Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 12:00 PM

2,028 posts, read 5,416,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Maine passed this law a couple years ago.

How many states now require you to be a US citizen to have a drivers license?

None!
Otherwise legal green card holders who may be Professors, Scientists etc wouldn't be able to drive
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2011, 12:05 PM

2,028 posts, read 5,416,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
You are not correct.

Last April when I had to get my DL renewed, I had to bring in either my US passport or a Maine birth Certificate to prove citizenship.

A non-citizen is allowed to have a DL, but they must show prove of legal residency and their DL shows that they are not a citizen.

Out-of-state birth certificates are not allowed even.

We passed this law a year ago.

So like I said; how many states is Texas now joining with this?
'
It is correct- your original question was
How many states now require you to be a US citizen to have a drivers license?

The answer is still NONE!

Old 07-06-2011, 03:22 PM

37,329 posts, read 61,154,439 times
I stand corrected.

It appears that both Maine and Texas now both require proof of citizenship before they issue a DL that says your a citizen. If you are a legal resident there is also a method of acquiring a different DL with proof that your legal.

I think I said this up in post #24.

Old 07-06-2011, 03:42 PM

3 posts, read 13,101 times
I live in Texas...and its good they passed that law. But, the million dollar question is..."WILL IT BE ENFORCED ? " As with so many other things in Houston,, everyone closes their eyes to it. The illegals seem to get run of the city for the most part. They come over here do what they want and get what they want. Not to offend anyone..but true. And then they look to us naturally born American Citizens to conform to them and their ways. I am an apartment Manager... and let me tell you,, i see this firsthand ! Did you know they can go in and fill out an apartment app. in Houston, for any apartments and dont have to have a Texas I.D. an can use their Mexico I.D. AND they do not need a social security number ! Therefore.. it makes it very hard to complete a full background check on any of them ! But,, let one of us..American Citizens walk in and apply.. and we MUST have a Texas I.D. and Social Security number ! This is what i mean. Illegals want to know why they must be questioned,, well why the Hell do WE have to be questioned in our own country !! This is the mindset of most Illegal though.. they think they should get special treatment and get away with anything..no questions asked. And Houston has allowed it for so long. I dont think its ever going to change. And as far as the politicians... they only do what makes them look good. I dont mean to sound prejudice,, but ,, what im saying is true. I did not grow up here... so i have lived elsewhere.. and never have I seen it like it is here. Dont get me wrong.. Houston,, is big city... some parts beautiful... with alot of opportunities.. and cheaper living.. but the illegals take over a little too much.

Old 07-06-2011, 05:19 PM

15,913 posts, read 20,157,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry333 View Post
I live in Texas...and its good they passed that law. But, the million dollar question is..."WILL IT BE ENFORCED ? " As with so many other things in Houston,, everyone closes their eyes to it. The illegals seem to get run of the city for the most part. They come over here do what they want and get what they want. Not to offend anyone..but true. And then they look to us naturally born American Citizens to conform to them and their ways. I am an apartment Manager... and let me tell you,, i see this firsthand ! Did you know they can go in and fill out an apartment app. in Houston, for any apartments and dont have to have a Texas I.D. an can use their Mexico I.D. AND they do not need a social security number ! Therefore.. it makes it very hard to complete a full background check on any of them ! But,, let one of us..American Citizens walk in and apply.. and we MUST have a Texas I.D. and Social Security number ! This is what i mean. Illegals want to know why they must be questioned,, well why the Hell do WE have to be questioned in our own country !! This is the mindset of most Illegal though.. they think they should get special treatment and get away with anything..no questions asked. And Houston has allowed it for so long. I dont think its ever going to change. And as far as the politicians... they only do what makes them look good. I dont mean to sound prejudice,, but ,, what im saying is true. I did not grow up here... so i have lived elsewhere.. and never have I seen it like it is here. Dont get me wrong.. Houston,, is big city... some parts beautiful... with alot of opportunities.. and cheaper living.. but the illegals take over a little too much.
Here's your answer:

Quote:
"Unfortunately some Texas cities have enacted sanctuary city rules, handcuffing our officers," Perry told more than 200 members of the Combined Law Enforcement Associations of Texas at the Hilton downtown. "I think it's time to remove those handcuffs on our protectors.

The only Texas city Perry has specifically targeted is Houston. Officials there have said Houston does not have a formal sanctuary-city policy, but a longtime policy does prevent authorities from asking suspects about their immigration status.

Houston is as close you can get to being a
sanctuary-city without the actual declaration.....

http://www.star-telegram.com/2010/10/08/2532919/perry-takes-aim-at-texas-sanctuary.html#ixzz1RN1w2sX9 (broken link)

Last edited by plwhit; 07-06-2011 at 05:27 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration