U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 03:20 PM

1,770 posts, read 2,534,579 times

Advertisements

I just don't understand how people can actually be ok with people coming here illegally, taking handouts and jobs from Americans.

Here's the thing: Why is it so hard to ask these people to come here legally? Is it REALLY asking too much?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2011, 03:24 PM

89 posts, read 39,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h0tmess View Post
I just don't understand how people can actually be ok with people coming here illegally, taking handouts and jobs from Americans.

Here's the thing: Why is it so hard to ask these people to come here legally? Is it REALLY asking too much?
I guess you've missed that due to ridiculous and counterproductive restrictions on immigration, it's impossible for many of these people to move here legally. I don't really want people to come here illegally either. I'd rather it were possible for them to live the American dream legally.

Old 07-06-2011, 03:24 PM

1,574 posts, read 789,250 times
Quote:
Americans own those jobs?

A guy just moved to my town from the other side of the state. He's set up a tree-trimming business. Is he "taking jobs" from the other guy in town that was already doing this?

Quote:
You tell me. It's currently impossible for these people to come here legally.

But seriously, are you telling me you'd be ok with "these people" "taking jobs from americans" if they did come here legally? I mean which is it?

Old 07-06-2011, 03:29 PM

19,899 posts, read 15,291,186 times
Two wrongs also don't make a right. Because some do not agree with our laws, is no way a justification to also break and take advantage of our laws. As Americans, we could not get away with this in other Countries, there would be no justification if we did.

Old 07-06-2011, 03:29 PM

First, I don't understand how it's impossible for them to migrate here legally?

Secondly, no if someone starts their own business that's usually a big reason immigrants come to America for oppertunity.

And lastly, the real problem I have with the whole illegal thing is that we ACTUALLY give them handouts. Is it really ok for them to come here and live off of our tax dollars?

No, don't even answer it. Go hug a tree. I'm pretty liberal myself, but some of you really must be so smug you love the smell of your own farts.

Old 07-06-2011, 03:33 PM

1,574 posts, read 789,250 times
Quote:

Quote:
Secondly, no if someone starts their own business that's usually a big reason immigrants come to America for oppertunity.
So what's the difference between a guy from somewhere else offering to trim my trees for less and... a guy from somewhere else offering to mow my yard for less?

Quote:
And lastly, the real problem I have with the whole illegal thing is that we ACTUALLY give them handouts. Is it really ok for them to come here and live off of our tax dollars?
That sounds like a problem with welfare systems. Is it fair to violently interfere in my business affairs because you can't figure out how to give away money without the "wrong" people picking it up?

Quote:
No, don't even answer it. Go hug a tree. I'm pretty liberal myself, but some of you really must be so smug you love the smell of your own farts.
wow.

Old 07-06-2011, 03:36 PM

89 posts, read 39,370 times
Quote:

It is virtually impossible for an unskilled, and even for many skilled Mexican person without immediate family in the US to immigrate here legally. That's it. That's the law. The primary paths for legal immigration are one, having immediate family here,two, the diversity visa lottery for which Mexicans are ineligible, three, being a millionaire, and four, being a highly skilled worker that is so high in demand that a potential employer is willing to do a ton of paperwork to get you here. Most Mexicans without family here have no chance to "get in line." There's no line for them to get in. We've blocked that all off.

Old 07-06-2011, 03:41 PM

So... if you have nothing to contribute to this society, why sould we let them? It's funny that you left the "unskilled" part out at first.
So it's easy to migrate here legally, provided you are not looking to mooch and leech off of the government.

Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Old 07-06-2011, 03:44 PM

2,113 posts, read 2,242,105 times
Quote:

We welcome 1+ million legal immigrants each year. It's not that hard, but there will be those who disregard the rules and act like they are above the law. Those are the people who are not welcome here.

Old 07-06-2011, 03:59 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,813,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEHMarten View Post
It is virtually impossible for an unskilled, and even for many skilled Mexican person without immediate family in the US to immigrate here legally. That's it. That's the law. The primary paths for legal immigration are one, having immediate family here,two, the diversity visa lottery for which Mexicans are ineligible, three, being a millionaire, and four, being a highly skilled worker that is so high in demand that a potential employer is willing to do a ton of paperwork to get you here. Most Mexicans without family here have no chance to "get in line." There's no line for them to get in. We've blocked that all off.
What is your obsession with Mexicans? If Mexicans do not qualify for visas, they must accept our decision, and move on. We have no legal or moral obligation to grant visas to every Mexican who wishes to live or work in this country. This is beyond ridiculous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration