Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 09:49 AM

951 posts, read 743,969 times

Advertisements

Nope, the number of illegals entering the country is down as well. Migration numbers drop when the economy is bad and enforcement has been stricter as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2011, 09:55 AM

1,574 posts, read 1,016,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Many employers are discriminating against native English speakers in hiring practices by requiring Spanish to get hired. This is only so they can pander to illegal alien Spanish speakers. So yes, English speakers are in affect "being punished".
I make hiring decisions. I definitely exclude people who don't have skills necessary to do the job. I guess you could say I punish people who don't understand calculus and I pander to customers who like products that actually work as intended.

Couple of followup questions:

1) all spanish speakers are illegal?
2) speaking spanish prevents you from also speaking english? Because selecting spanish speakers is not the same as excluding english speakers.

Regardless, what private employers do is not really the issue here. Unless you think the government should be telling business owners how to run their businesses.

Old 07-05-2011, 10:21 AM

5,299 posts, read 4,840,487 times
Quote:
Hmm, you see some names you know? What kind of people do you hang with? The picture gets clearer and clearer, doesn't it?

Just another good reason to eliminate illegal immigration in this country. People get personally involved with an illegal alien sometimes not even knowing that they are illegally present in this country and all kinds of heartache sets in. When discovered or knowingly getting involved that should be their option then. Move to their illegal spouses country. Don't expect our immigration laws to be stretched or altered just for them.
But love conquers all, right?...

I just know a few of the U.S. citizen-side of the relationships (and from being online, the article talks about their blogs, but hints at where they are on a forum). Quite often the couple is waiting out either a three-year or ten-year ban until the waiver can be resubmitted. It isn't criminal level that brings on the bans (that would make them inadmissible), usually just more than one entry or the illegal presence over a year.

Most of these relationships survive. They start in the United States (so a fiance(e) or other entry visa is not applicable), and are often well underway, many times with children, before they figure out the "legalization" process is more involved. It seems that the "instant citizenship" myth is more common than people understanding reality.

Is there any further issues with the examples in the article? The spouse is outside the United States, and for re-entry it is on a legal immigration path. All this time on the forum I have heard this is the ideal: An illegal alien needs to return to their home country, have whichever penalty applied, and try to immigrate legally.

All of those constraints would be satisfied here, why there be any objections for the spouses of these U.S. citizens, often with U.S. citizen children, to be able to become legal immigrants, and eventually U.S. citizens themselves?...

Old 07-05-2011, 10:31 AM

5,299 posts, read 4,840,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjay51 View Post
Would that be because he has allowed in more illegals than any other president?
Citation please...

It seems this topic is getting derailed like all of the others here...

What is the overall issue with the people mentioned in the article, and the methods they are using to keep their relationship going, often to have their spouse re-admitted by legal immigration?...

Come on, I've heard this is the method people here want...

Old 07-05-2011, 10:52 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,298,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhymetime View Post
I make hiring decisions. I definitely exclude people who don't have skills necessary to do the job. I guess you could say I punish people who don't understand calculus and I pander to customers who like products that actually work as intended.

Couple of followup questions:

1) all spanish speakers are illegal?
2) speaking spanish prevents you from also speaking english? Because selecting spanish speakers is not the same as excluding english speakers.

Regardless, what private employers do is not really the issue here. Unless you think the government should be telling business owners how to run their businesses.
That's not the same thing. Requiring that potential hires have the basic skills and experience for a job is not the same as discriminating against someone because they don't know the language of illegal invaders.

Never said that all Spanish speakers are illegals. In fact most Hispanic Americans know how to speak English so just who is being pandered to here? It certainly isn't citizen Hispanics. If an English speaking applicant is being discriminated against based on not knowing Spanish then yes, they are being "excluded".

It is the principal of the thing that bothers me. Native English speakers are being discriminated against just so un-patriotic and greedy employers can pander to illegal aliens for profit.

Old 07-05-2011, 11:00 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,298,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
But love conquers all, right?...

I just know a few of the U.S. citizen-side of the relationships (and from being online, the article talks about their blogs, but hints at where they are on a forum). Quite often the couple is waiting out either a three-year or ten-year ban until the waiver can be resubmitted. It isn't criminal level that brings on the bans (that would make them inadmissible), usually just more than one entry or the illegal presence over a year.

Most of these relationships survive. They start in the United States (so a fiance(e) or other entry visa is not applicable), and are often well underway, many times with children, before they figure out the "legalization" process is more involved. It seems that the "instant citizenship" myth is more common than people understanding reality.

Is there any further issues with the examples in the article? The spouse is outside the United States, and for re-entry it is on a legal immigration path. All this time on the forum I have heard this is the ideal: An illegal alien needs to return to their home country, have whichever penalty applied, and try to immigrate legally.

All of those constraints would be satisfied here, why there be any objections for the spouses of these U.S. citizens, often with U.S. citizen children, to be able to become legal immigrants, and eventually U.S. citizens themselves?...
Perhaps a citizen should find out if their "love interest" is here legally or not first before getting involved. After that they should evaluate whether or not their "love interest" will be able to remain in this country through legal channels or not or if they are willing to join them in their own homeland. And no, love does not conquer "all".

The only thing I am aware of about instant citizenship is birthright citizenship and that is no myth so what are you talking about?

I have no problem if an illegal alien returns to their homeland and applies legally to come here but they and their American love interest or spouse should accept the fact that it may not be possible or they may have to wait for years for it to happen and stop whining about it since they made the decision to become involved with each other.

Old 07-05-2011, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Just another good reason to eliminate illegal immigration in this country. People get personally involved with an illegal alien sometimes not even knowing that they are illegally present in this country and all kinds of heartache sets in. When discovered or knowingly getting involved that should be their option then. Move to their illegal spouses country. Don't expect our immigration laws to be stretched or altered just for them.
Circular logic at it's finest. We need to keep immigration illegal to protect our womenfolk from falling in love with foreigners because it will be sad when we drag their men away because they are illegal.

Old 07-05-2011, 12:10 PM

Quote:
That's not the same thing. Requiring that potential hires have the basic skills and experience for a job is not the same as discriminating against someone because they don't know the language of illegal invaders.
Well, when knowing spanish IS "the basic skill needed for the job" then yes, it IS the same thing.

Quote:
It is the principal of the thing that bothers me. Native English speakers are being discriminated against just so un-patriotic and greedy employers can pander to illegal aliens for profit.
Then why would you want to work for such a company anyway? You're being excluded from jobs you don't even want, so what's your complaint, exactly?

Old 07-05-2011, 12:20 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,199,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhymetime View Post
Circular logic at it's finest. We need to keep immigration illegal to protect our womenfolk from falling in love with foreigners because it will be sad when we drag their men away because they are illegal.
So which violators of laws to we stop at? Its only an illegal free pass.
Its a drunk driver but hey otherwise a good guy. free pass.
mean while we are disqualifying applicants for minor infractions.
Its not the fault of the law that people fall in love with criminals. And yes that what illegals are is criminals. The majority are not just over the line illegally. They are also committing fraud, evading taxes, often driving without a license and insurance, ID theft etc.
The fact that for what ever reason they are here illegally does not justify their lifestyles. The fact that they disagree with our immigration policies does not change the facts.
I can sympathise with these spouses. My step daughter is waiting for her VISA. But then unlike illegals she is not a criminal nor is anyone advocting a free pass because her mom and I miss her.
What is it a pro-illegal said to me on another thread, when I asked what do we tell all those who did it legally, if we grant an amnesty?
Oh well sometimes life aint fair..

Old 07-05-2011, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
So which violators of laws to we stop at? Its only an illegal free pass.
Its a drunk driver but hey otherwise a good guy. free pass.
mean while we are disqualifying applicants for minor infractions.
Its not the fault of the law that people fall in love with criminals. And yes that what illegals are is criminals. The majority are not just over the line illegally. They are also committing fraud, evading taxes, often driving without a license and insurance, ID theft etc.
The fact that for what ever reason they are here illegally does not justify their lifestyles. The fact that they disagree with our immigration policies does not change the facts.
I can sympathise with these spouses. My step daughter is waiting for her VISA. But then unlike illegals she is not a criminal nor is anyone advocting a free pass because her mom and I miss her.
What is it a pro-illegal said to me on another thread, when I asked what do we tell all those who did it legally, if we grant an amnesty?
Oh well sometimes life aint fair..
None of this really has anything to do with the circular logic argument. If you are so worried about the fraud, tax evasion (lol, they pay taxes, it's proven, even the IRS admits it) etc, there's a very, very simple solution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration