U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2011, 12:41 PM

1,569 posts, read 1,008,721 times

Advertisements

...you think that was an admission that my Dad's company hires illegal immigrants?

That's um...that's a fascinating interpretation.

Old 07-06-2011, 12:42 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,857,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmadinejad View Post
Still not paying attention, apparently. Any and all contractors would benefit from more affordable labor if there was more labor competition. Even if they don't hire illegals omg economics.
There is absolutely NO shortage of qualified construction workers. If so, then please explain why the wages have steadily declined during the past decade. Supply and demand. . . ECON 101.

Old 07-06-2011, 12:44 PM

89 posts, read 39,591 times
That red passage sounds to me like Rock's dad wants to hire more legal immigrants, but because of the current restrictions on immigration, there aren't as many for him to hire.

Old 07-06-2011, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
There is absolutely NO shortage of qualified construction workers. If so, then please explain why the wages have steadily declined during the past decade. Supply and demand. . . ECON 101.
More supply = ?

It's not a trick.

Old 07-06-2011, 12:51 PM

Quote:
...you think that was an admission that my Dad's company hires illegal immigrants?

That's um...that's a fascinating interpretation.
All of the backtracking in the world will not make a difference. If your dad does not employ cheap labor from Mexico, why did you respond as if he did? After all, if he doesn’t employ cheap labor from Mexico, the competition would have a negative impact on his business. Right?

In any case, this discussion is pointless.

Old 07-06-2011, 12:54 PM

Quote:
More supply = ?

It's not a trick.
Common sense dictates if we have a glut of workers (which we do), the wages will be lower (which they are). Conversely, if the demand is great, and the supply is low, employers MUST pay more.

Old 07-06-2011, 12:55 PM

Quote:
All of the backtracking in the world will not make a difference. If your dad does not employ cheap labor from Mexico, why did you respond as if he did? After all, if he doesn’t employ cheap labor from Mexico, the competition would have a negative impact on his business. Right?

I didn't respond as if he did. At least one other person here is capable of reading, and has correctly interpreted my statement. You got carried away in a fit of illegal alien induced rage and are now pretending that I said something I didn't. You are currently referencing me asking you where I said that, and then saying "that's not what that says" as if it is "backtracking." That's an interesting read on the situation.

I've bolded a sentence of yours just for hilarity, because it makes no sense. Of COURSE the fact that others are willing to hire illegal labor negatively impacts his business. That's part of why I'm saying legalization would benefit him.

Old 07-06-2011, 12:55 PM

Quote:

When I read his statement, I read it as saying that his dad does employ cheap labor from Mexico, and that labor is here legally. Why are you assuming that every cheap laborer from Mexico is here illegally?

Old 07-06-2011, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEHMarten View Post
That red passage sounds to me like Rock's dad wants to hire more legal immigrants, but because of the current restrictions on immigration, there aren't as many for him to hire.
If true, then why did he specify CHEAP labor from Mexico, and not simply labor?

Old 07-06-2011, 01:01 PM

Quote:
If true, then why did he specify CHEAP labor from Mexico, and not simply labor?
A legal immigrant may be willing to do a job for less than the average citizen in the field but for a wage more than or equal to the minimum wage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration