Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 11:57 AM

574 posts, read 1,636,896 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanna
So, based on your statement, the work illegals provide is not of a very high value to any employer, considering the low wages they are paid?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmadinejad View Post
Right
Here is an example of a person not knowing what its occurring around them. Take a minute and look back at the news of this past week regarding the state of Georgia and their recent crackdown on illegal immigrant farm workers. According to the farm owners the crackdown on illegals is causing them to have crops rotting in the field. I'll even save you the problem and provide you a link to the CBS story:

Illegal immigration crackdown impacts harvests - CBS News

As you can see GA farmers think their work is valuable even though they are supposedly paying them low wages.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2011, 12:11 PM

1,569 posts, read 1,208,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbiggs View Post
Here is an example of a person not knowing what its occurring around them. Take a minute and look back at the news of this past week regarding the state of Georgia and their recent crackdown on illegal immigrant farm workers. According to the farm owners the crackdown on illegals is causing them to have crops rotting in the field. I'll even save you the problem and provide you a link to the CBS story:

Illegal immigration crackdown impacts harvests - CBS News

As you can see GA farmers think their work is valuable even though they are supposedly paying them low wages.
How does this contradict what anyone said? When someone says the "value of labor" they are referring to the price an employer is willing to pay, generally. If those farmers wanted to pay $1M per crop picked they could obviously fill those positions, but they value it at much less than that.

Old 07-06-2011, 02:23 PM

29,699 posts, read 24,780,162 times
For any American business trying to compete on the global market, merely surviving depends on offering the highest quality for a reasonable rate. Your never going to beat others on price, that's for sure. This is a high labor cost country, even if you were paying a few bucks over minimum wage. Hell, even Mexico is considered a high labor cost country, so how can we compete in price? Basically by offering the quickest service, and the best. That's about it.

As for the American worker... Those who can't keep up with the pace will not be working for awhile. It's a pretty brutal market right now, and sub par = unemployment. Companies can basically pick and choose and go through hordes of workers until they find the best. I'd have faith that the American worker will adapt and lose the lazy attitude, but some won't. Long term unemployment is going to be a reality for anyone not willing to put forth the effort.

There are a few young guys where I work who are about to get the boot. They have that, "it's not my job" attitude. Both have been unemployed previously for about a year. Maybe this time, since they won't be able to collect unemployment, the reality will sink in. Not having money enough to buy food seems to straighten people out, unless the "social net" catches them.

Old 07-06-2011, 03:46 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,289,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
For any American business trying to compete on the global market, merely surviving depends on offering the highest quality for a reasonable rate. Your never going to beat others on price, that's for sure. This is a high labor cost country, even if you were paying a few bucks over minimum wage. Hell, even Mexico is considered a high labor cost country, so how can we compete in price? Basically by offering the quickest service, and the best. That's about it.

As for the American worker... Those who can't keep up with the pace will not be working for awhile. It's a pretty brutal market right now, and sub par = unemployment. Companies can basically pick and choose and go through hordes of workers until they find the best. I'd have faith that the American worker will adapt and lose the lazy attitude, but some won't. Long term unemployment is going to be a reality for anyone not willing to put forth the effort.

There are a few young guys where I work who are about to get the boot. They have that, "it's not my job" attitude. Both have been unemployed previously for about a year. Maybe this time, since they won't be able to collect unemployment, the reality will sink in. Not having money enough to buy food seems to straighten people out, unless the "social net" catches them.
Is this your way of justifying employers hiring illegal aliens against the laws of this country? I know many American workers who are not lazy. They have either lost their jobs to the cheap, illegal labor or have had their wages cut dramatically for the same reason. Is this the new America? Is this the American Dream for Americans?

Old 07-06-2011, 03:49 PM

23,441 posts, read 17,113,855 times
Default Why?

Unions !

Old 07-06-2011, 03:49 PM

2,112 posts, read 2,692,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Is this your way of justifying employers hiring illegal aliens against the laws of this country? I know many American workers who are not lazy. They have either lost their jobs to the cheap, illegal labor or have had their wages cut dramatically for the same reason. Is this the new America? Is this the American Dream for Americans?
Exactly. And if that's the case, then Americans should have the option of buying pirated, cheaper goods from overseas instead of purchasing items legitimately. Do you think the huge corporations would be in favor of that?

Old 07-06-2011, 04:28 PM

89 posts, read 50,457 times
Quote:
Actually, the American Dream was something largely promoted by and promised to immigrants or potential immigrants to promote immigration to America.

Old 07-06-2011, 04:29 PM

89 posts, read 50,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy_Jole View Post
Exactly. And if that's the case, then Americans should have the option of buying pirated, cheaper goods from overseas instead of purchasing items legitimately. Do you think the huge corporations would be in favor of that?
I don't think this is such a bad thing.

Old 07-06-2011, 05:24 PM

29,699 posts, read 24,780,162 times
Quote:
I don't advocate hiring illegals at all, in fact, I wish the rules were actually enforced more strictly. Too many ways around the system, and it kills good, honest businesses and leaves us with lower wages. Why would I want that for myself, or my fellow Americans?

None the less, us working folks are going to have to work harder these days as a result. If American business is going to compete globally, they must stand for superior quality and timely output. That means the workers themselves are going to have to step it up and take some pride in what they do.

Old 07-06-2011, 05:49 PM

2,112 posts, read 2,692,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEHMarten View Post
I don't think this is such a bad thing.
Then explain why people are sued for downloading illegally. After all, they just want to buy a cheaper product.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration