the corner of the market on exceptional workers anymore than anyone else does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-06-2011, 06:48 PM
 
1,569 posts, read 1,005,127 times
Reputation: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy_Jole View Post
Then explain why people are sued for downloading illegally. After all, they just want to buy a cheaper product.
Well obviously it's illegal. Would you like to discuss the merits of the modern intellectual property regime?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-06-2011, 08:13 PM
 
Location: Metro Detroit, Michigan
11,920 posts, read 13,249,168 times
Reputation: 12654
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
American workers have to work harder? Why? They aren't working hard enough already? It wouldn't matter how much harder they worked if an employer is hell bent on increasing his profits via cheap, illegal labor he will do so anyway. Where in the world do you get that most Americans don't have any pride in their work or that they are lazy? You can deny it all you want but I smell a pro-illegal on board here.

Many illegals do shoddy work and are lazy. They don't hold the corner of the market on exceptional workers anymore than anyone else does.
I'm talking about competing globally. We are no longer living in the days where unions would keep your wages high and protect you from loosing your job. It is up to the individual now to earn their keep, and yes, your job will be to make your boss rich. Like it or not, that is what employment is all about. If you don't like it, you can go start your own business and see if that's any easier.

And I'm not concerned with what you smell (might I suggest a shower?). Illegals threaten my wage and livelihood, why the hell would I want more of them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-06-2011, 08:48 PM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,146,155 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
I'm talking about competing globally. We are no longer living in the days where unions would keep your wages high and protect you from loosing your job. It is up to the individual now to earn their keep, and yes, your job will be to make your boss rich. Like it or not, that is what employment is all about. If you don't like it, you can go start your own business and see if that's any easier.

And I'm not concerned with what you smell (might I suggest a shower?). Illegals threaten my wage and livelihood, why the hell would I want more of them?
Most Americans do earn their keep on the job. This is the illegal immigration forum so what has that to do with it illegal immigration?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-06-2011, 09:00 PM
 
Location: Metro Detroit, Michigan
11,920 posts, read 13,249,168 times
Reputation: 12654
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Most Americans do earn their keep on the job. This is the illegal immigration forum so what has that to do with it illegal immigration?
I was responding to this, and other things in the OP's thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SitNSnooze View Post
So how do we survive and remain successful?
I don't think this thread was focusing as much on illegal immigration as foreign competition, particularly slave wage countries.

We will not compete with price, only by gaining reputation as the country offering the most efficient and highest quality products/services/whatever. Germany has been doing this for the last century, and still going strong. I think we need to take some notes.

And when it comes to American's earning their keep... Showing up and collecting a paycheck is no longer enough, mostly due to foreign competition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-06-2011, 09:10 PM
 
2,113 posts, read 2,241,612 times
Reputation: 1758
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmadinejad View Post
Well obviously it's illegal. Would you like to discuss the merits of the modern intellectual property regime?
Exactly. Certain acts are legal, and sneaking across the border is one of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-07-2011, 07:37 AM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,146,155 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
I was responding to this, and other things in the OP's thread.



I don't think this thread was focusing as much on illegal immigration as foreign competition, particularly slave wage countries.

We will not compete with price, only by gaining reputation as the country offering the most efficient and highest quality products/services/whatever. Germany has been doing this for the last century, and still going strong. I think we need to take some notes.

And when it comes to American's earning their keep... Showing up and collecting a paycheck is no longer enough, mostly due to foreign competition.
So we are a country known for lower quality, products and services due to the lazy American worker? Is that what you are trying to say? Again, this forum is about illegal immigration not the productivity of the American worker.

Most Americans do not just show up and just collect their paychecks and what has that to do with foreign competititon? What foreign competition? If you are claiming that our goods sold to foreign countries are of lower quality and workmanship due to the lack of American work ethics what has that to do with illegal immigration? Since there are so many illegals working what few factories and manufacturing jobs left in this country, you are then admitting that it is illegals doing shoddy work, not the American worker? Supposedly illegals are saving us a ton of money by working cheaper, yet you say we aren't competitive price wise either?

I don't understand what your argument is here in relation to what this forum is actually about. If you want to argue and claim that the American worker is lazy while denying that you think we need illegal aliens to pick up the slack then you are in the wrong forum.

The person who started this thread is indeed a pro-illegal and was trying to claim that the American worker is inferior to illegal alien workers. Do you agree with that? I mean I have to believe that is your view since you keep claiming that the American worker is lazy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-07-2011, 07:47 AM
 
1,569 posts, read 1,005,127 times
Reputation: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy_Jole View Post
Exactly. Certain acts are legal, and sneaking across the border is one of them.
Re: illegal downloading, he said he doesn't think it's bad, and then you asked "then why is it illegal?"

So the question is not whether it's illegal. It's why.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top