Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2008, 11:13 AM

1,474 posts, read 2,299,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellie C. View Post

Look at your President Elect. The only child of a single mother, a mixed-race kid, the POTUS? Five years ago people would have laughed in your face if you told them that's who would be president. And now look.
True, and four years ago while listening to him speak I told the wife then, He will be Pres some day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2008, 11:36 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,120,382 times
Quote:
So Convert, what does your wife and daughter think should be done when a child who's undocumented shows up for school? Should the police be called? Or I guess I should ask what do they do when this happens?
I would call the authorities..............if nothing else for the kid's protection.

As for your comment about the Irish coming here: virtually all of 'em did so legally.

Hell; my own father needed a sponsor when he came here in 1951. Had the USA refused him; he likely would have headed to either Argentina or Australia.

Old 11-26-2008, 11:41 AM

50,241 posts, read 46,997,454 times
[quote=Ellie C.;6323168]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post

As a grandchild of immigrants who came through Ellis Island, I have to tell you you're quite wrong there. My grandmother didn't speak a word of English. She fled a revolution in her country with the clothes on her back. She did indeed just "show up". I don't know what she could have possibly done to prove her capability to contribute to anything. She was a teenage refugee, like so many others. She never attended school here, and she never learned to speak English.

Her grandchildren are all college educated, a couple are doctors and lawyers. Six of my immediate family members work for the Department of Justice, and my brother was quite high ranking in the DOJ before he retired. So you see, not every immigrant who just shows up and wants to come into the country is a bad person. Maybe it's the subsequent generations that contribute.

My friend Dan just "showed up" from his country in southeast Asia with $8 in his pocket. He too spoke no English. He went into NYC and got a job washing dishes at a Mister Donut before he had a place to sleep. He now owns three restaurants in Connecticut, after many years of hard work, scrimping and saving everything.

There are thousands of positive stories about good people who come to this country with nothing to make a better life for themselves and their families. They are not all criminals and looking for a free life.

The solution to the immigration problem is not going to come in the form of a wall; it will come from diplomacy and working with the other countries who do not have the ecomonic infrastructure to allow for a decent life for it's citizens.

This is nothing new: in the mid 1800's it was the Irish. All the arguments were the same: they're a drain on our economy, they're criminals, they're taking our jobs, etc. Someday it will be another group and it will start all over again. It's been a problem for almost 200 years, so don't look for it to go away anytime soon, I'm afraid.
I can drive through Escondido and show you 500 that snuck across and are abusing the system in one form or other for every one you can show me that became quickly successful. It's not even close.

And you even pointed out that the first gen are a burden even if the 2nd might not be. It should be just like others have stated. You need to be able to prove you won't be a burden on Society.

Old 11-26-2008, 06:11 PM

425 posts, read 1,092,977 times
Guys guys guys - for the 100th time - I am not pro-illegal. The only bend I have on that is for the kids, who don't ask to be dragged here with their parents. If you're working here illegally, the DHS should go after the employer as well as the employee.

My family came here legally. Dirt poor, but legally.

You've got to feel sorry for the kids. Honestly, I do feel sorry for people, and I understand why they come running across the border in the middle of the night, but I'm not in any way saying it's right.

Seeing the kids in Laredo broke my heart. Running like hell to get to school, when many American kids would just assume be running away from school.

1ATP - believe me, there are tons of Irish who came here illegally. There's a neighborhood in Queens called Woodside that used to be filled with them, and not 50 years ago. It was back in the 80s.

Old 11-26-2008, 06:51 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,421,922 times
Quote:
Ha! Definitely not Ellie Mae...

I didn't use "anti-" anything as a quote, but if I think if you or anyone else is inclined to go and read a history of the person in question's posts, there is a clear pattern. Ones regarding a border fence can only be referring to Mexico, and are therefore anti-Mexican by default. Look at the history, and not just on this topic.

My true colors are pretty easy to see. It boils down to this: broad sweeping generalizations about any one nationality or race is wrong. If I see someone calling members of one nationality or race names like "maggot" "wilderbeast (SIC)" "rapist" "pedophile", and so forth, it gets to me. There are criminals in every society. There are good people in every society.

I am not "pro-illegal immigration". Quite the opposite. This post is about allowing children here illegally to attend school. My position was that if they're here, we should allow them to be educated because it only serves our best interests in the long run. My call was for compassion for children.

The system is broken, for sure. But please go back and read what I wrote about WHY I feel it's a mistake to exclude children from the public school system if they wish to attend. I know it costs money, but I think if you don't spend money educating a child now you will most certainly spend it housing them as a prisoner later, or worse defending yourself against someone who has been convinced to retaliate as a terrorist for the ills that their society has brought against them. It's the very bait that young men are lured into terrorist training camps with, and I see the potential for it happening right in our own backyard instead of over in Afghanistan.

It's a fact that the vast majority of the prison population and crimes committed are by people who have little or no education. So until the immigration problem is fixed (if ever), why perpetuate this by refusing to educate these children, who are really just innocent victims of circumstance?

False accusation is indeed a sin (which I don't believe was committed here); so is turning your back on children and the less fortunate. There is far more scripture of Jesus directly saying not turn your back on the poor and less fortunate than there is about anything else. I'm not a religious person but I do know that much.
Do Not assume that when someone mentions the border, that they're automatically referring to Mexico.
There are many other countries in South/Central America, which is south of the US border and there are Illegals immigrants living in the US from most everyone of those countries.
Unless a specific race is named, the default for south of the border is"illegal immigrants". Now if your defaults are any different, I suggest you keep it to yourself beause your assumptions are about to reach the definition of "race baiting". If your against illegal immigration as you say, we wouldn't want to report you for violating the TOS of this forum.

Old 11-26-2008, 07:15 PM

3,536 posts, read 5,905,198 times
In Santa Barbara, every summer there are about 500-1,000 Irish kids that come here. About 1/3 stay ILLEGALLY. They simply don't return home. The streets of Isla Vista are filled with Irish flags...4th of July is celebrated with red, blue, orange, green, and white. It's a little easier to be illegal and Anglo.

Theimpact of not educating illegals is a significant portion of the $49 billion that only the state of CA pays for it's not high school educated population. To increase education, it would be less than $49 billion for better schools (more classrooms, after school aid, more vocational programs, more IB/AP, higher teacher salaries to retain teachers in poor areas). Also, look at the fact that areas with high illegal concentrations are typically where poor Americans live. Studies have shown that there is a correlation between spending and school quality. Inner city poor schools with higher funding will typically perform better than those with lower funding...given that they have the same demographics. This is simply because there are more options available. So there is more latitude for development.

Yes, the first generation lacks the skills, but the larger second and third generation speak English. They are more assimilated. So if we can reach out to them, there would be a decrease reliance on welfare and increased tax revenue.

I agree that there needs to be something done with illegal immigration. I propose that there is greater oversight in hiring practices on farms. Also programs to ease legal enterance. It takes a long time to become a legal citizen. In Ivory Coast, my mother's country, the American Embassy simply shut its doors to those seeking to flee the country during its civil war. They wanted to be free.

Third world politics isn't as easy as saying why can't they be rich. Obviously all nations want to be rich. However, we in the first world don't know how we aid in corruption, exploitation, and sometimes nation destruction. Mexico is bombarded by our war on drugs as well as corrupt business practices by American corporations. There is some interest for some rich Americans and some rich Mexicans to continue on the status quo. Middle class Americans buy cheap products without consequence. Afterall it's not our responsibility to make sure that plants in Mexico don't contanimate the drinking supply. We don't the responsibility of making sure of fair hiring practices and pay. We simply buy the products. Behinds the scenes is corruption, lies, and scandals. American interests in Mexico is not always altruistic. We messed up some things too.

Why would we want to mess up our own nation by creating a third world social structure of the haves and have nots? We have the choice here in America to teach and aid our nation's poor regardless of creed, race, religion, and nationality. So yes, in addition to placing more emphasis on legal immigration we should stop the current trend towards becoming a third world nation by educating our disenfranchised masses

Old 11-26-2008, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
Do Not assume that when someone mentions the border, that they're automatically referring to Mexico.
There are many other countries in South/Central America, which is south of the US border and there are Illegals immigrants living in the US from most everyone of those countries.
Unless a specific race is named, the default for south of the border is"illegal immigrants". Now if your defaults are any different, I suggest you keep it to yourself beause your assumptions are about to reach the definition of "race baiting". If your against illegal immigration as you say, we wouldn't want to report you for violating the TOS of this forum.
We only have a border with Mexico and Canada. So when a person mentions the border they mean from Mexico...since there is not too many illegals from Canada.

Old 11-26-2008, 07:29 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,421,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
We only have a border with Mexico and Canada. So when a person mentions the border they mean from Mexico...since there is not too many illegals from Canada.
Like I said, if it's not specified, don't assume. If you do, you'll end up find another forum to challenge......guaranteed.

NEXT

Old 11-26-2008, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
Like I said, if it's not specified, don't assume. If you do, you'll end up find another forum to challenge......guaranteed.

Next,
I KNOW that they ARE from Mexico...since they CROSSED the Mexican border...this is different from saying that they ARE MEXICAN. You can cross the border and be another nationality, but coming FROM Mexico.

Old 11-26-2008, 09:51 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,911,827 times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration