U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2007, 05:05 PM

3,082 posts, read 6,312,462 times
I have a few questions about some often-repeated statements:

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
American families live one to a home and so pay full property taxes. If 3 illegal families are living in one home and sending 7 school age children to be educated, each family is only paying one third of their fair share of property taxes. Why should I pay car insurance premiums when illegals simply drive around without it?
Not even every citizen lives the lifestyle you do. You're suggesting that if someone doesn't have the money to own a house, and instead they barely scrape by living in a cheap 2-BR apartment and have 2 kids, It's not fair to YOU with your nice house and car because they're not paying my fair share of taxes for the schools, roads, or whatever? So it's not fair that people, less fortunate than you, get any social services at all, because they have less wealth and possessions on which to pay taxes? Where do you limit that sort of reasoning? Couldn't a millionaire with the same number of kids, in a higher tax bracket than you, claim that it is unfair to HIM/HER that YOU don't live in a mansion on an estate and pay the associated property taxes toward schooling your children?

You pay car insurance premiums so that you won't lose your liscense if you get in an accident. You get a liscense so you won't be arrested for driving without one. You absolutely can chose not disobey the law--just like some illegal aliens. The only difference is that you have enough money to have a choice.

By the way, if you were destitute or unable to pay for medical care--or even if you are able--you too can go to a free clinic and have medical care rendered to you. Feel free to see if it is the same quality as that provided by the doctor you pay for. In fact, you can walk around without ID, refuse to identify yourself, and be rendered emergency medical care if in need--again, just like some illegal aliens. You can save a bundle on insurance and die of a treatable-but-undetected cancer at 45. Again, I don't understand why you are upset at having to pay for superior service while those who do not pay are rendered inferior service? Or would you prefer to withold even basic or emergency medical care from those who are in need but cannot pay?

Last edited by sponger42; 08-15-2007 at 05:05 PM.. Reason: Made it nicer sounding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2007, 07:18 PM

3,712 posts, read 4,001,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
I have a few questions about some often-repeated statements:

Not even every citizen lives the lifestyle you do. You're suggesting that if someone doesn't have the money to own a house, and instead they barely scrape by living in a cheap 2-BR apartment and have 2 kids, It's not fair to YOU with your nice house and car because they're not paying my fair share of taxes for the schools, roads, or whatever? So it's not fair that people, less fortunate than you, get any social services at all, because they have less wealth and possessions on which to pay taxes? Where do you limit that sort of reasoning? Couldn't a millionaire with the same number of kids, in a higher tax bracket than you, claim that it is unfair to HIM/HER that YOU don't live in a mansion on an estate and pay the associated property taxes toward schooling your children?

You pay car insurance premiums so that you won't lose your liscense if you get in an accident. You get a liscense so you won't be arrested for driving without one. You absolutely can chose not disobey the law--just like some illegal aliens. The only difference is that you have enough money to have a choice.

By the way, if you were destitute or unable to pay for medical care--or even if you are able--you too can go to a free clinic and have medical care rendered to you. Feel free to see if it is the same quality as that provided by the doctor you pay for. In fact, you can walk around without ID, refuse to identify yourself, and be rendered emergency medical care if in need--again, just like some illegal aliens. You can save a bundle on insurance and die of a treatable-but-undetected cancer at 45. Again, I don't understand why you are upset at having to pay for superior service while those who do not pay are rendered inferior service? Or would you prefer to withold even basic or emergency medical care from those who are in need but cannot pay?
First of all, you have no clue as to what my 'lifestyle' is or isn't. Nor is it any of your business.
I do not have a problem paying taxes to support our education system and provide a safety net for American citizens who have fallen on hard times. What I do have a problem with is watching the hard earned tax dollars US citizens, including myself, diverted to provide services for people who are here illegally and have no business being in the country in the first place. I strongly support providing a good education to American students. I also support programs that provide medical care to Americans who otherwise would not be able to afford it.
I can think of no reason why the American taxpayer should have to foot the bill for expensive services used by illegal aliens.

Old 08-15-2007, 11:14 PM

4,708 posts, read 5,409,443 times
Quote:
First of all, you have no clue as to what my 'lifestyle' is or isn't. Nor is it any of your business.
I do not have a problem paying taxes to support our education system and provide a safety net for American citizens who have fallen on hard times. What I do have a problem with is watching the hard earned tax dollars US citizens, including myself, diverted to provide services for people who are here illegally and have no business being in the country in the first place. I strongly support providing a good education to American students. I also support programs that provide medical care to Americans who otherwise would not be able to afford it.
I can think of no reason why the American taxpayer should have to foot the bill for expensive services used by illegal aliens.
You need to understand that the national Chamber of Commerce has lobbied both parties in Congress for DECADES so that the Feds DO NOT enforce the existing immigration laws. So the Feds end up spending that money INSTEAD on social welfare programs for these illegals, while also allowing business owners to make higher profits (in some cases, by running businesses that are uneconomic and should not exist without the use of below-market illegal labor) than would otherwise be the case. This practice HURTS the economy at least by DISTORTING the wage rates. The average citizen of Mexico earns LESS THAN FIVE DOLLARS A DAY. This means that until the society of Mexico improves its own economy, there is a pent-up demand by MILLIONS OF MEXICANS for work in the U.S. FOR THE REST OF OUR LIFETIMES. That is the situation that your elected representatives in Washington, D.C. have set up for this country.

We are talking here about GREED and political corruption. There is no true political leadership already in existence on this issue. It will have to come anew from the grass roots of this country.

Last edited by ParkTwain; 08-16-2007 at 12:47 AM..

Old 08-16-2007, 10:50 AM

3,082 posts, read 6,312,462 times
Quote:
It isn't any of my business, apologies. Substitute "someone" for everytime I said "you" in my last post.

Quote:
What I do have a problem with is watching the hard earned tax dollars US citizens, including myself, diverted to provide services for people who are here illegally and have no business being in the country in the first place.
Well now hold on. That's not what I was asking about. I was asking why it is "unfair" to the wealthy to have two poor families living in a single apartment and only paying the resulting lesser taxes while the wealthy pay higher taxes.

If your only problem is with the "illegal" in illegal immigrants, than you shouldn't care whether they live in a mansion and are in the 30% tax bracket or if they get paid under the table and contribute almost no taxes at all.

So, would you have a problem with an illegal immigrant family that owns a home and pays their fair share into the tax system?

Old 08-16-2007, 12:55 PM

3,712 posts, read 4,001,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
It isn't any of my business, apologies. Substitute "someone" for everytime I said "you" in my last post.

Well now hold on. That's not what I was asking about. I was asking why it is "unfair" to the wealthy to have two poor families living in a single apartment and only paying the resulting lesser taxes while the wealthy pay higher taxes.

If your only problem is with the "illegal" in illegal immigrants, than you shouldn't care whether they live in a mansion and are in the 30% tax bracket or if they get paid under the table and contribute almost no taxes at all.

So, would you have a problem with an illegal immigrant family that owns a home and pays their fair share into the tax system?
This is the immigration forum. If you want to discuss whether or not the US tax system is fair, the politics forum may be approppriate.
The answer to your question is yes. I would have a problem with an illegal alien family that owns a home and pays their fair share in taxes. I personally don't care if illegal aliens are in the 30% tax bracket or pay no taxes at all. That does not change the fact that they are in the US illegally one iota.

Old 08-17-2007, 06:17 PM

2,105 posts, read 5,369,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Throx View Post
All illegal immigrants should be conscripted into the armed forces for 3 or 4 years. If they take the time to serve the country, learn the language, be proud to be Americans, then they earned their right to stay.

Have any politicians proposed this yet?
some of these people have nothing but contempt for this country, so i don't think forcing them into our military and giving them guns is such a good idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration