U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 08:46 AM

14,307 posts, read 11,189,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post
Facing a cultural divide in my mixed marriage - CNN.com

On the other hand, Mexicans and Mexican Americans are different.

Unless you are a Mexican American that has travelled and lived in Mexico, I believe you are more American, as stipulated in the article.

If you are born and raised in another country, that is your identity. You can like your new environment but no paper changes your cultural identity.

As stated in the article, Mexican Americans, are often viewed as too Mexican to be American and too American to be Mexican.

In short, Mexicans and Mexican Americans do have a different cultural identity even if they share the same citizenship.
The common term for mixed marriages are two people of different genetics and ethniticies, not different nationalities.

Nothing wrong with becoming a naturalized citizen in this country while still retaining the cultural practices of your birth country at home. Should one not assimilate and adapt to ours also, particularly out in mainstream? I don't think so. Why move here then. That just creates division in our country instead of a cohesive society.

Old 07-09-2011, 09:32 AM

2,381 posts, read 4,421,983 times
And the ironic thing is that the author of the article is using soccer as an example of non-assimilation by Mexican Americans when soccer is not even part of the mainstream American culture.

Old 07-09-2011, 11:40 AM

5,368 posts, read 4,905,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Americans have this romantic view of immigration. Folks just don't swear off their home countries because they now have access to a USA passport.

The Mexicans are right. I just had discussion with a Nigerian who was born here. He says he's Nigerian not American. How much more people who were actually born and raised overseas. A US Passport is one of convenience it doesn't bestow some mythical re-allegiance.
BS it doesn't. Please go back to the country that you feel allegiance too. As an American, I don't want you here if you feel more connection to your ancestral homeland than my country. Immigrants need to assimilate, especially if they plan on making America a permanent home. Why is it that the non-european immigrants that America has received over the passed 50 years can't get this? Mexicans are the worst when it comes to this issue. Because of that it doesn't surprise me that so many of them still consider themselves Mexican even after having American citizenship.

Old 07-09-2011, 12:13 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,949,633 times
Face it - the only allegience many of these people have is to the almighty US dollar. They sure do love the money and it's the one thing that doesn't have to be printed in their own language for them to love.

They love the American money more than they love their own countries which they only pretend to care about. It's the dollars that have them packing up and fleeing their beloved homelands and the dollars that keep them from ever returning home.

Old 07-09-2011, 12:18 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,949,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer75 View Post
Of course. We all look at Mexicans-Americans and call them Mexicans anyway.
Don't tell me you say "oh, look at the brown American latino, who must be of Mexican decent". LOL...give me a break.

Let's stop calling African-Americans that too while we're at it.

What does this have to do with ILLEGAL immigration?
I don't. I call them Americans and there are some who are as or more American than anyone.

Not only that I see white German speaking menonitas and I see tham as Mexicans because that is exactly what they are.

Mexican means a citizen of a country called Mexico, American or estadounidense as some prefer to call us is a citizen of the USA.

And your point is silly because all US citizens have ancestral roots of some kind or another but we are citizens of the USA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or