Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2010, 04:43 PM

4,875 posts, read 10,072,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayarcy View Post
<<But leaving children behind for any reason is unbelieveable to me. >>

Foreign countries have schools. Maybe not as good as those in the US, and maybe not free, but their students do get into colleges, and universities.
One one hand, foreign countries may have schools that aren't as high of a quality, and/or those countries do not enforce school attendance, so the kids may not get schooling as they are needed to work, etc.

On the other hand, in many of those countries students still have respect for teachers etc. - American schools often have a cultural problem where students do not respect teachers.

David Horowitz and Bilingual Education

Quote:
My students from Mexico were by and large much better behaved than the American students - in fact, I could measurably see them deteriorate as they became "Americanized" and start listening to rap music, pick up the culture of the streets, etc. I taught with a Mexican teacher and he had nothing but contempt for the lack of respect for teachers (and authority in general) in American schools.
and

Quote:
Many teachers actually gravitated towards the ESL classes because the kids still had that Latino respect for teachers. The kids might not have been the best prepared academically, but they didn't give you the middle finger constantly like so many regular English students.
As for the idea of teachers conspiring to deport students, Richard Geib has this to say: Propositions 209 and 187 and a Public School Teacher

Quote:
And they wanted me as a school teacher to help deport my students out of the country? There was a reason why I became a teacher and not a border patrolman. It was going to be a cold day in hell before I turned one of my students over to immigration authorities. I had no problem with the Immigration and Naturalization Service doing their job and expelling people from the country who were here illegally, but the schools are not the place to do that.
In regards to this: JDubsMom said:
Quote:
Agreed. A vast majority of gang members are anchor babies, aka citizens by default who otherwise would not be eligible for citizenship due to their extensive rap sheets
Jayarcy said in response:
Quote:
Try the Los Angeles Police Department.
I suspect you two got this from a chain e-mail like the one dissected in this document: snopes.com: Just One State - Cost of Illegals in Los Angeles

Snopes said: Heather MacDonald's testimony refers to one California study of one gang. The Mikkelsons of Snopes said that this gang, the 18th Street Gang, is likely the one with the highest membership rate of illegals

Please don't reference chain e-mails as sources.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2010, 01:21 PM

1 posts, read 874 times
that sounds very smart, except for the fact that not all of them are from Mexico, that they are the people working the fields in the United States providing us with food, and that most of their kids are US citizens, and the kids that are not, are hard working individuals who are in college providing research for this country and all they want is an opportunity to succeed but thanks to comments like this they feel threatened give them a break, give ME a break.

Old 10-26-2010, 01:54 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,318,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omar_hobbton_2010 View Post
that sounds very smart, except for the fact that not all of them are from Mexico, that they are the people working the fields in the United States providing us with food, and that most of their kids are US citizens, and the kids that are not, are hard working individuals who are in college providing research for this country and all they want is an opportunity to succeed but thanks to comments like this they feel threatened give them a break, give ME a break.
Only a very small percentage of illegal aliens are working the fields. The vast majority of them have taken other jobs from Americans by working for less. If you think we'd all starve without illegal labor working the fields you don't know what you are talking about. We have unlimited visas for legal migrant workers for those jobs. The farmers hire illegals to increase their profits instead. More and more agricultural jobs are being mechanized anyway.

It is silly to stereotype any group as all hard workers. That simply isn't true. There are lazy, welfare dependent people in every group. Their desire to succeed does not obligate us to accomodate them. We have quotas on legal immigration for good reasons. If they miss the cut they will have to find another way to create a better life for themselves and that doesn't include coming here illegally anyway. Our only obligation is to our own citizens. They are the ones that deserve a break not those who thumb their noses at our immigration laws.

Old 10-26-2010, 02:10 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,429,775 times
Quote:
Another one without the slightest idea about illegal immigration, let alone what's going on with this country.

Old 10-26-2010, 02:13 PM

3,854 posts, read 4,835,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
Another one without the slightest idea about illegal immigration, let alone this country.
Maybe not, but I guess the Supreme Court is another of those groups since they ruled to allow all children access to a free education, even those not citizens to this country.

Old 10-26-2010, 02:17 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,841,462 times
Quote:
Even those supporting the Dream Act admit there are approximately 65 THOUSAND undocumented teens graduating high school in this country per YEAR.

So save me your platitudes.

Old 10-26-2010, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
Even those supporting the Dream Act admit there are approximately 65 THOUSAND undocumented teens graduating high school in this country per YEAR.

So save me your platitudes.
and 65k educated teens means what?...

Old 10-26-2010, 02:22 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,429,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post
Maybe not, but I guess the Supreme Court is another of those groups since they ruled to allow all children access to a free education, even those not citizens to this country.
Other than just trying provoke an arguement, what in the hell does any of that have to do with what I responded to?

Old 10-26-2010, 02:26 PM

3,484 posts, read 2,871,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post
and 65k educated teens means what?...
Billions spent by American taxpayers to educate foreign nationals who aren't supposed to be here? Money spent educating people who can't hold jobs legally? Who demand access to services they don't pay for?

Americans aren't responsible for the needs, dreams and aspirations of every single person in the entire world. To make demands that we should just because you've crossed our border in violation of our laws is ridiculous.

Old 10-26-2010, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
Billions spent by American taxpayers to educate foreign nationals who aren't supposed to be here? Money spent educating people who can't hold jobs legally? Who demand access to services they don't pay for?

Americans aren't responsible for the needs, dreams and aspirations of every single person in the entire world. To make demands that we should just because you've crossed our border in violation of our laws is ridiculous.
the Supreme Court says YOU are!!!! and Federal Law says you are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration