U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 08:44 AM

89 posts, read 39,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
I wonder how many Mexicans or those from other Latino countries come legally every year besides the massive numbers who enter illegally compared to the drop in the bucket number of 50,000 diversity visa lottery numbers for others? If that is diversity then I will eat my hat.
Are you saying that people from Guatemala, Honduras, Argentina, and Brazil are indistinguishable from people from Mexico?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2011, 08:50 AM

23,599 posts, read 31,135,299 times
Quote:
I wonder how many Mexicans or those from other Latino countries come legally every year besides the massive numbers who enter illegally compared to the drop in the bucket number of 50,000 diversity visa lottery numbers for others? If that is diversity then I will eat my hat.
I would imagine that there are more illegal Mexicans than legal Mexicans entering the country each year, and those numbers far exceed 50,000 anyway.

Old 07-07-2011, 08:52 AM

34 posts, read 17,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
Mexican migration near zero | StarTribune.com

This article supports what I have seen as well. Also, I think the stereotype about Mexicans having alot of kids has outlived its usefulness, as their birthrate is now basically the same as it is for Americans.
Supply and demand! What a concept!

Old 07-07-2011, 09:50 AM

14,307 posts, read 11,144,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I would imagine that there are more illegal Mexicans than legal Mexicans entering the country each year, and those numbers far exceed 50,000 anyway.
Yes, and that was my point. Mexicans and other Latinos get more than their fair of "immigrant" numbers in this country. So much for diversity.

Old 07-07-2011, 10:33 AM

1,574 posts, read 788,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Now, why would you assume I would want to subsidize immigrants from Africa? Hmmm. . .

No, I don’t want to “subsidize” immigration from ANY country. Nor do I want ALL of our immigrants to come from Mexico. Why not an equal percentage? Or, will that not suit your agenda?

So how are you going to convince more people to immigrate here from Africa or wherever? You want more of it, but you're not willing to pay for it? So who should pay for it? Give me a solution, here. Are you suggestion we should force some Africans to immigrate on their own dime?

Old 07-07-2011, 11:51 AM

5,302 posts, read 4,009,391 times
Quote:
Diversity doesn't just come from the Diversity Visa program. In 2010, Mexicans were 13.3% of legal immigration (over half of the total legal immigrants each year adjust status within the United States, and are not new arrivals for that year), a number of 139,120. That is about double the next highest country, China.

Seventeen other countries around the world are listed by DHS for numbers and percentages, with the remainder group together as more than a third in each of the recent years. The Diversity Visa numbers will be within that last group, for countries that do not have higher immigration rates.

Old 07-07-2011, 11:53 AM

10,395 posts, read 8,344,729 times
Quote:

This article supports what I have seen as well. Also, I think the stereotype about Mexicans having alot of kids has outlived its usefulness, as their birthrate is now basically the same as it is for Americans.
Everyone who wants to come is already here.

Old 07-07-2011, 12:04 PM

5,302 posts, read 4,009,391 times
Quote:

as it was for Americans...

Besides Mexican birthrates going down, the White birthrate in America has gone below being self-sustaining...

Old 07-07-2011, 12:27 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,809,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I hate to quibble but just over half of all illegal immigrants are from Mexico which puts your percentage of the Mexican population at 5%. Along with Mexicans there are approximately 270,000 Philippines, 200,000 Indians, 200,000 Koreans and 2,145,000 from non-latin American countries. I hasten to mention that the 530,000 Salvadorians, 480,000 Guatemalans, and 320,000 Hondurans came to the U.S. in no small part due to U.S. sponsored civil wars and genocide. Just a little food for thought.
I also hate to quibble. However, the number of illegals in this country was NOT a factor in the 10% estimate. After all, no one knows the actual number of illegal aliens. It could be 12 million, or as many as 30+ million. Regardless, 10% was determined by the estimated number of Mexican nationals living in this country compared to the total population of Mexico.

People
Nationality: Noun and adjective--Mexican(s).
Population (July 2010 est.): 112,468,855.

Mexico

Quote:
The number of Mexicans living in the U.S. is very large from Mexico's perspective, too. About 11% of everyone born in Mexico is currently living in the U.S. This large-scale transfer of population has taken place fairly quickly in demographic terms.
Mexican Immigrants in the United States, 2008 - Pew Research Center

Quote:
Mexico's population in 2006 is 107,449,525. It is estimated that nearly 10 percent of this total, or 10 million people, are undocumented migrants living in the United States.
FRONTLINE/WORLD . MEXICO - A Death in the Desert . Facts | PBS

Quote:
Roughly 10 percent of Mexico's population of about 107 million is now living in the United States, estimates show. About 15 percent of Mexico's labor force is working in the United States. One in every 7 Mexican workers migrates to the United States.
Give and take across the border / 1 in 7 Mexican workers migrates -- most send money home - SFGate

Quote:
Roughly 10 percent of Mexico’s population lives outside of Mexico, mostly in the United States. Remittances, or money sent home from a foreign country, from these immigrants represent 3 percent of Mexico’s total GDP. Scotia estimates that there is an 86 percent correlation between remittances and retail sales in Mexico.
Emerging Markets

Quote:
The more than 11 million people born in Mexico now living in the U.S. - about 10 percent of the Mexican population - constitute the largest number of people living outside their own country in an adjacent country. More than half of those Mexican-born individuals are in the country illegally
Border security, immigration reform continue to vex U.S.

Old 07-07-2011, 12:35 PM

7,022 posts, read 5,772,668 times
Quote:
Douglas Massey, director of the Mexican Migration Project at Princeton, a long-term survey in Mexican emigration hubs, said his research showed that interest in heading to the United States had fallen to its lowest level since at least the 1950s.

U.S. census figures analyzed by the nonpartisan Pew Hispanic Center also show that the illegal Mexican population in the United States has shrunk and that fewer than 100,000 illegal border-crossers and visa-violators from Mexico settled in the United States in 2010, down from about 525,000 a year from 2000 to 2004.
"nonpartisan", LoL. I don't believe for one minute that the illegal immigration is slowing down any, just ask the border states what they think of that since they're the ones who suffer the most from these invaders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration