U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 10:33 AM

9,243 posts, read 7,096,522 times

Advertisements

Way to go Texas.

After seeing that Spanish testimony video. I thought Texas was done for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2011, 10:35 AM

5,302 posts, read 4,009,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Maine passed this law a couple years ago.

How many states now require you to be a US citizen to have a drivers license?
None, because Legal Permanent Residents and other non-immigrant statuses must also be able to apply for a driver's license...

Maine would probably have some Canadians that have done it...

Old 07-05-2011, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikCortez View Post
I agree with Suzanna Martinez. Smart person.
Why is the administrative overhead of a Legal Permanent Resident renewing their driver's license every year necessary? They have a Social Security number and permanent status to be in the United States. What does the measure in New Mexico or Texas gain the state in regards to illegal aliens?

Old 07-05-2011, 12:47 PM

29,722 posts, read 47,483,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
None, because ...
You are not correct.

Last April when I had to get my DL renewed, I had to bring in either my US passport or a Maine birth Certificate to prove citizenship.

A non-citizen is allowed to have a DL, but they must show prove of legal residency and their DL shows that they are not a citizen.

Out-of-state birth certificates are not allowed even.

We passed this law a year ago.

So like I said; how many states is Texas now joining with this?

Old 07-05-2011, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
You are not correct.

Last April when I had to get my DL renewed, I had to bring in either my US passport or a Maine birth Certificate to prove citizenship.

A non-citizen is allowed to have a DL, but they must show prove of legal residency and their DL shows that they are not a citizen.

Out-of-state birth certificates are not allowed even.

We passed this law a year ago.

So like I said; how many states is Texas now joining with this?
You phrased it as no one but citizens were allowed a driver's license in Maine:

Legal Presence, Driver License Services: Maine Bureau of Motor Vehicles

Old 07-05-2011, 09:35 PM

25,060 posts, read 22,101,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
its funny that they had to slip in this law and wouldnt let it stand on its feet, something that i thought dems only did.

as usual, nothing will change with this law. it wont curb illegal immigration, it wont change anything, just a politician playing to his base, and of course the people will jump up and down, even though as i said nothing will change.

the republicans did the same thing with uigea(unlawful internet gambling enforcement act), and intentionally destroyed the online gaming community because they say that i cant spend my own money the way i want to.

the only reason why i say this goes nowhere is because the state of texas is in bed with illegal aliens. perry needs something for 2012, an irrelevent bill that does nothing, but will make him look good to his base is perfect for him.

i hate politicians.
Perry seems to have a compulsive habit of doing that, that piece of ****. He did it with the anti-grope TSA bills. Said he was for them and then had Dewhurst quietly kill the bills or have them really watered down to redundancy. And this is the man that Fox now is having a love affair with (and consequently, all groupthinking Republicans)

Old 07-06-2011, 06:50 AM

47,576 posts, read 58,699,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
I was under the impression all states required a drivers license to drive a vehicle on public roads.....

Unless we set up checkpoints on all roads we will never find all the unlicensed drivers, but checkpoints go against the American grain....

So without setting up checkpoints how do you find unlicensed drivers?
They only require them if they suspect you are a citizen. Otherwise they give you a pass. A very large number of people here drive without insurance or licenses. They estimate up to half drive without liability insurance even though it's required of citizens.

Old 07-06-2011, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhymetime View Post
Bump. I'm curious about this.
I know for a fact that illegals are pulled over and cannot produce proof of insurance or a license and are just given a pass. Or what they do is pull out an old expired license they had in Mexico and that's good enough - even though it's clearly been expired for 5 or more years.

Here illegals drive all the time and they have no reason to fear at all. You can bet a very very large percent of illegals are driving no matter where they live.

Old 07-06-2011, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
Within this last year there has been legislation in New Mexico that considered having Legal Permanent Residents required to renew their driver's licenses every year! Our Governor, Suzanna Martinez, still wants it brought up in every session until it passes. Thank God we can try for naturalizing my wife soon!
So? How is that so bad? They are not citizens and don't need to be treated just like citizens.

If I was residing in another country, I wouldn't do so if all I could do was whine and whine about my life there and it's rules, I would abide by the rules of that country as long as I was a resident or guest of it.

Old 07-06-2011, 07:27 AM

14,307 posts, read 11,144,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
So? How is that so bad? They are not citizens and don't need to be treated just like citizens.

If I was residing in another country, I wouldn't do so if all I could do was whine and whine about my life there and it's rules, I would abide by the rules of that country as long as I was a resident or guest of it.
It's that victim mentality of some.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or