U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 07:56 AM

89 posts, read 39,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
It simply amazes me when the pro-illegals try to justify unlimited "immigration" today by our policies of the past. We are no longer a wide open frontier in the nation building process. Our jobs and resources are dwindling and we have overcrowded conditons today due to uncontrolled population growth. Totally different country than we were 100-200 years ago.
Last I checked, we still have a ton of space and a ton of resources. And jobs are not finite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2011, 08:00 AM

17,279 posts, read 24,969,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEHMarten View Post
Probably because they didn't want to have to work as hard to compete against immigrants.

...or because he recognized the "race to the bottom" in wages and working conditions occasioned by a shadow workforce that competes

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEHMarten
Last I checked, we still have a ton of space and a ton of resources. And jobs are not finite.

To what benefit is it to the environment, security and standard of living for Americans to keep "filling in the dead space" until there is no more dead space left? Then what?

Really, have you absolutely no clue at all?

Old 07-08-2011, 08:03 AM

10,946 posts, read 7,979,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhymetime View Post
So we don't need more immigrants, but there aren't enough of the non-mexican ones?

Seriously, come on. You're saying if all those darn Mexicans hadn't snuck in we'd be importing more non-Mexicans? I dunno, why do those non-Mexicans deserve a free pass? Because they're not Mexican?
No, you are the one claiming we import immigrants. Specifically mexican immigrants. Then claiming we import them with the promise of a "free pass". You have revealed your agenda and desires.

We have a legal immigration system in place that has allowed approximately one million immigrants per year to achieve citizenship.

I guess you feel that the illegals should be exempt from this process, for what reason I can only guess.

You really need to understand the system prior to accusing others in opposition to your agenda of things not in evidence.

Old 07-08-2011, 08:07 AM

10,946 posts, read 7,979,077 times
Quote:
Check again. The government has limited the space available by declaring it belongs to the feds. Check the unemployment rate as to just how many jobs are "not finite".

You are just wrong in so many ways.

Old 07-08-2011, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post

...or because he recognized the "race to the bottom" in wages and working conditions occasioned by a shadow workforce that competes
They wouldn't be a "shadow workforce" if they were legal immigrants. And no, it's not a race to the bottom in wages. If you work harder and produce more of a product or a better product, you'll be worth more to your employers. I mean, not all electrical engineers make minimum wage, right? Not all electrical engineers even get paid the same amount that's above minimum wage. Some do better work and get paid more. Others aren't worth as much. If there is more competition for your job, you have to compete harder.

Quote:
To what benefit is it to the environment, security and standard of living for Americans to keep "filling in the dead space" until there is no more dead space left? Then what?

Really, have you absolutely no clue at all?
How full do you think this country is, really?

Old 07-08-2011, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjay51 View Post
Check again. The government has limited the space available by declaring it belongs to the feds. Check the unemployment rate as to just how many jobs are "not finite".

There are lots of jobs. There may not be many jobs that unemployed middle managers are willing to do for the price that they'd be hired to do them, but there are lots of jobs. Jobs can be created out of thin air when one person wants to do a job for another person at a price the two of them agree is fair.

Old 07-08-2011, 08:19 AM

14,307 posts, read 11,152,437 times
Quote:

Much of these "tons of space" are arid desert. Our water supplies for one thing are not unlimited. Do we really want to build on every square inch of this country so that we can accomodate billions of foreigners in our country when their own countries have the natural resources to handle their own populations? Why would we want to overcrowd our country while theirs lay sparsely populated? That makes no sense whatsover. I can't believe these ludicrous arguments for filling up our country with millions or even billions more by the pro-illegals. I guess our own citizens quality of life means nothing to them.

Old 07-08-2011, 08:23 AM

5,302 posts, read 4,012,769 times
Quote:
...We have a legal immigration system in place that has allowed approximately one million immigrants per year to achieve citizenship.

I guess you feel that the illegals should be exempt from this process, for what reason I can only guess.

You really need to understand the system prior to accusing others in opposition to your agenda of things not in evidence.
What is the system for immigrants to "achieve citizenship", it seems you have left out some requirements. Illegal aliens are exempt from the "process" now, they never gain any status to define where they are in our society. If you can't follow along well enough in the topic, you don't have to read and participate.

Old 07-08-2011, 08:25 AM

47,576 posts, read 58,722,338 times
Quote:
There are lots of jobs. There may not be many jobs that unemployed middle managers are willing to do for the price that they'd be hired to do them, but there are lots of jobs. Jobs can be created out of thin air when one person wants to do a job for another person at a price the two of them agree is fair.
Jobs is not why they're coming. The USA has about double the unemployment rate of Mexico.

Old 07-08-2011, 08:29 AM

14,307 posts, read 11,152,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
What is the system for immigrants to "achieve citizenship", it seems you have left out some requirements. Illegal aliens are exempt from the "process" now, they never gain any status to define where they are in our society. If you can't follow along well enough in the topic, you don't have to read and participate.
It is called amnesty. That is the system that the pro-illegals are advocating for illegals to gain at least legalization through and eventually citizenship.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration