U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 08:30 AM

1,569 posts, read 1,005,127 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Jobs is not why they're coming.
...you sure? Because I'm pretty sure you're messing up the talking points here, they're supposed to be coming for money and greed and such.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2011, 08:31 AM

14,307 posts, read 11,146,155 times
Quote:
Jobs is not why they're coming. The USA has about double the unemployment rate of Mexico.
Right, if there are a lot of jobs then why do we have such a high unemployment rate? There are just as many blue collared workers out of work as the white collared ones, perhaps even more.

Old 07-08-2011, 08:33 AM

47,576 posts, read 58,699,632 times
Nearly half a million residents flee Juarez (http://www.elreporterosf.com/editions/?q=node/4217 - broken link)

Fleeing Juarez | News & Features | El Paso Times

As the death toll mounts, and the inequities between the law enforcement agencies and the cartels they are trying to battle become more disparate, an estimated 500,000 residents along with a slew of businesses from this border city of 1.5 million have sought refuge from the seemingly endless crackle of gunfire.

500,000 and counting is not a trickle.

Old 07-08-2011, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Nearly half a million residents flee Juarez (http://www.elreporterosf.com/editions/?q=node/4217 - broken link)

Fleeing Juarez | News & Features | El Paso Times

As the death toll mounts, and the inequities between the law enforcement agencies and the cartels they are trying to battle become more disparate, an estimated 500,000 residents along with a slew of businesses from this border city of 1.5 million have sought refuge from the seemingly endless crackle of gunfire.

500,000 and counting is not a trickle.

Are you actually reading that article?

A. This is about the flow of people out of Juarez over the course of the past 5-6 years due to the drug war violence. Quotez:

Quote:
The city of Juárez’s planning department said 110,000 houses have been abandoned from 2005 to the beginning of 2009. Based on average family size, about 420,000 people, or 30% of the city’s residents, have moved out of Juárez, either to other parts of Mexico or to the United States.
B. Obviously there is 0 data here about how many of these residents, over the course of the past 6 years, have illegally emigrated to the U.S.

Keep banging that drum.

Old 07-08-2011, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmadinejad View Post

Are you actually reading that article?

A. This is about the flow of people out of Juarez over the course of the past 5-6 years due to the drug war violence. Quotez:

B. Obviously there is 0 data here about how many of these residents, over the course of the past 6 years, have illegally emigrated to the U.S.

Keep banging that drum.
Like I said, a huge number of them have shopping visas that let them simply drive over to the USA. It's far too easy to come either legally or illegally.

Old 07-08-2011, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Like I said, a huge number of them have shopping visas that let them simply drive over to the USA. It's far too easy to come either legally or illegally.
Cool story bro.

Old 07-08-2011, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmadinejad View Post
Cool story bro.
Yes. Something I see first hand very often. There are many people who cross over legally but never go back home. It's just too easy for them to do.

Nevermind the high unemployment rates, those don't deter them.

Old 07-08-2011, 08:56 AM

951 posts, read 616,596 times
Yeah except for like, the facts, they disagree with pretty much everything you are saying. Keep fear alive!

Old 07-08-2011, 10:47 AM

1,574 posts, read 788,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjay51 View Post
No, you are the one claiming we import immigrants. Specifically mexican immigrants. Then claiming we import them with the promise of a "free pass". You have revealed your agenda and desires.

We have a legal immigration system in place that has allowed approximately one million immigrants per year to achieve citizenship.

I guess you feel that the illegals should be exempt from this process, for what reason I can only guess.

You really need to understand the system prior to accusing others in opposition to your agenda of things not in evidence.
I have no idea where you get that I feel illegals should be exempt from the process. You must be reading someone else's posts. I've specifically said the "process" should be expanded to allow more people to participate.

I don't claim we "import" them or give them a free pass. I'm asking how someone can say we need more of a particular type of immigrant without explaining why or how they expect that change to occur. Otherwise you might as well say we need free ponies for every child.

Old 07-08-2011, 12:17 PM

17,279 posts, read 24,961,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEHMarten View Post
They wouldn't be a "shadow workforce" if they were legal immigrants.
Again. Clueless.

The economic incentive to hire illegals is that they will work for less, and without the pesky employment law mandates of wages, benefits and recourse for employer abuse.

Legalize all illegal workers tomorrow, and they become entitled to said minimum wages, benefits, overtime, etc. Thus, creating a new vacuum and demand for illegal labor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEHMarten
How full do you think this country is, really?
We lose acres of farmland, forests and wildlands to development each year. Water resources in many parts of the country are stretched incredibly thin. Habitat for animals disappearing as development encroaches. But oh, we have a lot of land, right? We'll just pack everyone into urban environments.

Then, once we get everyone here, we have to deal with stretched social service budgets, bankrupt schools and police districts, health services groaning under the weight of anchor babies and the uninsured... but oh, no, there's plenty for everyone! We'll just take more from people who are here legally and give to the uninvited guests, because it's more important to provide for the citizens of OTHER countries, than to provide for Americans, right?

Sorry, but I am not willing to sacrifice my standard of living, way of life, or the environment so you can be a social justice bleeding heart hippie and import the world's impoverished to live and use the resources of the country. There are few places on earth these days where conditions are so bad that at least subsistence existence is impossible. The United States cannot be the safety valve and dumping ground for the world's poor AND maintain its own social services and high standard of living.

If that's something you're into, may I suggest you open up your living room couch for use by a homeless person. I assure you, you have more than enough space, food and water in your own house or apartment to accomodate the minimal needs of at LEAST 2-3 homeless people in addition to yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration