U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-06-2011, 03:30 PM
 
1,574 posts, read 788,884 times
Reputation: 124

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Currently, the majority of both legal and illegal immigration is from Mexico. If we need immigrants, we should have a more equitable percentage from various regions of the world. Do you object to a more diverse group of immigrants?
Oh, so what is the correct mix, exactly? I don't object to diversity, but I'm also not going to sit here and say we should artificially be controlling how diverse the population should be. What are you proposing, exactly? Subsidizing immigrants from africa so we get more of them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-06-2011, 03:31 PM
 
89 posts, read 39,356 times
Reputation: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Currently, the majority of both legal and illegal immigration is from Mexico. If we need immigrants, we should have a more equitable percentage from various regions of the world. Do you object to a more diverse group of immigrants?
I don't think we need to restrict the immigration of one country relative to another.

Here's a question for you, though. If a diverse pool of immigrants is your goal, then would you support increasing immigration from other countries by, say, expanding the diversity visa lottery, while leaving Mexican immigration rates the same?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-06-2011, 03:46 PM
 
2,113 posts, read 2,241,612 times
Reputation: 1758
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikCortez View Post
Its time to have quotas again. Time to let us legal Hispanics and Mexican Americans become American without fightin the predjudice agains us caused by ILLEGAL aliens from Mexico.
These illegals give legal immigrants a bad name.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-06-2011, 04:25 PM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,809,199 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhymetime View Post
Oh, so what is the correct mix, exactly? I don't object to diversity, but I'm also not going to sit here and say we should artificially be controlling how diverse the population should be. What are you proposing, exactly? Subsidizing immigrants from africa so we get more of them?
Now, why would you assume I would want to subsidize immigrants from Africa? Hmmm. . .

No, I don’t want to “subsidize” immigration from ANY country. Nor do I want ALL of our immigrants to come from Mexico. Why not an equal percentage? Or, will that not suit your agenda?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-06-2011, 04:31 PM
 
89 posts, read 39,356 times
Reputation: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Now, why would you assume I would want to subsidize immigrants from Africa? Hmmm. . .

No, I don’t want to “subsidize” immigration from ANY country. Nor do I want ALL of our immigrants to come from Mexico. Why not an equal percentage? Or, will that not suit your agenda?
An equal percentage compared to what?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-06-2011, 04:39 PM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,809,199 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEHMarten View Post
I don't think we need to restrict the immigration of one country relative to another.

Here's a question for you, though. If a diverse pool of immigrants is your goal, then would you support increasing immigration from other countries by, say, expanding the diversity visa lottery, while leaving Mexican immigration rates the same?
Don’t you think having over 10% of the population of Mexico living here is enough? And, that is only the illegals. If we add the legal immigrants, who knows what the percentage will be. No, Mexicans have had their chance.

Unfortunately, due to their massive illegal immigration, illegal aliens now outnumber legal immigrants from Mexico, and they have ruined our legal immigration process for others. Now, we need a moratorium on ALL immigration until we can resolve this issue. No country can sustain this level of immigration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-06-2011, 04:39 PM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,146,155 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Now, why would you assume I would want to subsidize immigrants from Africa? Hmmm. . .

No, I don’t want to “subsidize” immigration from ANY country. Nor do I want ALL of our immigrants to come from Mexico. Why not an equal percentage? Or, will that not suit your agenda?
That's the bottom line, Benicar. Many pro-illegals are of Mexican ancestry so they only care about illegals from there. It is ethnocentric, racism IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-06-2011, 04:41 PM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,809,199 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEHMarten View Post
An equal percentage compared to what?
Compared to the disproportionate share Mexicans have received during the past 20 years.

By the way, you still didn’t answer my question. Why did you assume I would want to subsidize immigration from Africa?

Edit: My bad, you didn't pose the question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-06-2011, 04:42 PM
 
89 posts, read 39,356 times
Reputation: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Don’t you think having over 10% of the population of Mexico living here is enough? And, that is only the illegals. If we add the legal immigrants, who knows what the percentage will be. No, Mexicans have had their chance.

Unfortunately, due to their massive illegal immigration, illegal aliens now outnumber legal immigrants from Mexico, and they have ruined our legal immigration process for others. Now, we need a moratorium on ALL immigration until we can resolve this issue. No country can sustain this level of immigration.
Do you have a citation to support that claim?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-06-2011, 04:45 PM
 
Location: My little patch of Earth
6,193 posts, read 4,365,936 times
Reputation: 3042
So do we have an.....

illegal alien immigration depression?

or

illegal alien immigration recession?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top