Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 07:14 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,289,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post
Generally, it is the legal immigrants that own restaurants. Generally... it is the illegal immigrant that works in food service. Without those illegal immigrants, yes, you would see a lot of restaurants closing. Is it doable to have legal immigrants or citizens do those jobs? I think we may see some fill those positions but I also see many businesses closing.

It is also a stereotypical to think that illegal immigrants only work in Mexican restaurants. I know of illegals that work in French restaurants, Indian restaurants, Italian restaurants, all-American restaurants, etc.

Off topic but "how hard is it to learn how to cook Mexican food?" Mexican food is not easy to make. That is if you make it from scratch. Most of dishes take hours to make.

I have no doubt that you like your own enchiladas. I highly doubt they are Mexican. We don't cook enchiladas in the oven. We don't use flour tortillas and we definitely don't pour a thick sauce on top or a ton of monterey jack cheese. That would be Americanized food. If this is the type of enchilada you speak of, you have yet to taste REAL authentic Mexican food.

If you find yourself in a restaurant that serves only a combination of ingredients, you are most likely eating at a Mexican Americanzed restaurant. Mexican food is very diverse. Some excellent dishes that have nothing in common except for great taste are cochinita pibil, pozole, mole con arroz, menudo, cockle de camarones, gorditas, tamales, corundas, tinga, birria, etc. None of it is a combination of things. Staple food consists of beans and corn. Corn is used to make a variety of foods. None of these taste the same or are a combination of the somethings.

As a matter of fact, Mexican food was named by the UNESCO World Heritage as a cultural gift to humanity.

Read more: Mexican cuisine among traditions recognized by UNESCO
It doesn't matter if these restaurants are legal immigrant owned or citizen owned they still learned how to cook Mexican food from their Mexican roots. I am not talking about chain restaurants like El Torito or Taco Bell. As for my enchildas I neither use flour tortillas nor do I bake them in the oven. It was a recipe given to me by a Hispanic American and I put my own twist on it.

If those restaurants can't survive without illegal alien labor then they need to cease to exist. I doubt very much with at least 25 million Hispanic Americans in this country we wouldn't have any authentic Mexican restaurants. I never made the claim that all illegal Mexicans are working restaurants. We all know they are all over the spectrum of the job market and that is why we anti's are complaining they are taking jobs that Americans will do.

You cannot deny that most Mexican dishes are based on some type of meat or fish along with tortillas, beans and rice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2011, 05:30 AM

2,381 posts, read 5,035,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
It doesn't matter if these restaurants are legal immigrant owned or citizen owned they still learned how to cook Mexican food from their Mexican roots. I am not talking about chain restaurants like El Torito or Taco Bell. As for my enchildas I neither use flour tortillas nor do I bake them in the oven. It was a recipe given to me by a Hispanic American and I put my own twist on it.
I'll have to disagree with you about Hispanic Americans can cook like Mexicans. Here is an individual case but I would argue most don't. Furthermore, if you decided to do a "twist" on your enchilada, what makes you think Hispanic Americans don't? By the time the recipe reached you who knows how many changes it had. Mexicans like authenticity and they can stop it miles away. In a country where over 50% out of the 50 million Latinos are Mexican, I'm willing to bet those businesses will never make it.

Quote:
Growing up, my idea of what a taco looked like was a hard shell, meat filling, lettuce, tomato and cheese. My wife would have none of that. For her, a taco is a small corn tortilla with meat, onions, and cilantro. Anything else is uncivilized.
Facing a cultural divide in my mixed marriage - CNN.com

Quote:
If those restaurants can't survive without illegal alien labor then they need to cease to exist. I doubt very much with at least 25 million Hispanic Americans in this country we wouldn't have any authentic Mexican restaurants. I never made the claim that all illegal Mexicans are working restaurants. We all know they are all over the spectrum of the job market and that is why we anti's are complaining they are taking jobs that Americans will do.
And this is where our government disagrees with people like you. They understand that small business are part of the economy and that kind of decision that strongly impact our economy.

Quote:
You cannot deny that most Mexican dishes are based on some type of meat or fish along with tortillas, beans and rice.
You should really visit Mexico one day. You'll be surprised how diverse our cuisine is. In the mean time, the article I provided you has plenty of info.

Old 07-09-2011, 07:24 AM

403 posts, read 333,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Exactly. Dallas has a chain of Mexican restaurants (El Fenix) that has operated for close to 100 years, and tons of other mom and pop places owned by people who were *gasp* born here.
50 bucks says many of their cooks are illegal.

Old 07-09-2011, 07:38 AM

Quote:
I'll have to disagree with you about Hispanic Americans can cook like Mexicans. Here is an individual case but I would argue most don't. Furthermore, if you decided to do a "twist" on your enchilada, what makes you think Hispanic Americans don't? By the time the recipe reached you who knows how many changes it had. Mexicans like authenticity and they can stop it miles away. In a country where over 50% out of the 50 million Latinos are Mexican, I'm willing to bet those businesses will never make it.

Facing a cultural divide in my mixed marriage - CNN.com

And this is where our government disagrees with people like you. They understand that small business are part of the economy and that kind of decision that strongly impact our economy.

You should really visit Mexico one day. You'll be surprised how diverse our cuisine is. In the mean time, the article I provided you has plenty of info.
You can't be serious that with at least 25 million Hispanic Americans in this country most of whom are from Mexican ancestry that none of them can cook authentic Mexican food. It takes an illegal from Mexico to be able to do that?

Of course our government knows that small businesses help our economy but they didn't make immigration laws so that they can be abused. I doubt that most Hispanic businesses are run by illegal aliens just that they hire them. There are enough Hispanic Americans that would work in those businesses? You are grasping at straws now.

Old 07-09-2011, 08:30 AM

2,381 posts, read 5,035,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
You can't be serious that with at least 25 million Hispanic Americans in this country most of whom are from Mexican ancestry that none of them can cook authentic Mexican food. It takes an illegal from Mexico to be able to do that?

Of course our government knows that small businesses help our economy but they didn't make immigration laws so that they can be abused. I doubt that most Hispanic businesses are run by illegal aliens just that they hire them. There are enough Hispanic Americans that would work in those businesses? You are grasping at straws now.
I never said that only illegals can cook. Generally, those that take food service jobs are illegal. If you speak of Mexican Americans born and raised here, most would not take those kinds of jobs.

In the bold: So now they are hired but they are not responsible serving you a hot plate? Wow... You can open a business but if you don't have the manpower your business will not succeed.

I'm done with this conversation. Illegals do work in food service... period.

Old 07-09-2011, 09:33 AM

Quote:
I never said that only illegals can cook. Generally, those that take food service jobs are illegal. If you speak of Mexican Americans born and raised here, most would not take those kinds of jobs.

In the bold: So now they are hired but they are not responsible serving you a hot plate? Wow... You can open a business but if you don't have the manpower your business will not succeed.

I'm done with this conversation. Illegals do work in food service... period.
I never said that illegals don't work in food service. In fact those are the kinds of jobs that most Americans will do and illegals have taken them. Now you say that Hispanic Americans won't do those jobs? Yet non-hispanics get accused of being too lazy to do those types of jobs?

You implied that there is no authentic Mexican food being cooked in the U.S. by Mexican-Americans and I find that to be a bizarre statement to make. I know of Mexican-American families that have passed down their tamale recipes for generations with their ancestors of course having originated in Mexico.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration