U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2011, 11:33 AM

4,070 posts, read 4,964,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Illegals aren't the backbone of anything valid.
One poster so far had to try the race card. The fact that I saw at least 2 people interviewed who had hispanic surnames would indicate that it was not race motivated. And this is exactly what our law enforcement should be doing. Raiding places of business who are knowingly violating the law. As we saw by the lines Americans are willing to work.
That's true. Illegals are more like the backbone of gangs and drug trafficking. Pro illegals seem to like to indulge in the lie that illegals are a hardworking lot that 'do all of the jobs that americans won't do.' They conveniently ignore all of the legal citizens, whether native or migrant that would gladly take those jobs. What illegals really do is take those jobs away from the many legal citizens that are willing to do them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2011, 11:38 AM

1,569 posts, read 1,005,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Overstaying a visa is also a deportable crime.
OK champ.

Old 08-27-2011, 12:49 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,809,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
In bold.
All men are created equal. But not all have an equal right to my property. Not all have an equal right to live in this country, and certainly none have the right to pick and chose which laws they are willing to obey. None have the right to use my ID. None have the right to not pay the taxes imposed on everyone else and certainly none have the right to escape accountability when caught.
Exactly!

Old 08-27-2011, 12:57 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,809,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmadinejad View Post
I cannot allow the crime/civil offense distinction to go unheeded any longer. Not all illegal immigrants are criminals.
The last time I checked, illegal entry, ID theft, fraud, and tax evasion are all crimes. Name one illegal who isn’t guilty of at least one of the aforementioned crimes. Other than “some” minor children, ALL illegal aliens are criminals.

Old 08-27-2011, 01:05 PM

5,302 posts, read 4,010,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Overstaying a visa is also a deportable crime.
It isn´t a crime, and isn´t necessarily a deportable offense...

If someone overstays a visa, and later marries a U.S. citizen applying for an I-601 waiver, they don´t even have to leave the country as part of the process...

Old 08-27-2011, 01:09 PM

5,302 posts, read 4,010,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
...Other than “some” minor children, ALL illegal aliens are criminals.
Because you want to call them ¨criminals¨ doesn´t make them one...

Old 08-27-2011, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
The last time I checked, illegal entry, ID theft, fraud, and tax evasion are all crimes. Name one illegal who isn’t guilty of at least one of the aforementioned crimes. Other than “some” minor children, ALL illegal aliens are criminals.
lol "name one."

As I said, overstaying your visa is not necessarily a crime. Illegal entry can even be a civil offense. zomg.

Old 08-27-2011, 01:44 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,699,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post

If someone overstays a visa, and later marries a U.S. citizen applying for an I-601 waiver, they don´t even have to leave the country as part of the process...
Well of course there are legal loopholes and technicalities, just like with most laws. It depends on the visa they came in on, and how quickly they can get into a green card marriage to avoid deporation.

Like all loopholes, it's not always "fair". One illegal or visa over-stayer might be more marriageable and get to stay, another might not be so lucky and have to go back home. I know one illegal woman would have loved to have found a green card marriage spouse but poor thing - she had been abused back home and had a smashed in face plus she had 4 kids she left behind back home, plus she had real bad arthritis - at age 28, which limited her desire to do housework but also made her walk like a frail 85 year old woman. I never heard whatever became of her but she likely got in on the U visa even though her ex-lover, father of the kids was also here illegally.

But it's like anything - some people just get lucky, some never do.

Old 08-27-2011, 01:49 PM

lol loopholes. It's not a crime.

Old 08-27-2011, 03:35 PM

1,856 posts, read 2,025,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post

Overstaying

• The Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) contains only civil penalties for an immigrant who overstays her visa. This means that immigrants with an expired visa will not be charged criminally or serve time in jail.
Deportation

• The civil proceeding started against an immigrant overstaying his visa is called deportation. An immigrant who is deported will be required to return to his home country.
Return

In addition to deportation, an immigrant who overstays her visa may also become ineligible to obtain another visa. This would prevent her from traveling to the United States in the future.

What Is the Crime of Overstaying a Visa? | eHow.com

It really doesn't take much effort to actually look up something you are talking about.

I'm not getting into those who marry.

I posted just to show that visa overstays IS A DEPORTABLE OFFENSE.
It's not a crime, but there still are penalties for overstaying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or