U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which choice is worse for America?
Outsource to foreign country 11 47.83%
Hire illegal immigrants 12 52.17%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 11:32 PM

19 posts, read 12,885 times

Advertisements

It's a recession, and the fact is that companies are looking to cut costs. A company needs to get a certain task done and it can either A) hire illegal labor with fake SS cards at $10 an hour or B) outsource the project to a poor Asian country.

Which choice is worse for America and why? Please back it up and tell me what specifically goes into your value judgement. US economy, social programs, crime, culture degradation, world economy, rule of law is the rule of law because of the rule of law, whatever is your criteria. There may or may not be a right answer to this, I honestly don't know.

Assume the benefits for the company to be neutral for it gets the task completed either way with the same overall costs and quality. If that's a BS assumption, which it may be, and it completely blows your mind to the point of not allowing you to answer hypotheticals, tell me why and back it up.

Both of these are happening today, so it shouldn't be too foreign of a hypothetical to reason out. Also, if you think the company is evil and greedy and blah, blah, blah, you could be right. But still let me know which is the lesser of two evils that this evil company could choose.

Also if you are of the more optimistic ilk and prefer to look on the bright side of the issues and to answer it as "Which is better for America", then go ahead. Who am I to stop you from wearing those rosie specs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2011, 11:59 PM

2,176 posts, read 865,799 times
Don't give the illegals anything. Just give them ride back to Mexico.

Old 07-01-2011, 12:11 AM

15,088 posts, read 16,952,304 times
Neither.

[what next: cut-off left arm vs. cut-off right arm?]

Old 07-01-2011, 02:41 AM

47,576 posts, read 58,761,562 times
How could bringing an impoverished class into the USA and paying dirt wages without job benefits and refusing to hire Americans be beneficial in any way?

It costs the American taxpayer a lot of taxes to provide the free health care, the free schools with free lunches, housing and so on for all this cheap labor. Outsourcing at least doesn't put the burden on providing services on our taxpayers but also if it's all about cheap labor, the labor is cheaper if outsourced because the costs of living in the USA are much higher than in other countries.

However also there are the societal costs of divided families when bringing in cheap peons to leave their children and families to come here. What becomes of the fatherless and parentless children who are left to grow up without parents in the home because the parents are living 3000 miles away?

Old 07-01-2011, 08:11 AM

19 posts, read 12,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VoltronFlyer View Post
Can you please explain what culture degradation means so I can properly evaluate the question? Thanks.
I have no clue, I just have read that it's a big concern in other threads and threw it in as an example.

Old 07-01-2011, 08:18 AM

1,421 posts, read 1,239,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BannedInTheUSA View Post
It's a recession, and the fact is that companies are looking to cut costs. A company needs to get a certain task done and it can either A) hire illegal labor with fake SS cards at $10 an hour or B) outsource the project to a poor Asian country.

Which choice is worse for America and why? Please back it up and tell me what specifically goes into your value judgement. US economy, social programs, crime, culture degradation, world economy, rule of law is the rule of law because of the rule of law, whatever is your criteria. There may or may not be a right answer to this, I honestly don't know.

Assume the benefits for the company to be neutral for it gets the task completed either way with the same overall costs and quality. If that's a BS assumption, which it may be, and it completely blows your mind to the point of not allowing you to answer hypotheticals, tell me why and back it up.

Both of these are happening today, so it shouldn't be too foreign of a hypothetical to reason out. Also, if you think the company is evil and greedy and blah, blah, blah, you could be right. But still let me know which is the lesser of two evils that this evil company could choose.

Also if you are of the more optimistic ilk and prefer to look on the bright side of the issues and to answer it as "Which is better for America", then go ahead. Who am I to stop you from wearing those rosie specs.
Many people would be HAPPY working for 10 an hour LEGALLY so your poll is a fail. Especialy when unemployment checks ends.

Old 07-01-2011, 08:30 AM

9,243 posts, read 7,104,934 times
You forgot to add Option "C" both are worse.

Old 07-01-2011, 08:35 AM

14,307 posts, read 11,158,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BannedInTheUSA View Post

For one, outsourcing isn't against the law, hiring illegal aliens is. However, both are negatively impacting American jobs. At least with outsourcing we aren't having to cover the foreign worker's social costs and they aren't using our schools, jails and hospitals and adding to our crime rates and they aren't using stolen ID's and SS numbers.

I think it is you that is wearing the rose colored spectacles if you think that illegal immigration isn't more harmful overall than outsourcing.

Old 07-01-2011, 08:36 AM

1,569 posts, read 1,006,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post

Old 07-01-2011, 08:45 AM

2,113 posts, read 2,244,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
True, but I'd say that outsourcing is the lesser of the two evils. Like chicagonut said, we wouldn't have criminals living among us, abusing our social services and burdening taxpayers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration