U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 05:09 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,816,809 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhymetime View Post
unskilled != "nothing to contribute".

Do you think those americans that are losing their jobs to these immigrants contribute nothing to society?
Do you actually not comprehend the difference between importing unskilled/uneducated workers, and employing our own? We donít need to import poverty. In other words, they have nothing to offer this country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2011, 05:20 PM

11,897 posts, read 14,368,392 times
The argument for the dream act is the children had no choice in the matter. In many cases they never really knew their native land. Yes their parents committed an illegal act, but punishing them, if they are still alive and in the US, is another issue.

Old 07-06-2011, 05:27 PM

89 posts, read 39,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
As long as the Mexican is legal, and has not displaced a qualified U.S. citizen, I have no problem. Why should I?
But, you've also said things to the effect of hiring any legal Mexican immigrant displaces a US citizen. So, it seems like you have a problem with it.

Old 07-06-2011, 05:47 PM

2,113 posts, read 2,242,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
The argument for the dream act is the children had no choice in the matter. In many cases they never really knew their native land. Yes their parents committed an illegal act, but punishing them, if they are still alive and in the US, is another issue.
So the alternative is punishing our parents and our children. Is that better?

Old 07-06-2011, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEHMarten View Post
But, you've also said things to the effect of hiring any legal Mexican immigrant displaces a US citizen. So, it seems like you have a problem with it.
Please quote me. I do not recall ever making such a comment. I said as long as a legal immigrant does not displace a qualified citizen, I have no problem.

Old 07-06-2011, 05:59 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,152,437 times
Quote:
How is sending them and their parents back to their natural homeland, punishment? I view it as not rewarding their parents for committing an illegal act. Most of these so-called kids already know the language of their native homeland and have been practicing the culture of their homeland since birth.

Last edited by chicagonut; 07-06-2011 at 06:08 PM..

Old 07-06-2011, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Youíre right. Most, but not all, were brought to this country as children by their parents. Itís unfortunate, but their parents created this dilemma, and it is they who should be held accountable.

Why should we reward the children of illegal aliens, yet we do not reward the children of citizens who violate our laws? Furthermore, many Dreamies are already making plans to leave, and either return to their countries of origin, or relocate to another country. After all, they are no longer children, they are adults. They will adapt to their new environment.

Old 07-06-2011, 06:51 PM

1,569 posts, read 1,005,771 times
Quote:
Why should we reward the children of illegal aliens, yet we do not reward the children of citizens who violate our laws?
? We don't charge the children of murderers with murder, just like we don't charge the children of illegal immigrants with illegally immigrating. Did you think about this for more than three seconds?

Old 07-06-2011, 06:54 PM

23,603 posts, read 31,161,722 times
I'm sick of hearing that immigrating here is difficult. If you qualify, it is not difficult at all. It can be lengthy with a lot of paperwork, but it's not actually hard. You just have to have a room temperature IQ and some patience. You don't even need a lawyer. Been there and done it...got my ex-husband a green card here (when he was still my husband) and it was a piece of cake. Really. It took about a year but the process can be completed in less time. I've seen it happen in six months. I've also seen it take 2-3 years. It depends on various factors, including the location of the application (US vs overseas) and the home country of the applicant (applicants from countries with high rates of illegal immigration and/or visa fraud take longer to process). That being said, I've heard from other people that sponsoring their Mexican spouse took 3-6 months. I've heard from still others that sponsoring their Mexican spouse took 12-16 months. The longest app I ever heard of that was ultimately approved was a woman sponsoring a Jordanian spouse. Their application took three years to process because he had the same name as a known terrorist, apparently, and it took the US government a while to complete his background check.

The hard part is qualifying to immigrate here in the first place. The actual process is easy. I don't see any reason why we should relax our standards, either. If anything we should tighten them.

Old 07-06-2011, 06:58 PM

89 posts, read 39,389 times
Quote:
Please quote me. I do not recall ever making such a comment. I said as long as a legal immigrant does not displace a qualified citizen, I have no problem.
OK, let's start with this: under what circumstances does a legal immigrant who takes a job when he or she gets here NOT take a job from a US citizen?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration