Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 01:36 PM

1,569 posts, read 1,207,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Well, if they live within the law, they won’t have to worry about understanding the charges.
WHAT

Quote:
As for contracts, if they have chosen to make the USA their home, it would behoove them to first learn the language. If I planned to move to a non-English-speaking country, I would consider it a MUST to first learn the language. We should not spend millions on interpreters or documents for people who are too lazy, or too arrogant to learn English.
Keep asserting your conclusion.

Argument: They should learn the language and therefore all government documents should be in English

Counter-argument: They would not be able to legally contract in English

Reply: They should learn the language and therefore all government documents should be in English.

Old 07-10-2011, 01:40 PM

1,574 posts, read 1,014,949 times
Quote:
Gasoline taxes? C’mon, you are clearly grasping at straws. You can’t actually believe when they purchase gas for their cars, they are covering costs for the myriad services they receive. What’s next. . . . taxes on cigarettes and Corona?
Answer the question. Do YOU pay gas tax or not? It's quite simple. Either you do or you don't. Whether illegals "cover costs" or not doesn't change your answer.

Quote:
Again, you must learn the difference between citizens and illegal aliens. Citizens have a right to be here, irrespective of their contributions, or lack thereof. Illegal aliens do not.
I know the difference. But it's irrelevant to the question of whether poor US citizens are freeloading or not.

Old 07-10-2011, 01:44 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,514,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmadinejad View Post
WHAT

Keep asserting your conclusion.

Argument: They should learn the language and therefore all government documents should be in English

Counter-argument: They would not be able to legally contract in English

Reply: They should learn the language and therefore all government documents should be in English.
This issue has been debated ad nauseam. Bottom line: Don’t come to this country illegally and expect to be accommodated at taxpayers’ expense. If you are here legally, and want to assimilate, learn English.

Old 07-10-2011, 01:47 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,393,947 times
Quote:
Um, yes. I've said as much. These are all good incentives for them to learn English. But if they choose not to, that is no business of mine.

I mean, great, you have anecdotes where Mexicans (presumably illegal, right?) demand that employees speak English. I think they're probably being a little silly. But this is not being enforced legally. This is a person complaining in a department store. That might be the least important public policy issue of our time.

Sorry charlie, but when these people steal red handed, and they have been caught, some have not, that costs us money, we pay when they steal. This is not only about these people complaining i am trying to make you understand, they scream, yell, bit-- about why we don't all speak Spanish, since the majority are Spanish speaking people in our Country. So they say. And sorry but when they lay a hand on the women at the register, that is another story. And they do, they get so upight, i believe some of them do understand english but play dumb, who are the dumb ones we are. And they have been caught stealing, and trying to exchange items from a different store, going to tell me they don't know what they are doing, or are they playing dumb.

If they want to move to this Country and do it legally no problem, but when they come over our borders, illegally, they have no rights at all as far as i and many on this forum agree.

Old 07-10-2011, 01:48 PM

Quote:
This issue has been debated ad nauseam. Bottom line: Don’t come to this country illegally and expect to be accommodated at taxpayers’ expense. If you are here legally, and want to assimilate, learn English.
Bottom line: I disagree with everything you said, and repeating your argument might be the least convincing way of debating anything.

But then I'm talking to someone who sees no problem with someone not understanding the charges being brought against them, so whatever.

Old 07-10-2011, 01:48 PM

1,574 posts, read 1,014,949 times
Is everyone here cool with the US government doing business with actual, real US Citizens in spanish? Should there be massive re-education campaigns in, for example, puerto rico?

Old 07-10-2011, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
Sorry charlie, but when these people steal red handed, and they have been caught, some have not, that costs us money, we pay when they steal. This is not only about these people complaining i am trying to make you understand, they scream, yell, bit-- about why we don't all speak Spanish, since the majority are Spanish speaking people in our Country. And sorry but when they lay a hand on the women at the register, that is another story. And they do, they get so upight, i believe some of them do understand english but play dumb, who are the dumb ones we are.

If they want to move to this Country and do it legally no problem, but when they come over our borders, illegally, they have no rights at all as far as i and many on this forum agree.
If they steal something or attack store employees, they should be charged with those crimes. No one here disagrees with that.

Old 07-10-2011, 01:55 PM

Quote:

Benicar; save it, some will never understand they are the problem, this is why we have the problems we do. Most Americans i feel are sick of illegals invading this Country!

Old 07-10-2011, 03:44 PM

Quote:
If they steal something or attack store employees, they should be charged with those crimes. No one here disagrees with that.

Some have been jailed. But i do not blame the store, they do not want to see rioting outside the store, with Mexican flags flying. It is a catch 22 problem, damn if you do and damn if you don't.

Look for crying out loud i have taught my own self italian from online, tell me that these people can't learn a lick of English, don't buy it, they do this purposely, and i have even been told this. Do you know that some really do speak english, but when they are out, the will only speak Spanish, i have been told this, don't think the person was lying to me, i have no reason to believe they would lie.

Persone pigre non guadagnare alcun rispetto!

Old 07-10-2011, 04:04 PM

148 posts, read 85,133 times
So someone told you that people speak English but only speak Spanish outside just to tick those Americans off and if the store arrests someone for shoplifting there will be riots outside the store with Mexican flags?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.