U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-04-2011, 10:36 AM
 
951 posts, read 622,612 times
Reputation: 89

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobgob View Post
Plenty of articles about the sever lack of workers in the agricultural industry in Alabama and Georgia thanks to the new racial profiling laws for Mexicans. Why do people feel Americans are jumping up to pick onions in the south Georgia sun when it isn't happening?

Because they claim Americans always were willing to do all the work that needed to get done the last 200 years. They conveniently leave out all the time during that 200 years that the slaves were actually doing the work. Or the fact that we used 8 year olds to work in factories at one time. Or that mostly illegal Chinese and other illegal immigrants built our railroads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-04-2011, 10:43 AM
 
199 posts, read 130,283 times
Reputation: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by huddledmasses View Post
Because they claim Americans always were willing to do all the work that needed to get done the last 200 years. They conveniently leave out all the time during that 200 years that the slaves were actually doing the work. Or the fact that we used 8 year olds to work in factories at one time. Or that mostly illegal Chinese and other illegal immigrants built our railroads.
My thoughts exactly. Georgia has a high unemployment rate and the new law certainly hasn't drop it, but thousands of migrant workers have left or just not came, thus leaving thousands of open farm jobs that we are scrambling to try to fill with prisoners if possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-04-2011, 10:51 AM
 
Location: Tempe, Az
1,421 posts, read 1,248,838 times
Reputation: 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by huddledmasses View Post
Because they claim Americans always were willing to do all the work that needed to get done the last 200 years. They conveniently leave out all the time during that 200 years that the slaves were actually doing the work. Or the fact that we used 8 year olds to work in factories at one time. Or that mostly illegal Chinese and other illegal immigrants built our railroads.
Slavery was stopped bout 150 years ago. The China people workd a few places here in California, Arizona, Utah. The rest of the workers were white people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-04-2011, 11:07 AM
 
Location: Alabama
1,068 posts, read 1,470,593 times
Reputation: 931
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobgob View Post
Plenty of articles about the sever lack of workers in the agricultural industry in Alabama and Georgia thanks to the new racial profiling laws for Mexicans. Why do people feel Americans are jumping up to pick onions in the south Georgia sun when it isn't happening?
This is what I try to tell them, but they do not listen. No American would want these jobs period. I know because I live here and they are not coming out in droves to apply for these jobs. Give me a break. Expect to see an increase in the price of fresh fruits and vegetables fairly soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-04-2011, 11:12 AM
 
199 posts, read 130,283 times
Reputation: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikCortez View Post
Slavery was stopped bout 150 years ago. The China people workd a few places here in California, Arizona, Utah. The rest of the workers were white people.
Where are the droves of white people in the fields now though? I thought they were desperate for jobs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-04-2011, 11:13 AM
 
951 posts, read 622,612 times
Reputation: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikCortez View Post
Slavery was stopped bout 150 years ago. The China people workd a few places here in California, Arizona, Utah. The rest of the workers were white people.
Yes, that means for 50 of the 200 years you and chi-nut keep trying to claim Americans did the work, slaves actually did. Now, which Americans did those jobs after slavery ended? Oh that's right immigrants. The white immigrants that built the railroads contained many illegals as well. Is that ok or something because they were white people and not hispanic? In other words, what is your point in specifying that they were white?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-04-2011, 11:16 AM
 
Location: Staten Island, NY
6,482 posts, read 6,030,874 times
Reputation: 6943
Quote:
Originally Posted by huddledmasses View Post
Yes which Americans did those jobs after slavery ended? Oh that's right immigrants. The white immigrants that built the railroads were largely illegal. Is that ok or something because they were white people and not hispanic? In other words, what is your point in specifying that they were white?
There were no immigrations laws to speak of during the western expansion of the country. What is your proof that the white immigrants were illegal? (And I thought that most railroad workers came from China. )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-04-2011, 11:18 AM
 
951 posts, read 622,612 times
Reputation: 89
Chinese Exclusion Act? really?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-04-2011, 12:38 PM
 
34 posts, read 36,489 times
Reputation: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreasuredJewel View Post
This is what I try to tell them, but they do not listen. No American would want these jobs period. I know because I live here and they are not coming out in droves to apply for these jobs. Give me a break. Expect to see an increase in the price of fresh fruits and vegetables fairly soon.
Oh ye and they'll blame Obama for how he wasnt able to control crop prices - glad a couple understand basic economics
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-04-2011, 12:43 PM
 
55 posts, read 59,768 times
Reputation: 43
The sudden revelation of Jose Antonio Vargas immigration status naturally brings the whole Immigration Issue to the front page. And there are two Conventional Wisdom arguments that have always bothered me.
* Immigrants take jobs away from hardworking, native Americans
* Immigrants do jobs that hardworking, native Americans won't do.

Do You Really Wanna Know !!!!
Daily Kos: Jobs Americans won't do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top